C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Test drove a C55 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Thanks for the info. I got it now.

And in the event that instead of driving all the way back to IL I decided to just have the car shipped, I just pay the seller extra for shipping cost and he ships the car with his plates right?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
To answer your question about the 20-30 mph roll seeming weak, here is some insight from my own car, a S55 but I have the N/A engine that is not supercharged and more similar to the C55.

It is very strong below and at 25mph, and from around 28mph to 42mph it is a bit weaker and doesn't give you that big push if you start from there. 43mph and higher it gets stronger again - and takes off. I think all these engines have weaker and stronger power bands, it isn't always 100% power all the time - you have to get to know where they are stronger at with experience and time.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by sm00thguy88
Thanks for the info. I got it now.

And in the event that instead of driving all the way back to IL I decided to just have the car shipped, I just pay the seller extra for shipping cost and he ships the car with his plates right?
'

Problem with auto shipping is you dont get a time ceratin for pick-up and delivery and the cost varies (you're probably looking at min: $500-800 bucks); I'd fly and drive my new car home!! Western PA along the PA Turnpike is gorgeous this time of year!!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Thanks! Makes me wanna limit my search options to the ones that still have extended warranty... though it will cut my selection drastically, and these cars at not that common to begin with
You wouldn't necessarily have to do that, just maybe a little more research. If you call your local dealer with your VIN they should be able to give you the warranty history and see what has been fixed already. Chances are, if you're buying a car with 50k miles most of the problems are already corrected.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:41 PM

2006 C55 ////AMG
just drove an m3 probably one ofthe funnest car i have ever driven in my life.
If you like the sound of a V8 get a C55 AMG and if you want a sedan
If you like a small nimble car that feels like its built to race and is just about as fast as a c55 i would get an m3, dont be a narrowminded mb fan that only sees mbs as an option like i did
Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Except that most BMWs go to hell once they age (and that doesn't take very long). Plus, all the controls are wierd and the dash looks very dated. A BMW is not a car I'd own without a VERY good extended warranty. I've worked on too many BMWs and Audi/VWs to know I'd never buy one. Mercedes may not have as much available as far as mods like BMW does, but from my experience Mercedes builds a much better car.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I had a e46 325i and the car went to crap around 100k miles the interior was trashed the a pillars and plastics were falling apart entrance moldings falling off. The leather was badly cracked and out of shape. My C55 has over 100k and it still looks new. The leather looks great nothing is falling apart and it's gray interior my BMW was black and still looked trashed. My 3 also had a lot more issues. My fan clutch seized in it and made the fan come loose and took out my radiator water pump coolant reservoir and lines. It cost me over 2k in repairs I also had to replace tentioners twice and my replace window regulators 5 times the trans shifted funny and had a delayed engagement from reverse to drive. My SRS and check engine was on when I sold it.. Who knows what that was... I had other issues too, but that's all that comes to mind.

Last edited by JonMBZ; 11-02-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by C55 4 life
If you like a small nimble car that feels like its built to race and is just about as fast as a c55 i would get an m3, dont be a narrowminded mb fan that only sees mbs as an option like i did

Go to the M3 Forums dude!! The two cars are by no means mutually exclusive or logically exhaustive. I saw no mention in his original post about wanting an M3. He's in the research stage. Many MB guys have also owned or do own BMWs, author included. What's your point about the M3?? Are you admitting to being "narrowminded??" ("dont be a narrowminded mb fan that only sees mbs as an option like i did[/QUOTE]" 7 Posts? I figured!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 PM

C55 AMG
I was actually cross shopping between an E46 M3, C55 and S4 originally.
Not to trash the M3 or BMW, but the more I learned about the M3, the lesser I became enthusiastic about it. After lurking several BMW forums, and reading numerous posts about SMG problems, subframe tearing issue, vanos failures etc... that just did it for me. And the E46 M3 being so common here in IL, and it usually being driven by arrogant college boys didn't help either. I crossed out the S4 after learning about reliability issues as well.

So that's how I ended up where I am right now. And I'm glad to learn that so far, the common issues with C55s are just seal leaks, failing heated seats and other small nuisances. It being somewhat rare is also a bonus.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
I was actually cross shopping between an E46 M3, C55 and S4 originally.
Not to trash the M3 or BMW, but the more I learned about the M3, the lesser I became enthusiastic about it. After lurking several BMW forums, and reading numerous posts about SMG problems, subframe tearing issue, vanos failures etc... that just did it for me. And the E46 M3 being so common here in IL, and it usually being driven by arrogant college boys didn't help either. I crossed out the S4 after learning about reliability issues as well.

So that's how I ended up where I am right now. And I'm glad to learn that so far, the common issues with C55s are just seal leaks, failing heated seats and other small nuisances. It being somewhat rare is also a bonus.
Yes, lots (but not all) M3 drivers can be arrogant, "lookie me" type of guys. It always feels good when I dust em in the Kleemann and they have no idea what just happened.

In IL, the C55 is a LOT more rare than the ubiquitous M3 and even M5. I've only seen one in the past 6 months in the Chicagoland area. Most people, and we have discussed this, have no idea what the C32/55 is?? There's tons of M cars running around the North Shore, mostly unmodded.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 Model X DM | 2007 E63 | 2006 E46 M3
Originally Posted by C55 4 life
I started with c32 then off to m3. Now I'm looking into c55 because of its an "outlaw with a tuxedo"(sedan with v8). M3s are cool but they're everywhere especially since they are a lot cheaper anyone (irresponsible people) can get their hands on one.

Last edited by jchen6; 11-04-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM

C55 AMG
While testing out another C55 the other day, I chanced upon a BMW 335i in the lot. It was an 08 with 40K miles and a sticker of $26k. Since it was within my budget and just costs around a grand or two more than a fresh C55, I decided to take it out for a spin as well.

It's a definitely a fine car as well. Doesn't feel as heavy as the C55, but
still feels planted on the ground when doing quick corners. The bi-turbos really gives this car a nice acceleration kick. I also checked, and this already has the auxilliary oil cooler, so I shouldn't have the oil temp problems of the first batch of 335is. Apart from that, it's also doesn't seem to be plaqued by as many known problems as the E46 M3.

Now I'm torn.

Stock vs stock, straight line acceleration, matic vs matic, the C55 should win right?

Anybody here who had a relatively long term ownership or experience with the 335i? How would you rate it against the C55?

I have enjoyed driving both cars so I'm just really concerned about long term reliability at this point... and I have this funny feeling that even though the C55 is an older car, it will be more reliable overall. Is my hunch right? True Delta and Consumer Reports seem to agree since they have low reliability ratings on the 335i. But of course, one can always argue that if it's just a grand more, they would definitely get the car that's 2-3 years newer. Inputs?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by jturkel
From the factory, C55 AMGs are naturally aspirated (NA) V8s. They are not supercharged (do not have a kompressor). There are some that exist that have been modified by say, Kleemann, or Renntech. But from the factory, no they will not have a kompressed V8 badge.

The E55s (W211), SL55, CLS55, S55 (depending on yr), CL55 (depending on yr) will have the V8 kompressor. Oooo and some G55s too (depending on yr)

The C32 and SLK32, for comparison and reference purposes, has a Kompressor V6 badge
^ that.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
While testing out another C55 the other day, I chanced upon a BMW 335i in the lot. It was an 08 with 40K miles and a sticker of $26k. Since it was within my budget and just costs around a grand or two more than a fresh C55, I decided to take it out for a spin as well.

It's a definitely a fine car as well. Doesn't feel as heavy as the C55, but
still feels planted on the ground when doing quick corners. The bi-turbos really gives this car a nice acceleration kick. I also checked, and this already has the auxilliary oil cooler, so I shouldn't have the oil temp problems of the first batch of 335is. Apart from that, it's also doesn't seem to be plaqued by as many known problems as the E46 M3.

Now I'm torn. You sound like Natalie Imbruglia

Stock vs stock, straight line acceleration, matic vs matic, the C55 should win right?

Anybody here who had a relatively long term ownership or experience with the 335i? How would you rate it against the C55?

I have enjoyed driving both cars so I'm just really concerned about long term reliability at this point... and I have this funny feeling that even though the C55 is an older car, it will be more reliable overall. Is my hunch right? True Delta and Consumer Reports seem to agree since they have low reliability ratings on the 335i. But of course, one can always argue that if it's just a grand more, they would definitely get the car that's 2-3 years newer. Inputs?
335 is a great car, no doubt. Jerry from Eurocharged had one for a few years and it was very quick, particularly with a tune and some mods!! I drove it at Morrocco and it flew. Ran a 12.5 at about 112-114 if I recall, quicker than my C32. Again, it was modded though, so the comparison is probably a bit unfair. 335 is still a very nice car and I wont slight it. Depending what you want to put into it, a C55 will probably not be quite a quick or fast as a 335. Still, a C55 with headers and some cat deletes is a great sounding car and very reliable. Its your call UMP!!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:46 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Depending what you want to put into it, a C55 will probably not be quite a quick or fast as a 335.

It was hard to tell just via a regular test drive, but since they weigh almost the same and if I'm not mistaken, the C55 has more hp and torque at the wheels, the C55 should be quicker right?

I'm not planning to do any performance mods on the car I will be getting so I'm just concerned about stock performance.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
A stock 335i is slower than a stock C55 in terms of acceleration. However, a ECU modded 335i is going to quicker than a stock C55. Handling wise, the 335i has a slight edge over the C55.

The C55 AMG is an older car that was a competitor for the E46 M3. The 335i is a newer current model that is step below the current E90/92 M3 and C63 AMG.

What's more important to you?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
A stock 335i is slower than a stock C55 in terms of acceleration. However, a ECU modded 335i is going to quicker than a stock C55. Handling wise, the 335i has a slight edge over the C55.

The C55 AMG is an older car that was a competitor for the E46 M3. The 335i is a newer current model that is step below the current E90/92 M3 and C63 AMG.

What's more important to you?
\
+1, if money-no-object in this class, I can't think of a better all around car than a C63 with P31 package and LSD. Bar NONE!!!

If money is issue, I'd look at either a 335i or the C55. I know that a highly tuned 335i like Jerry's can flat out rock. I think his was an 08. Problem with tuned 335i is that the dealer wont touch em with warranty if modded (like CPO cars)
Old 11-05-2010, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
Wrong. Dinan chip does NOT void factory warranty and does put you right in the market of 408hp. Check the site and call BMW if you don't believe me. First thing that pops up when you google 335 Dinan is -

DINAN S3 335i = 408 hp
www.DINANcars.com As seen in Car & Driver. Keep your Warranty Coverage.

Food for thought.

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
\
+1, if money-no-object in this class, I can't think of a better all around car than a C63 with P31 package and LSD. Bar NONE!!!

If money is issue, I'd look at either a 335i or the C55. I know that a highly tuned 335i like Jerry's can flat out rock. I think his was an 08. Problem with tuned 335i is that the dealer wont touch em with warranty if modded (like CPO cars)
Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 AM

2004 CLK 55
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
they are amazing cars and i'm so glad i bought it! all my other choices don't even compare to this car. easy way to fix your issue, if you do buy the car, turn the key to the on position, hold the gas pedal down for five seconds, let go of the pedal and then turn the key one more time to turn on the car. you'll see a difference
Great info. Will this also work on a CLK 55?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by AMGY
Great info. Will this also work on a CLK 55?
yes, no one has ever told me if it has or not, but with all of the similarities in the car an educated guess would say yes. if you have the c5 vette, i don't think you should go with the clk55. i think you should go for a 4 door
Old 12-27-2010, 04:36 AM

2004 CLK 55
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
yes, no one has ever told me if it has or not, but with all of the similarities in the car an educated guess would say yes. if you have the c5 vette, i don't think you should go with the clk55. i think you should go for a 4 door
Thanks for the info

Im replacing the Vette with the CLK otherwise I would consider a a 4 door.

Since the CLK forum seems kind of dead I will ask here......for the guys running the secondary cat delete......are you running welded in test pipes or hollowing out the cats? The only high flow cats Ive seen are around 1k.

Anyone running aftermarket sway bars? Good? Bad?