is this true?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
Re: Are we talking performance or prestige?

Originally posted by Carl AMG
I have a suspicion that those AMG drivers that don't like/respect these cars, would never own one, etc. are more likely the AMG drivers that will never have their car on the road course track or participate in an autocross.
I agree ..I'd love to have a STI to mod and blast around in
Old 05-10-2003, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG Orion Blue Charcoal/Blue
Originally posted by Marko
I believe the original topic was related to street driving and had absolutely nothing to do with road course driving or autocross. I have a suspicion that people who defend cars like the aforementioned Subarus have no intention of getting on the autobahn anytime soon. (Sarcasm phaser, set to "stun")

Presitge plays a small, yet integral role within C32 ownership. Quality, Styling, & Performance in no particular order are among the top features that attract most people, I would imagine.

The "boy racer image" does indeed run rampant amongst not only Subaru, but most of the Jap manufacturers. Few things are as obnoxious as encountering the ubiquitous Accord adorned with a coupld hundred dollars of shoddy aftermarket accessories. An oversized exhaust & wing does not a street racer make.

Ever witnessed a quarter mile run between two boy racers? Seasons have changed before they cross the finish line.
Definitely talking street driving where, at least where I live, speeds generally can't get high enough for the AMG to really show it's stuff. A 1/4 mile blast (where getting a good jump from having traction is key) may be the longest you could go before you risk some very serious consequences.

If you are referring to me about getting on the autobahn, I don't live in Germany but have taken my C32 to 130 on the straight at Summit Point which just happens to be followed by a relatively slow 180 degree turn. As a result, you have to use the brakes as much as the power and take the car through turns. I use the car for its intended purpose. Tell us how you drive your C32; any track events, drag strip experience or have you been on the Autobahn?

I don't know about the comment on the quarter mile; R&T showed the EVO and STI at 13.4 and 13.3 respectively.

Don't forget I have a C32 and was one of the first to own one in the U.S. so I'm not knocking the C32. I love it! I just don't get defensive when another car with a more tightly focused performance mission treads into the C32's performance range.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:09 PM

Understood, Carl. Definitely not blasting you, just displaying my quirky sense of humor.

I will concede that the Subu would probably be pretty amazing in twisties where our beloved cars are slightly soft for such.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:55 PM

Porsche Turbo Stage 4, Cayenne S ... gone C43, C32, ML55 & Ducati 999.
Both the EVO and STI are great cars!... I do not care wheater or not look cheap and boy racer image with the huge wings, etc.
Our C32 is unique , and even more with 400+hp and 400lbf Tq with 3,600 lb!
.....and the same when I am in my 999 I do respect and admire Yamahas, Hondas, Suzukis, and Kawasakis. as well...
Old 05-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Almost a Member!

i was the originator of this post and now i know, the subaru can beat the c32 in an urban environment. i live in the nyc area and you very seldom have a chance to go over 65 mph (traffic or cops), the only time i get to really accelerate is getting out of the tollbooths or in the ramps entering the expressway. i have 350hp but i cant use it! i think i got the wrong car for the nyc area. during the winter, i can't get traction, all i get is wheelspin and esp cutting in when i try to drive hard especially when temperatures are below 50. and i cant go over 65 mph and above (the speed where the c32 really shines). i like my c32 but i think the subaru would be a lot zippier around town than the c32. maybe if i lived in florida or texas or california where there are a lot of freeways and not as much traffic then of course the c32 is nice but i think my next car would be an all wheel drive, light (under 3200 lbs), zippy and powerful car. if they had a mini cooper that produced 300hp, i would trade my c32 for one.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:52 PM

2002 C-32 AMG Renntech
I Think the STI and EVO are incredible cars. I had a Z06 as my fun car and a WRX as my daily driver but dumped them both in favor of the c32 because it's a more professional ride and that's what my new job called for.

I wouldn't knock either the STI or the EVO. As fast and agile as they are stock they are insane once you unbotton them
Old 05-11-2003, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by arthur12345
i was the originator of this post and now i know, the subaru can beat the c32 in an urban environment. i live in the nyc area and you very seldom have a chance to go over 65 mph (traffic or cops), the only time i get to really accelerate is getting out of the tollbooths or in the ramps entering the expressway. i have 350hp but i cant use it! i think i got the wrong car for the nyc area. during the winter, i can't get traction, all i get is wheelspin and esp cutting in when i try to drive hard especially when temperatures are below 50. and i cant go over 65 mph and above (the speed where the c32 really shines). i like my c32 but i think the subaru would be a lot zippier around town than the c32. maybe if i lived in florida or texas or california where there are a lot of freeways and not as much traffic then of course the c32 is nice but i think my next car would be an all wheel drive, light (under 3200 lbs), zippy and powerful car. if they had a mini cooper that produced 300hp, i would trade my c32 for one.
If you'd trade your C32 for any type of mini cooper, you've got larger issues than car selection to deal with, my friend.

I certainly wish they did produce a mini like that. Chances are, it would still be under $30,000 and an intelligent person could make a very savvy trade with you.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Almost a Member!

thats about right. i intend to keep my c32 for about 3 more years. so in year 2006, my '02 c32 with probably about 40,000 miles will have a blue book value of around $25 to 30,000. at that time the mini cooper or subaru or evo or whatever $30,000 car there is will probably have around 400 hp. i'll downgrade to an inferior make but have a more practical and fun to drive city car. it would be different if i lived in florida or texas or even new jersey. then i would go for the e55, hopefully i can get a second hand one for around $50,000 by that time.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:30 AM

If he wants to race, and you want to show off, just take him out to a high way / race track, and see who's car is better. Those cars might be impressive from 0-60, but it's worth nothing from 100 onwards. They're impressive b/c they're light as hell. BUt when it comes down to REAL high speed. they simply suck.....I am sorry.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
srt4 pulls harder at hgih speeds than the wrx...
Old 05-11-2003, 05:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
i saw a yellow EVO today, really close by my house
i got so close on his a$$ hoping he'll wanna push it a bit through the twisties but he didn't, passed him on double lane, then took my street turn while used hazards to say bye bye

hopefully i'll see him again while he's in a better mood, even though i hate to speed in my neighborhood ;p
Old 05-11-2003, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Some of you guys crack me up,

"The Subaru is faster than my C32, I should have bought a STi". There will always be a car faster than yours. Do you think the guy who bought a $300,000 Murcielago cares that a $30,000 EVO is quicker through the Slalom. My Honda that cost me less than $10K total will waste my C32 in the corners and is about equal in the 1/4 mile. They are not the same car though, the Honda rattles and is rough riding and loud. I don't take my customers to lunch in my Honda. Likewise the Subara and the Lancer have interiors of $15k cars and those wings are hideous.

If you bought the C32 because it was the fastest car made, you bought the wrong car.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:06 PM

Mercedes-Benz C240 and Corvette C5 convertible
Who's on Speed?

Yo People,

I know I am late in this conversation, but I have three things to say...

If you had all the unnecessary stuff taken out of a C32 and just kept the necessary stuff, I am sure you would find that the Sti or Evo having a lot to contend with. Note also that the "Japanese" horse power will never equal a "German" horse power. Because German horse power must be a Clydesdale type of horse. You know what I mean, the kind of horse you see in the budwieser beer commercials of old...

Now correct me if I am wrong, but I heard 4matics were going to be an option on the C-class w203's? I am aware though that a 4matic system on a C-class would add some weight.

Lastly if I was to have an accident, I would rather be in a C32. High speed crashes in a Japanese car hardly give me a prayer... Safety is of high priority...

I would also like to just mention that I pissed of a Subaru Sti driver the other day when I passed him at 120+ mph! Me in my meager C240 (w202) with only 170 horse power was already on the go... but I caught up and passed the subaru. He clearly noticed me from behind and started accelerating like mad, but he was just reaching over 100mph when I passed him. As soon as we reached the toll booth together (to pay more money on the expressway), he took off, and I didn't have a prayer to catch him after that!!!

Oh well, you win some,... and you lose some!
Old 05-16-2003, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
Originally posted by arthur12345
the entry price for a 300+ hp small car is getting cheaper and cheaper each year. maybe in 2 years 300 hp cars for $20,000 will be common. now i know, next time i see a subaru sti or evo 8 in my rear view mirror, i should give it the same respect as i would an m3. the c32s short reign as king of small 300+hp sedans was nice while it lasted. i know its a subaru not a mercedes but still, my hat off to subaru and mitsubishi.

yeah..back in 95, 96...the wagon and the c36 can hold it's own compared to the cars back then...now..275hp and 268hp don't do jack...
Old 05-23-2003, 02:03 AM

0-60... does that realy count? i havn't seen the STI version on the streets yet but i know they have some impressive numbers and all out of a 4-banger. I did encounter a dealer owned lancer evo however on the fwy and he tried to show off but it was absolutely no match for the mb. I think the gearing or transmissions on those are made for street use not hwy and high speeds.