C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 Fuel Sender Problem. Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
C32 Fuel Sender Problem. Help?

I'm having what I think is a fuel sender problem (based on my research) with my C32. I noticed while driving today that my fuel level was dropping fast. I thought maybe it was a leveling problem so I filled up and it reads 3/4-full. Took only 8 gallons of gas. I found the following DIY and decided to get the part numbers and look for prices:

http://www.installuniversity.com/mb/w203/w203/fp.html

I looked at my '04 C32 and here's what I found in the car:

A203 470 1741 -left- Marwal Systems 0975 303 9902
A203 470 2494 - right- Marwal Systems 0975 203 9906

Upon a parts search I was appalled.

It seems the left unit is $450 and the right is over $1,100

It seems the units are normally about $500-$600 for the pair but these are specific to the C32...

I couldn't find anyone complaining about that on here, which doesn't seem possible given the outrageous cost, so I'm hoping that you guys may have already worked out a better solution...

Any help/advice? Has anyone encountered this problem on a C32?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK55 AMG
Wasnt there a thread about this a little while back?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:33 PM

C32 AMG
I did a search but didn't find anything...
Old 01-04-2011, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A teal Vespa with tassles and glitter. You know you're jealous.
I just actually went through this myself Christmas weekend. My tank would read half full even when it should be empty. I used the same link you posted. I got my tool at sears.com A lot cheaper!!! Below is the name and part number.

Lock Technology LTI940 Gas Tank Fuel Pump Removal Tool
Sold By: UnbeatableSale.com, Inc.

SPM222404880

I opened my passenger side fuel tank first since I didnt have to disconnect the fuel lines etc. When I opened it ( recommend that the tanks are NOT full, makes for a headache) I had to drain the tank, upon draining it my brother and I noticed the fuel level float was stuck in the air, it wasnt sitting on the surface of the fuel. My brother touched it and it fell down. We messed with it some to see if it was hanging up and found it was so we tweaked it ever so slightly and tried again and had no issue. So we put everything back together and filled it back up. I also added some fuel system cleaner and ran it through. The first tank was sketchy but after that it seems to be accurate but I can only get it to read 7/8 of a tank and not actually full. I need to replace my sensor unit once I get a chance to break away from work. I just made a 1200 mile road trip and it seemed to read pretty accurately in regards to the needle recording the amount left vs range left on LCD display.

The fuel pump assembly itself looks to be a very interesting task to take on, one which I will be tackling hopefully in the next few weeks.

As for the price of the sensor look on google, I found some far cheaper than that and they were OEM parts not chinese knockoffs. I will try to find the site.

***As a side note to clarify the "tweaking" of the float arm, my brother and I are both mechanically inclined, I myself am a mechanical/PLC engineer and he is a UTI trained mechanic as well as a USAF F-16 crew chief, it was to see if we could stop it from hanging up. So you are more than welcome to try this if you want, just wanted to clarify it wasn't weekend backyard mechanics doing this.

Andrew
Old 01-05-2011, 10:49 PM

C32 AMG
Thanks for the response. Mine is back to acting normally for now. Perhaps it too was a stuck float. (something already in my mind before your post). It's funny you mentioned your occupations in the disclaimer. I'm an industrial/systems engineer and I would likely get my brother who is also and IE/Professor and good friend a network systems architect to help on the project, lol.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A teal Vespa with tassles and glitter. You know you're jealous.
Haha. Sometimes it helps to have that extra set of eyes and hands, especially on this. It was my brother who noticed the float hanging up and we tweaked it because it was hitting the fuel line.

I figured I would mention my occupation just to add peace of mind for some people, didn't want them to assume that we just started bending stuff on a whim.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 C63 AMG, 05 C55 AMG
My car did this and the driver side float was going bad. The connecton for the plug to the unit, it was not getting a good connection, and would do this intermittently
Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
does anyone have the Part number for C32 Fuel Pump?

thank you!