C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 bearing sound...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG x 2
Exclamation C32 bearing sound...

hey guys i have my c32 that has a code 3 intake/pulley and k&ns and other small mods...anyways recently i noticed a bearing sound or knocking noise coming from under the hood. The noise goes away a bit when the engine gets warm(to operating temperature since im in toronto, Canada and its pretty cold now). However the noise is amplified when the car is put in gear ( D or R ). i took off the serpentine belt today and moved the pulleys and all bearing seemed fine, i couldnt hear anything either with my stethoscope. The tensioner pulley was moving a bit though and it kind of seemed consistent with the sound...anyways i dont know what it is and my local shop doesnt either...im not really intrested to take it to the stealership cause theyre gunna charge me an arm and a leg plus give me **** for my code 3 pulley. So if anyone has tips comments or any help please respond cause i dont know what im gunn do
Old 01-13-2011, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by c32///
hey guys i have my c32 that has a code 3 intake/pulley and k&ns and other small mods...anyways recently i noticed a bearing sound or knocking noise coming from under the hood. The noise goes away a bit when the engine gets warm(to operating temperature since im in toronto, Canada and its pretty cold now). However the noise is amplified when the car is put in gear ( D or R ). i took off the serpentine belt today and moved the pulleys and all bearing seemed fine, i couldnt hear anything either with my stethoscope. The tensioner pulley was moving a bit though and it kind of seemed consistent with the sound...anyways i dont know what it is and my local shop doesnt either...im not really intrested to take it to the stealership cause theyre gunna charge me an arm and a leg plus give me **** for my code 3 pulley. So if anyone has tips comments or any help please respond cause i dont know what im gunn do
Probably an idler bearing or SC bearing.......

Does it have the PSK on it?? If not, get one from Needswings.....
Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM

C32 AMG x 2
what does the PSK do? lol or is it self explanatory ?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
what does the PSK do? lol or is it self explanatory ?
Go to : www.needswings.com under Mercedes tab and then C32.......

or you can look at the SRT-6 PSK too, same product
Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM

C32 AMG x 2
ok thanks and if its the supercharger bearing or the idler do you know where i can get it from? most probably its the supercahrger bearing cause when i was stock without c3 pulley i didnt have this noise. is the oem bearing the same size as the code 3?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
ok thanks and if its the supercharger bearing or the idler do you know where i can get it from? most probably its the supercahrger bearing cause when i was stock without c3 pulley i didnt have this noise. is the oem bearing the same size as the code 3?
I believe the OEM is the same as Code 3 and you can go to the successor of Code 3 to get that..........

http://www.hpashop.com/

** I just called HP in California and they did confirm that the OEM bearing is the same for the Code 3 bearing.......................

If that's the case, I believe there's a post on here where someone is selling for $25.00??

Last edited by Newzchspy; 01-13-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:47 PM

C32 AMG x 2
okay thanks man just to confirm...is it this that will work with my code 3 pulley : http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...&categoryId=58

sorry i just re-read it lol, ok if its the same i will replace it and look to see if there any other problems, OH before i forget is the shaking of the tensioner pulley normal? if u give me an email i can send u a video. appreciate the help man!

Last edited by c32///; 01-13-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
okay thanks man just to confirm...is it this that will work with my code 3 pulley : http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...&categoryId=58

sorry i just re-read it lol, ok if its the same i will replace it and look to see if there any other problems, OH before i forget is the shaking of the tensioner pulley normal? if u give me an email i can send u a video. appreciate the help man!
Are you referring to the crank pulley at the base of the engine (reason I ask is that mine went bad and I had to replace) . If its the tensioner # 9 in diagram, then its probably a bad pulley on there as well
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM

C32 AMG x 2
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Are you referring to the crank pulley at the base of the engine (reason I ask is that mine went bad and I had to replace) . If its the tensioner # 9 in diagram, then its probably a bad pulley on there as well
yeah im talking about #9 the tensioner is where there was vibration and play, is it the whole pulley?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
tensioner is spring loaded and will move as the belt runs over it. with the engine running VERY CAREFULLEY use the stethoscope on the end of the bolt attaching the various idler and s/c pulleys . the one thats bad will be obvious
Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 PM

C32 AMG x 2
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
tensioner is spring loaded and will move as the belt runs over it. with the engine running VERY CAREFULLEY use the stethoscope on the end of the bolt attaching the various idler and s/c pulleys . the one thats bad will be obvious
i tried that with a pry bar listening to the end of it but got nothing. however i took it to the shop that installed my code 3 pulley and they said it all seems good but that was ebcause my engine was very warm. its a lot worse when the engines cold or in gear. anyways ill get a stethoscope tommorow and try it...is it a special automotive stetho. or any will do?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:20 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
if it's the clutch bearing the noise will go away when you step on the throttle in gear when it engages.

if it's a constant noise then it's most likely the idler bearing. it's usually the #4 pulley that's common to have issues. i would suggest replacing it asap. you do not want it to seize and blow up while driving.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 AM

C32 AMG x 2
Originally Posted by FrankW
if it's the clutch bearing the noise will go away when you step on the throttle in gear when it engages.

if it's a constant noise then it's most likely the idler bearing. it's usually the #4 pulley that's common to have issues. i would suggest replacing it asap. you do not want it to seize and blow
up while driving.
When I put it in gear it's loud but when I start moving it's gone, however when I'm at a stoplight and im holding the brake I can still hear it. Btw this only started happening as soon as i switched tothe code 3 pulley; If that helps. Where is the clutch bearing? Behind the code 3 pulley? How do I change it and who sells it?...frank if u pm your email I can send u a video if it helps cause I dont want this thing blowing up on me
Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
...is it a special automotive stetho. or any will do?
I picked one up from Harbor Freight tools for about $4. It is just a stethoscope with a long aluminum probe on the end.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32
When I put it in gear it's loud but when I start moving it's gone, however when I'm at a stoplight and im holding the brake I can still hear it. Btw this only started happening as soon as i switched tothe code 3 pulley; If that helps. Where is the clutch bearing? Behind the code 3 pulley? How do I change it and who sells it?...frank if u pm your email I can send u a video if it helps cause I dont want this thing blowing up on me
FWIW, I had a rattling sound too. All idlers were fine as was the sc bearing. It was the sc clutch.

Wayne
Old 01-14-2011, 09:31 AM

C32 AMG x 2
Originally Posted by 03MBC32
FWIW, I had a rattling sound too. All idlers were fine as was the sc bearing. It was the sc clutch.

Wayne
So how did u change the supercharger clutch
Old 01-14-2011, 10:49 AM

C32 AMG x 2
uploading a video will have link soon

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaMPS8FcewU

guys the sound starts at about :38 seconds...let me know if thats what the noise from the supercharger clutch bearing is....and also if the squeal tht starts at 2 seconds and later goes away is normal...that squeal usually starts only on cold starts

Last edited by c32///; 01-14-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 AM

2003 C32
So how did u change the supercharger clutch

Replace with a new one.... $1500.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 AM

C32 AMG x 2
Replace with a new one.... $1500.
I don't think that's the case....everything was fine til I installed the code 3 pulley...that was only 300kms ago... And I heard the noise when it was installed it just wasn't as loud...I doubt it's the clutch itself..
Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 AM

2003 C32

guys the sound starts at about :38 seconds...let me know if thats what the noise from the supercharger clutch bearing is....and also if the squeal tht starts at 2 seconds and later goes away is normal...that squeal usually starts only on cold starts
Definitely idler bearing, sc bearing or both. I hope the rattling is not your sc clutch. My old sc clutch rattles when I shake it. Probably lose rivets.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:20 PM

C32 AMG x 2
Definitely idler bearing, sc bearing or both. I hope the rattling is not your sc clutch. My old sc clutch rattles when I shake it. Probably lose rivets.

what exactly are you talking about? what number in the diagram?
Attached Thumbnails C32 bearing sound...-polyvbeltappearance.jpg  
Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM

2003 C32
what exactly are you talking about? what number in the diagram?

Put a stethoscope on #4 and #6 idlers plus the sc clutch #5.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
The problem is that your belt is too long and it is causing the tensioner to bottom out causing the ratcheting noise. You need a shorter belt or you need to use a bigger pulley on one of the idlers.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter

doesn't sound like the sc clutch bearing. the bad sc bearing would sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAcmJRZrpBo

i think it should be what zeppelin is describing.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:43 PM

C32 AMG x 2
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
The problem is that your belt is too long and it is causing the tensioner to bottom out causing the ratcheting noise. You need a shorter belt or you need to use a bigger pulley on one of the idlers.
is it too long now that the code 3 pulley has went in? and where do i get a shorter belt? or where do i get a larger pulley and for which pulley (what # in the diagram) ...thanks for the help guys still trying to solve it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C32 bearing sound...