C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

DIY transmission replacement possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32
DIY transmission replacement possible?

So my car suffered the dreaded glycol contamination. I had the dealer replace the original leaking Valeo trans with a Behr and perfrom a tranny filter replacement and fluid replacement. This cured the symptoms for about 2 months, but now the symptoms are back and the dealer says the transmission and torque converter need to be replaced. They quote $5600 for the job using a Mercedes-rebuilt transmission and new TC; the list price for the trans is $2500 and the TC is $1500 (!).

I called every independent shop in the area and got quotes ranging from $4300 to $8000. I searched online and found similar pricing for rebuilt transmissions and rebuilt torque converters for $300. Performance rebuilds are a little higher at around $4300, but I am pretty sure the original trans is adequate for moderate performance upgrades.

Is replacing this transmission possible as a DIY? I have access to a lift and transmission jack and all the normal tools. Do I need any specialty tools or methods? I am willing to buy a factory service manual if someone can point me toward a source. I replaced the transmission in my '70 Nova, '86 Monte Carlo SS and '88 Vette without incident; is this little Merc much more difficult?

TL;DR: Can I replace the transmission in my C32 myself?

Thanx!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
if you have experience replacing the transmission in those other cars, you should have no problem replacing the transmission on the c32. When you subtract the electronic components of the c32, its basically the same as any other car mechanically.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
You can get a one day subscription to Star

data and copy the wis procedure.
You might want to contact
http://www.silverstartransmission.com/Transmission.html
and get a quote low 2grand for most 722.6
Pm me if you need a shop in the south end that a good friend has at a house down that way and he is a senior tech.
Sorry to hear of your loss.
IPT has the high stall .5-1 second quicker converter for 699
and his bullet proof valve modified nag1/722.6 trans for mid 4 grand.
Rated to 800 hp you will never have another issue
Old 01-30-2011, 04:49 PM

02 C32
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
if you have experience replacing the transmission in those other cars, you should have no problem replacing the transmission on the c32. When you subtract the electronic components of the c32, its basically the same as any other car mechanically.
That is what I was hoping, but a Merc tech mentioned in passing that it is necessary to remove the intake manifold to access the top bolts on the bellhousing. I dunno if that is true, but it would vastly complicate the procedure. I was hoping someone could weigh in on whether that is true or if it really is as easy as most other cars ('easy' being a relative term).

Speaking of the electronic components, do you know if there will be any electronic challenges with swapping the trans and TC or if it is plug-and-play? Does it have to be hooked to a computer to make the new transmission play nice with the old TCU/ECU/who-knows-what-else?

Thanx for the reply!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:02 PM

02 C32
Originally Posted by ohlord
data and copy the wis procedure.
You might want to contact
http://www.silverstartransmission.com/Transmission.html
and get a quote low 2grand for most 722.6
Pm me if you need a shop in the south end that a good friend has at a house down that way and he is a senior tech.
Sorry to hear of your loss.
IPT has the high stall .5-1 second quicker converter for 699
and his bullet proof valve modified nag1/722.6 trans for mid 4 grand.
Rated to 800 hp you will never have another issue
I'll PM for the name of your friend. Regarding the high stall converter, do you know of anyone who has installed one? When I had the transmission rebuilt in my vette I went with a higher-stall converter with the promise it would lower E.T.s without affecting driveability. The car was quicker and a little scary until i adjusted my driving style, but i hated the way it degraded everyday drivability: it took throttle input to move the car from a dead stop, whereas with the original TC the car would move under its own power upon releasing the brake. It seems trivial perhaps, but I hated the way it would roll backwards freely on a hill or sit still on flat ground until applying throttle. I saw IPT's high stall converter and their claim of no loss of drivability, but I don't trust the claim without a review by a third party (though I am sure it will make the car quicker).

Holy cats, thanx extra for the link to Silverstar transmissions. Sounds like a good company with good prices, making me think this might not be such a crushing expense after all.

Last edited by MountainStone; 01-31-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM

02 C32
Just to update: the good folks over on the non-AMG W203 forum also seem to think this swap is pretty straightforward mechanically, but will require having the DAS computer to perform a relearn/adaptation procedure. If I do the swap myself, I am hoping the car can be driven to the dealership to perform that relearn rather than having to tow it. If anybody can comment on that I would appreciate it, and thanks again to all who have given such good advice!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
I would have it towed if you get the transmission in. No sense risking the transmission to save a few bux on a tow truck