C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Help, Burning smell after 5 minutes of driving C 32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
Question Help, Burning smell after 5 minutes of driving C 32

I have an '02 and had to replace the secondary air injection pump and relay. Since that time there is a burning smell after 5 minutes of driving. The smell last about 10-20 seconds. I took it back to the repair shop and they replaced my cabin filters but this is still occuring. If I turn the car off and go to the hood it is coming from the passenger side. They claim there is nothing wrong. Any ideas...... thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by heartC32
I have an '02 and had to replace the secondary air injection pump and relay. Since that time there is a burning smell after 5 minutes of driving. The smell last about 10-20 seconds. I took it back to the repair shop and they replaced my cabin filters but this is still occuring. If I turn the car off and go to the hood it is coming from the passenger side. They claim there is nothing wrong. Any ideas...... thanks
Does the burning substance smell like oil?
If so, a common issue with the M112K is oil leaking out and making its way to the exhaust manifolds. It takes a few minutes for the manifolds to heat up and burn off the oil (hence the 5 min delay in noticing the smell).

In the event it is oil related:

Check out this post for a diagram and more info.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Also check your oil filter housing. I've seen some leak at the top (not tight enough) and it runs down onto the belt and makes a huge mess.