C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Winter Tires Mounted on Stock Rims (Dunlop SP WinterSport)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Winter Tires Mounted on Stock Rims (Dunlop SP WinterSport)

To anyone interested, yesterday I had a complete set of winter tires (Dunlop SP Winter Sport) mounted on my stock C55 rims and had my summer tires (Continental ContiSport Contact) dismounted.

All said and done with the process, I am very pleased with the results. I purchased a full set of the Winter Sport tires from a C63 owner on the forum. The tires had been used one season and have 90% tread left. With temperatures reaching highs in the mid thirties and dipping to lows in the teens here in Virginia currently, I knew it was getting to be that time where the winter tires could come out.

Of particular interest, the sizing on the tires was intended for C63 rims not C55 rims.

Fronts: 235/40/18
Rears: 265/35/18

I took a risk in purchasing them without being positive the size would fit. Thanks to forum postings here, I was able to make an estimated guess that the 265 width in the rear would fit my stock suspension. Thankfully, no rubbing issues at all and I am very pleased with the overall result.

Make a note, 265 in the rear with stock rims looks a bit silly to me given that the rubber lip hangs over the rim by about a millimeter. My 245 summer tires in the rear smoothly lined up with the rim lip.

I got a steal on the tires (as I mentioned they had 90% tread left) and only paid $400 shipped for the set - they normally cost close to $1000 when new. I took them to a reputable tire shop near my office that I trust (Virginia Tire and Auto in Chantilly, Metrotech Drive) to have the summer tires removed and the winter tires mounted and balanced. Total cost $145. I preferred to do the switch from summer to winter this way, saving me some money in the short term that would have otherwise been spent should I have bought new rims for the winter tires. Ultimately it is a losing venture ($ wise), however, so is owning a car.

With regards to the feel of the ride with the winter tires, I notice a more cushioned feel when driving and also (and this could just be in my mind) a more spongy grip when accelerating. As mentioned, no rubbing issues to speak of. Any change in ride feel is so minimal that I am already used to the way the winter tires drive. It also is interesting how noticeably softer the winter tires remain (to touch) in sub-freezing temperatures, while my summer tires essentially 'froze' and became like rocks now that the temperatures are so low.

I apologize for having only one grainy pic, I would be happy to take some better ones, just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Tires Mounted on Stock Rims (Dunlop SP WinterSport)-wintersetup.jpg  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
I just did the same thing on my 32 with the same type of tires. I bought them off ebay and had them installed at walmart like I do with all my tires. The Dunlops have that rubber lip to protect the rims from curb rash. I just drove out to Pittsburgh where they had three or four inches of snow and had no problems at all. All in all I'm very pleased with them.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
The Dunlop Wintersports are great tires. Been using them for 2 years on 2 diff cars now (S2000 and C55). Never had any issues driving through any snow with them. I used the OEM recommended 225/40/18 all around on my OEM wheels. Do they have Discount Tire in VA? Whenever I need new tires mounted and balanced, I just take it to them as they only charge $60 for a complete set.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cee Fiddy Five
What do you guys do with your summer tires?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
I store mine in the garage until the winter. If you don't have room, some tire shops will store them for you for a seasonal fee.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by alpha8a
The Dunlop Wintersports are great tires. Been using them for 2 years on 2 diff cars now (S2000 and C55). Never had any issues driving through any snow with them. I used the OEM recommended 225/40/18 all around on my OEM wheels. Do they have Discount Tire in VA? Whenever I need new tires mounted and balanced, I just take it to them as they only charge $60 for a complete set.
IMHO, I really have to look at tire shops on a case by case basis, based on a number of factors including: 1) online reviews of the place, 2) any past experience with the shop, 3) proximity and convenience, 4) pricing.

I have gone to a National Tire and Battery (Chantilly) near my office in the past when I had a tire blow out. While the prices at NTB are a bit lower than VA Tire and Auto (would have cost me $100 for the complete dismount, mount, and balance), I have read reviews online about NTB using an airgun instead of torque wrench to tighten the lugs and thereby crossthreading the lugs. When I last went to NTB, I didn't specifically ask about this, however, I did find that in all likelihood NTB had used an airgun when replacing the wheel on my vehicle. Luckily there was no crossthreading. When I took my car to VA Tire and Auto I discussed this with the technician (Steve) and he said that all shops should be using torque wrenches regardless, but that he would ensure that my lugs were either hand-tightened or torque-wrenched. After picking up my car, I did a spot check on the lugs with my wrench and found that he had stuck to his word, none of the lugs were overly tightened to the point where I would be sweating just from the effort of loosening the lugs from one wheel (like it was at NTB).
Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
What do you guys do with your summer tires?
If there's anything left I stick in the basement, but usually they're pretty burned up.

Trending Topics

Old 03-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Temps are staying warm enough now that I just had my summer shoes put back on today. Here we go spring!

Anyone else take their winter tires off yet?

The summers actually give me a harsher, louder ride, but the car feels like a sports car again, especially in the turns.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by mrobinso
Temps are staying warm enough now that I just had my summer shoes put back on today. Here we go spring!

Anyone else take their winter tires off yet?

The summers actually give me a harsher, louder ride, but the car feels like a sports car again, especially in the turns.
+1, I too took mine off yesterday because they are not recommended (Winters) over 45 degrees F as they may start to wear and chunk. My Bridgestone Blizzaks DM V1s were great this winter on the ML!!

I agree the the summer performance are louder and more harsh ride as the winters are like gumballs (soft and quiet)