C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Heated Seat Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Heated Seat Failure

I have a 2005 C55 and I recently had the bottom part of my driver's seat heater stop working (the heater for your back still works, but not the heater you actually sit on). After searching through this site it seems like this is a very common problem and one that is not a cheap fix (the dealership wanted $1,xxx). Also because the seat heater element is part of the seat cushion many aftermarket warranties do not cover the repair because they consider it to be an "upholstery item." I have a Mercury Insurance Platinum warranty and my claim was denied because they go by part number and when they pull up the part number needed to fix the seat heater it comes up as "seat cushion" an upholstery item so they won't cover it. I was wondering just how many people have had this problem and if anyone has tried contacting Mercedes Benz about it. If I can get enough documentation to show that this is a common, wide-spread problem that is obviously caused by a design defect or poor quality materials, I would like to bring it to the attention of Mercedes and see how they respond. It is not right that my friend's 1990 Volvo station wagon's heated seats still work after 150,000 miles and ours break after 50,000 miles and then continue to break again and again even after being replaced at a dealership with genuine Mercedes parts. So if you have had this problem and interested in seeing if we can get some reaction from Mercedes please indicate your interest and I will see what I can do.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Most C55 owners have or will experienced this issue.. MB replaced mine 2-3 times and it's currently not working again (both driver and pass)

Let me know what MB will say about this.. This should have been on the recall list..
Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL450 2005 C55 2002 C32 sold 2001 ML320 sold
+1 I have only 31K on the car and both sides are not working. drivers side has been replaced once already for the same issue.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Most C55 owners have or will experienced this issue.. MB replaced mine 2-3 times and it's currently not working again (both driver and pass)

Let me know what MB will say about this.. This should have been on the recall list..
This is exactly what I am talking about and disappointed with. There should have/should be a recall and those who have had to replace the element and incur the cost themselves should be reimbursed by Mercedes-Benz if they have the correct documentation. Every other car manufacturer knows how to make a seat heater that doesn't break when you sit on it, this is clearly an example of poor quality and/or design, something I think Mercedes-Benz should be embarrassed to have associated with its image; especially in its AMG models.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 PM

Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Originally Posted by ozsn
This is exactly what I am talking about and disappointed with. There should have/should be a recall and those who have had to replace the element and incur the cost themselves should be reimbursed by Mercedes-Benz if they have the correct documentation. Every other car manufacturer knows how to make a seat heater that doesn't break when you sit on it, this is clearly an example of poor quality and/or design, something I think Mercedes-Benz should be embarrassed to have associated with its image; especially in its AMG models.
All heaters were replaced on both seats on my car, 02 C32 (by mercedes). Just recently, the driver's side heaters died. It first started with the butt warmer dying(just like your case), then the back warmer died. After that, the little light was not even turning on when you push it for the heater. I kept thinking there was some kind of short, but checked all the fuses and came up with nothing.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
They must used a cheap stuff.. You should post this on the amg private lounge.
Who knows..
Old 01-14-2011, 12:44 AM

2006 C55 AMG
bought my c55 with 37k KM's on it, seat heater stopped working before I made it to 38k. Been meaning to take it to a dealer as it is under warranty. I really hope they fix it

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2011, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by halteh
bought my c55 with 37k KM's on it, seat heater stopped working before I made it to 38k. Been meaning to take it to a dealer as it is under warranty. I really hope they fix it
If your car is still under MB warranty, they should fix it.. They have to change the entire bottom end..
Old 01-14-2011, 03:24 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
if you had the factory extended warranty the heated seats are covered. if not then there's not much you can do other than adding aftermarket heating element pads thingy.

i had both front seat cushion replaced before my extended warranty ended in 08.

the heating pad on the back will not die btw. it's the bottom cushion that controls both heating pads. i was pushing them to replace the seat back too, but too bad they didn't. lol

Last edited by FrankW; 01-14-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AW '05 C55
I just got this problem as well, 2005 with 51K+ miles on it.

I don't use the heater that often. Damn, $1k to fix? What are the part numbers, might do it myself.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:25 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by cldriver
I just got this problem as well, 2005 with 51K+ miles on it.

I don't use the heater that often. Damn, $1k to fix? What are the part numbers, might do it myself.
Yep, $1k for just the bottom portion of the driver's seat. Sorry, but I don't know the part numbers as I "declined" to have the repair performed.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
I have a 2005 C55 and I recently had the bottom part of my driver's seat heater stop working (the heater for your back still works, but not the heater you actually sit on). After searching through this site it seems like this is a very common problem and one that is not a cheap fix (the dealership wanted $1,xxx). Also because the seat heater element is part of the seat cushion many aftermarket warranties do not cover the repair because they consider it to be an "upholstery item." I have a Mercury Insurance Platinum warranty and my claim was denied because they go by part number and when they pull up the part number needed to fix the seat heater it comes up as "seat cushion" an upholstery item so they won't cover it. I was wondering just how many people have had this problem and if anyone has tried contacting Mercedes Benz about it. If I can get enough documentation to show that this is a common, wide-spread problem that is obviously caused by a design defect or poor quality materials, I would like to bring it to the attention of Mercedes and see how they respond. It is not right that my friend's 1990 Volvo station wagon's heated seats still work after 150,000 miles and ours break after 50,000 miles and then continue to break again and again even after being replaced at a dealership with genuine Mercedes parts. So if you have had this problem and interested in seeing if we can get some reaction from Mercedes please indicate your interest and I will see what I can do.
i got lucky and had the dealer replace both bottom seat pads for my front seats right before my warranty ended. but wow they're that expensive?!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM

'06 S500 4matic
I called the dealer on Friday and they want $620 for the seat cover and $250 for install. Both of mine are out on my '05 C55 with 71k. It really sucks because the backs still work and in this cold PA winter it is just a tease. Let me know if we ever gain traction with MB because I would love to save the $1500 I'm going to have to spend before next winter.

Here's a guy that did a nice writeup on his SLK32. He rebuilt them instead of paying MB for replacement covers.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
They must used a cheap stuff.. You should post this on the amg private lounge.
Who knows..
Good idea. I posted it under the AMG Feedback section in the Private Lounge, we will see if there is any response.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM

C55
I also had both bottom warmer replaced under warranty just before it expired last month. It appears this is a common problem which hopefully MB will address.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Nappa leather ain't cheap people.

Do you guys really use it that much? I find it funny, because I've used it maybe twice in my car (and turned it off after a while, found it annoying) and that's the only time in my life I've ever used it. My drivers side was replaced by the previous owner I think, but even if mine didn't work now I wouldn't be bothered by it...
Old 01-18-2011, 09:37 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Mine has 34k miles and it has been replaced a few times. It is now not currently working, as of this morning. Pissed.

What can we do to get MB to warrant these obviously defective parts? This is bull!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by Viper98912
Nappa leather ain't cheap people.

Do you guys really use it that much? I find it funny, because I've used it maybe twice in my car (and turned it off after a while, found it annoying) and that's the only time in my life I've ever used it. My drivers side was replaced by the previous owner I think, but even if mine didn't work now I wouldn't be bothered by it...
Come on, you live Hotlanta

I didn't use it often in my C55 and when I lived in SC..

But I use it almost everyday since I live in IL now.

Its kinda bad when you have a passenger and when they ask why only the bottom part of the seat isn't working.. "I thought MB wouldn't have this kind of issues.."

That realllly bothered me cuz this girl had a old bimmer and her car's seat heater worked PERFECTLY without any issues.....

This shouldn't be a problem and if they fixed it, it should last longer.. But as you can see, they fail over and over again.