C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

To buy or not to buy a C55....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG, BMW 535i, Mazda Cx-7, Nissan 240sx
It's a great car, but look out for engine mounts, gaskets, and suspension issues.
Make sure the suspension doesn't squeak, its pretty common.

I think the price is alittle high unless your getting a warranty for a few years.
For that price you could get a E55 or even a decent S class
Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by austinholloman
S600 and S65- Just look up what monthly full coverage is for a guy around 25 years of age! HA its another car payment. Next!
Austin, its not all about you!!!

The insurance rates are often irrelevant to those purchasing an AMG and yes, the S600 and S65 are in Corvette territory, BUT he's asking if the price of the C55 is reasonable and consensus is, its NOT!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
Right, its not about me but it about the reply where you stated a 180k car is a reasonable price and it may seem to be but its NOT when you look into other areas. Insurance rates are irrelevant to someone buying a used 180k car thats now only worth 40k? If he can afford a 30k car than he can afford a 40k car but with an insurance payment of $300 bucks he may not be able to... Insurance on a C55 vs a S65 is night and day. Look it up. The point was to bring all elements of owning a 180k used car. Not ME.

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Austin, its not all about you!!!

The insurance rates are often irrelevant to those purchasing an AMG and yes, the S600 and S65 are in Corvette territory, BUT he's asking if the price of the C55 is reasonable and consensus is, its NOT!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 PM

UAV
Not trying to be an a$$ or anything but in my OP I admitted that the price is a little high. Which to me isn't a huge issue, yeah it may be a couple thousand higher than the normal price but like I said before there isn't anything a little negotiating can't fix. Quite frankly I'd be ok with paying a little higher than normal just because I'd rather have a low mileage car, that is if it has a clear title. The other is, yes I am aware there are other cars for around the same price that are faster/bigger/etc but those are not my only qualifiers for buying cars. As austinholloman said throwing insurance into the equation is for sure a factor. I'm 28 y.o., have a clean record and still the insurance is quite expensive.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55
I paid $24,500 with 11k on the odometer 5 months ago, The MB dealership had it listed for $29,999 before I haggled. I was going to drive far for a higher mileage C55 that was listed for under 25k but then I said, I have to al least go look at this car.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Originally Posted by 559EVO
I paid $24,500 with 11k on the odometer 5 months ago, The MB dealership had it listed for $29,999 before I haggled. I was going to drive far for a higher mileage C55 that was listed for under 25k but then I said, I have to al least go look at this car.
You got a good deal. Anything wrong with the car?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

24k is close to the auction price for a car in the same condition so I am not sure how this happened?! So how this buyer got the seller down to whole sale price???

Originally Posted by mrobinso
You got a good deal. Anything wrong with the car?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Nice price

That was a GREAT deal for you my friend IMHO
Old 01-07-2011, 11:45 AM

2005 C55
So far I have 15,500 miles with no issues, The key is to know that the dealer especially a MB dealer is not paying anywhere over 20k for this car, especially if it was a trade in for a newer MB. Then you have to **** these guys off! I have been buying cars for 15 years for myself or for others, my whole family takes me with them to the dealership to handle all the talking. When your younger its harder to do and they dont take you as serious, you need to always keep a straight face, show up in a nice car and even if its not paid off tell them it is. Remember they lie too your face also, bringing a family member is ok but dont show up with friends. I do my research so that I know more about the car than the salemen, tell them your intentions that you will only spend _______ amount untill they match you. Then once they go down on price hesitate and tell them you need to sleep on this decision, they will then offer lower or call you with a lower price. If they dont call then just call them. You have to show them that you have the ***** to walk out on the deal. Alot of people are scared of an argument with salesmen, alot of people also think if they dont buy the car now it will be sold to somebody else. If your scared park away from the lot and watch it for two hours then give them a call and tell them you hesitated because you just cant afford that price or blame it on the Wife saying its too much, that works too.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by AlphaMikeGolf
Not trying to be an a$$ or anything but in my OP I admitted that the price is a little high. Which to me isn't a huge issue, yeah it may be a couple thousand higher than the normal price but like I said before there isn't anything a little negotiating can't fix. Quite frankly I'd be ok with paying a little higher than normal just because I'd rather have a low mileage car, that is if it has a clear title. The other is, yes I am aware there are other cars for around the same price that are faster/bigger/etc but those are not my only qualifiers for buying cars. As austinholloman said throwing insurance into the equation is for sure a factor. I'm 28 y.o., have a clean record and still the insurance is quite expensive.

Here's another issue. 11 K on a 5 year old (6) car? Salvage title that was washed in another state?? Happens all the time. Some states require that the salvage designation follow the car its whole life "for that state". Problem is, if it was originally OUT OF STATE there's no guarantee that it wasn't taken to a state that removes the salvage title (or rebuilt if you will). Regardless, drive it and see if you like it.................like poster above ^^^^ says, negotiate and negotiate some more.........................

OT: CarFax/AutoChek misses things all the time too, sometimes through no fault of their own. For example, if the car was in a bad wreck and the owner and/or insurer (carrier) doesnt report it to Polk/Carfax (and many don't) and the body shop who repairs it doesnt (and most don't, particularly on cash repair deals), the Car Fax and also AutoCheck (which I believe is Experian) miss accident damage many times because of this. There's been much litigation on this issue if you Google it...........
Old 01-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
So far I have 15,500 miles with no issues, The key is to know that the dealer especially a MB dealer is not paying anywhere over 20k for this car, especially if it was a trade in for a newer MB. Then you have to **** these guys off! I have been buying cars for 15 years for myself or for others, my whole family takes me with them to the dealership to handle all the talking. When your younger its harder to do and they dont take you as serious, you need to always keep a straight face, show up in a nice car and even if its not paid off tell them it is. Remember they lie too your face also, bringing a family member is ok but dont show up with friends. I do my research so that I know more about the car than the salemen, tell them your intentions that you will only spend _______ amount untill they match you. Then once they go down on price hesitate and tell them you need to sleep on this decision, they will then offer lower or call you with a lower price. If they dont call then just call them. You have to show them that you have the ***** to walk out on the deal. Alot of people are scared of an argument with salesmen, alot of people also think if they dont buy the car now it will be sold to somebody else. If your scared park away from the lot and watch it for two hours then give them a call and tell them you hesitated because you just cant afford that price or blame it on the Wife saying its too much, that works too.
Sounds like you have a good game plan. Fortunately for you, proximity of the car wasn't a factor when you were negotiating. A fair amount of bargaining power is lost when you can't physically visit the dealer. I had to negotiate via e-mails and phone calls and bluffing just doesn't have the same effect over those lines of communication.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 AM

UAV
Here's another issue. 11 K on a 5 year old (6) car? Salvage title that was washed in another state?? Happens all the time. Some states require that the salvage designation follow the car its whole life "for that state". Problem is, if it was originally OUT OF STATE there's no guarantee that it wasn't taken to a state that removes the salvage title (or rebuilt if you will). Regardless, drive it and see if you like it.................like poster above ^^^^ says, negotiate and negotiate some more.........................

OT: CarFax/AutoChek misses things all the time too, sometimes through no fault of their own. For example, if the car was in a bad wreck and the owner and/or insurer (carrier) doesnt report it to Polk/Carfax (and many don't) and the body shop who repairs it doesnt (and most don't, particularly on cash repair deals), the Car Fax and also AutoCheck (which I believe is Experian) miss accident damage many times because of this. There's been much litigation on this issue if you Google it...........

That's news to me, I was under the impression that a salvaged title stays with the vehicle it's whole "life".
Old 01-10-2011, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

I can attest to this first hand on one of my older cars. The Ex wife wrecked it more times than I have fingers or toes, and when I sold it, it had a CLEAR CARFAX

I went as far as to inform the new owner that this wasn't the case, and that the car was wrecked, as in 11K in damage for a Taurus

Morale of the story, Buyer beware, and cautious. If it sounds to good to be true, it just might be.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 AM

LADA 1600
That's very true. When I was buying my C55, I saw 3 cars that were damaged in a serious accident with a clean carfax.

Here are some tips on how to tell.

Front end collision:
- Front bumper uneven
- Black metal grill pieces are uneven, broken, missing
- Gaps around headlights uneven
- Sunroof doesn't close properly/leaks

Rear end collision:
- Rear plastic portion of headrests looks tampered with, or has marks. There is a safety feature where the headrests pop out forward in the event of a rear end crash. It is fairly tricky to restore the headrests, often resulting in scratching the surrounding surfaces with tools.
- Usual body panels don't align
- Trunk doesn't close properly, etc...

Even though Carfax may be clean, the vehicle can come with a repair report. See if any panels were replaced/fixed.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 AM

2005 C55 AMG
At some point you have to just bite the bullet and stop thinking about what could have happened with the car in its previous ownership. If you don't, you will never enjoy driving the car...Porsche guys are famous about this.

MB's are NEVER good investments, and its going to be worth LESS then what you paid for it. The best return on your investment will be in the enjoyment of owning and driving the car. So just make sure you do your research, ensure everything fits, works, and enjoy the car for what it is. And if you end up paying "too much," according to others, then the car is simply worth more to you, then somebody else
Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
24k is close to the auction price for a car in the same condition so I am not sure how this happened?! So how this buyer got the seller down to whole sale price???
this price reflects market value on this car. i keep on reiterating that statement, but it is true. a little over a year ago i paid 25,500 with the cpo and a clear title and excellent condition car yada yada with 25k. and this was in SF where cars are supposed to be expensive. they were originally asking 30k for it on craigslist. and for everyone talking about insurance prices, imagine what a 19 year old boy (not the parents!) is paying on a fully paid c55.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NADA Says that car is worth $26,650.... Thats $2500 less than NADA, where did you get your pricing?

Base Price $13,075 $15,000 $16,625 $20,425
Mileage: 11,000 $6,225 $6,225 $6,225 $6,225
Power Sunroof Std. Std. Std. Std.
Bose/Harmon Kardon Stereo Std. Std. Std. Std.
AMG Sport Package Std. Std. Std. Std.
See all options chosen
TOTAL PRICE $19,300 $21,225 $22,850 $26,650*
* This Retail price is based on a clean vehicle history report . Don't make a $26,650 mistake. Find out why AutoCheck is better than Carfax. Get a Free VIN Check today.

KBB:
BLUE BOOK® SUGGESTED RETAIL VALUE
Close
Suggested Retail Value

Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices for a used car, and the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the vehicle has been fully reconditioned and has a clean title history, but has not been certified in accordance with any Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program the automaker may offer (for which it may or may not qualify, according to factors such as vehicle age and mileage). This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the vehicle's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.
2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG Sport Sedan 4D
More Photos
Condition Value
Excellent
$28,400
Suggested Retail Value Assumes Excellent Condition More

Originally Posted by michael kuzni
this price reflects market value on this car. i keep on reiterating that statement, but it is true. a little over a year ago i paid 25,500 with the cpo and a clear title and excellent condition car yada yada with 25k. and this was in SF where cars are supposed to be expensive. they were originally asking 30k for it on craigslist. and for everyone talking about insurance prices, imagine what a 19 year old boy (not the parents!) is paying on a fully paid c55.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I really hope you not paying anymore than $250 a month, unless you have a bad driving record. My Audi at your age full coverage with $250 deductible was only $150.00 Insurance on a V12TT would be bad though.

Originally Posted by michael kuzni
Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
NADA Says that car is worth $26,650.... Thats $2500 less than NADA, where did you get your pricing?

Base Price $13,075 $15,000 $16,625 $20,425
Mileage: 11,000 $6,225 $6,225 $6,225 $6,225
AMG Sport Package Std. Std. Std. Std.
See all options chosen
TOTAL PRICE $19,300 $21,225 $22,850 $26,650*
* This Retail price is based on a clean vehicle history report . Don't make a $26,650 mistake. Find out why AutoCheck is better than Carfax. Get a Free VIN Check today.

KBB:
Close
Suggested Retail Value

Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices for a used car, and the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the vehicle has been fully reconditioned and has a clean title history, but has not been certified in accordance with any Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program the automaker may offer (for which it may or may not qualify, according to factors such as vehicle age and mileage). This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the vehicle's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.
2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG Sport Sedan 4D
More Photos
Condition Value
Excellent
$28,400
Suggested Retail Value Assumes Excellent Condition More
current market value is different than KBB value. KBB states what the car should go for. current market value is this: not everyone is dying to spend the money and pay the 28k for an amazing c55 amg. rather in the current market, they will either hold on to their money or buy something else that has greatly dropped in value (E55 for example) at that price. from October of 2009 to today, the value of the c55 on KBB has not dropped. market value has changed though for the worse.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

KBB:
Close
Suggested Retail Value
Please tell me you just didn't quote NADA and KBB as THE price determination for an AMG

My friend, you really need to get out more, and I ma not trying to bust your stones here either. You would know it if I was, trust me

Note ONE AMG I have ever seen that actually sold, met these two price line criteria.

I dare you to go into a MB dealer and say I want X for my __AMG because KBB and NADA say so

Look around and see what they actually sell for my friend. You will truly be surprised.

PS: NADA said my S600 should go for 39K, and I can assure you that I did not pay anywhere close to that.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Please tell me you just didn't quote NADA and KBB as THE price determination for an AMG

My friend, you really need to get out more, and I ma not trying to bust your stones here either. You would know it if I was, trust me

Note ONE AMG I have ever seen that actually sold, met these two price line criteria.

I dare you to go into a MB dealer and say I want X for my __AMG because KBB and NADA say so

Look around and see what they actually sell for my friend. You will truly be surprised.

PS: NADA said my S600 should go for 39K, and I can assure you that I did not pay anywhere close to that.

+1, I've seen some 05-06 S65 going for the high 30, low 40 range and they were $191,000 new!! KBB says they're worth 55-60K
Old 01-12-2011, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right, I bet you paid closer to this... Or at least I hope you did...

print
email
Email this page

Email to *

To send to multiple addresses, separate each address by a comma.

Your Name
Your Email Address *

Send me a copy of this message

Email addresses are used for this request only and are not saved or used by NADAguides.com for any other purposes.

Subject
Comments

Required Fields *
Privacy Policy
2004 Mercedes-Benz S Class
Sedan 4D S600

Pricing
Rough
Trade-In Average
Trade-In Clean
Trade-In Clean
Retail
Base Price $10,775 $13,200 $15,225 $20,425
Mileage: 65,000 $4,225 $4,225 $4,225 $4,225
Navigation System Std. Std. Std. Std.
See all options chosen
TOTAL PRICE $15,000 $17,425 $19,450 $24,650*
* This Retail price is based on a clean vehicle history report . Don't make a $24,650 mistake. Find out why AutoCheck is better than Carfax. Get a Free VIN Check today.

How did you get 39k my friend? Say it was made of Gold?

Originally Posted by MRAMG1

Old 01-12-2011, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
You truly are a PIP my friend.

I wish you all the luck in the world, as your attitude towards those that have been around a little more than you certainly speaks volume.

Good luck and go pay NADA/KBB for a car

PS: I bought my car two years ago, but most of the knowledgeable people around here already knew that Einstein

Last edited by MRAMG1; 01-12-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
No book value entity out there determines what your car is worth. What everyone else is selling theirs for (with similar options, condition, private vs. dealer, etc) is what your car is worth.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The fact the an 05 has only 11k miles would be a pretty big factor too I think. Just saying.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy a C55....