Fluid MotorUnion - W203 C55 AMG Midsection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few
Fluid MotorUnion - W203 C55 AMG Midsection

Our fabrication garage has been hard at work last night and this morning to start and finish a W203 C55's midsection, and we're pretty proud of the work, so we figured we'd like to show the lovely folks at MBWorld.

For this particular midsection, the owner requested that we only delete the primary catalytic converters* and replace the pipe up to and including the Y, just before the resonator box. We chose to utilize the original header flanges to ensure proper fitment without wasting time (or money) cutting and re-cutting different flange designs. The pipe is 2.5″ stainless steel from head(ers) to toe with a custom-made Y-pipe at the back end. To make sure that fitment was as close to OEM as possible, we fabricated and welded on the brackets you can see just past the second set of oxygen sensors. We placed the oxygen sensors right where they would fit on the OEM midsection, as well.

In order to combat the obvious CEL (check engine light) that would come on when the vehicle realized its cats were missing*, we custom-fabricated a set of defoulers for the bottommost oxygen sensors. Defoulers, if you don’t know, space the oxygen sensors farther away from the exhaust in order to “confuse” the vehicle’s computer into believing that the catalytic converters are still installed*, eliminating that pesky CEL from bothering you 24/7.

As always, Tom and Craig did excellent work on the welds (including the defoulers), and the end result really shows through when you get a chance to look at the underside of this C55. In terms of the exhaust note, it’s definitely gained a good growl and aggressive note in the higher rpms, with a more subtle grunt in the lower end. After the test drive**, everything is running great. Since pictures are always more fun than words, here are a few, starting with a shot of the OEM midsection we replaced:

*It goes without saying that according to state and federal emission laws, the removal of catalytic converters renders a vehicle strictly for off-road and track use only.

**Given the other asterik, we obviously test-drove this car off-road. We had some dirt tires lying around.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Looks nice. So, is this a product or just a sample of what you can build?
Would it fit a C32?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few
Originally Posted by Lenin
Looks nice. So, is this a product or just a sample of what you can build?
Would it fit a C32?
We don't think it will fit a C32, sadly.

In terms of production, for now, this is a one-off piece for this particular customer. We like to keep our designs close, just in case we decide to change our minds, though. As always, we're more than willing to discuss fabrication options, just hit us up at the e-mail in our signature.

Thanks for the positive comments!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK55 AMG
What ever happened to the C32 intake you guys were building
Old 12-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few
Originally Posted by c32kompressor
What ever happened to the C32 intake you guys were building
We haven't been able to do testing with just the intake yet (we've only done testing on a C32 with existing modifications), and we're not about to start producing and marketing a product that we haven't tested extensively and proved to make good power gains. We stand behind our products 100%, and until we're able to provide hard facts and produce solid proof, we don't think it's right to start hawking items with our name on it.

With a limited manpower supply and the need to continually grow our small business, the C32 intake has moved towards the backburner. But rest assured, as soon as we reopen the books on the intake testing, MBWorld will be the first place to know about it.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:30 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by FluidMotorUnion
We haven't been able to do testing with just the intake yet (we've only done testing on a C32 with existing modifications), and we're not about to start producing and marketing a product that we haven't tested extensively and proved to make good power gains. We stand behind our products 100%, and until we're able to provide hard facts and produce solid proof, we don't think it's right to start hawking items with our name on it.

With a limited manpower supply and the need to continually grow our small business, the C32 intake has moved towards the backburner. But rest assured, as soon as we reopen the books on the intake testing, MBWorld will be the first place to know about it.
I like these guys lol
Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Wow! Beutiful welds! Do you happen to have sound clips of what it sounded like when you were finished?

I would love to get my car louder, but with the lack of available bolt-on long tube headers I just don't see the point of spending money to buy headers. I just don't think I would bother with short tubes.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 PM

05 C55
the only downfall that I see, is that many of us have removed the oem resonator already....maybe extend the mid-pipe, past where the resonator (would have been)...but nice job!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Looks great. But wouldn't a X pipe or True duel work better for a v8?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few
Originally Posted by 91RS
Wow! Beutiful welds! Do you happen to have sound clips of what it sounded like when you were finished?

I would love to get my car louder, but with the lack of available bolt-on long tube headers I just don't see the point of spending money to buy headers. I just don't think I would bother with short tubes.
Thanks for the comments on the welds! I'll see if I can shoot some video of the exhaust note this morning; it all depends on whether or not the owner will be coming today to receive his car ('cause if he is, we'll be too busy cleaning out the interior and making it nice and pretty for his arrival). If I manage to snag the video, I'll post it in this thread.

Originally Posted by mkonei
the only downfall that I see, is that many of us have removed the oem resonator already....maybe extend the mid-pipe, past where the resonator (would have been)...but nice job!!!
Thanks! If the C55's owner had requested it, we easily could've extended the midpipe past the resonator box. If it were up to us 100% of the time, we'd probably do that; the C55 produces such a nice tone that it's a shame to cover it up under the guise of better emissions

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Looks great. But wouldn't a X pipe or True duel work better for a v8?
They would, you're absolutely right, but due to the extra time (and money) involved in modifying the exhaust to that degree, the owner decided to stick with the Y-pipe design. Plus, since he wanted the midsection piping to converge at the resonator box (a single pipe), it added some design constraints, so to speak. We love doing X-pipes, though; when you make one by hand, there's not too much else that looks and sounds that good.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:17 PM

2005 E55
As always, your exhaust work looks sick!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM

05 C55
ill bite, even though its not exactly what i was looking for... so i hope you made a jig. pm me a price to duplicate, but with enough pipe to make it further than the back of my MIA resonator. the pipe can be be blunt cut, i can make the connection to the back half. you should price it in mild as well, it might sell better on a c class...just a thought
Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM

05 C55
oh well, guess ill buy some new wheels instead
Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few
PM Sent!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few
Our customer posted a video for everyone to hear so feel free to have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZS2I1Rxxs