C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Rough Idle (sort of)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C32 AMG
It's the engine mounts. The car got progressively worse and would "shiver" every so often. Changing the transmission mount took away the shiver and I have no doubt when we change the engine mounts it will reduce the rest of the vibration.

For the record, I changed out the plugs (12) filter, fuel filter and a number of other things. No change in the idle. It's no doubt, the mounts
Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 AM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by Budget Baller
It's the engine mounts. The car got progressively worse and would "shiver" every so often. Changing the transmission mount took away the shiver and I have no doubt when we change the engine mounts it will reduce the rest of the vibration.

For the record, I changed out the plugs (12) filter, fuel filter and a number of other things. No change in the idle. It's no doubt, the mounts
How much it cost you to change out the transmission and engine mounts (pending) if I may ask? Thanks!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'06 C55, '14 Audi S4, '09 Range Rover Sport, '07 Lexus ES350,
Originally Posted by Budget Baller

Did you replace or considering replacing the spark plug wires? I've heard others claim this settle down their rough idle.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:43 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
No I didn't replace the wires yet. I have those on the way. I'll post back if they change anything in the idle

@Slater it was a couple hundred bucks for the transmission mount, fluid, filter, gasket etc

The engine mounts (separate) where $80 a pop. (AutohausAZ) Which isn't bad considering the dealership wanted $170 a piece.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Slater126
Thought I'd bump this thread to see if there's any new information or insight, as my '02 started doing this recently also. It's a very slight rough idle that few would probably even notice. But I've owned this car for several years now and know it pretty well, so I know something's not quite right.

The roughness is so slight that the tach doesn't even move up and down. Power doesn't seem to be down. My indie checked the engine mounts and the ECU for codes but the mounts are fine and there are no codes. I'm further doubting the mounts are the culprit because when you shift into neutral, the roughness feels about the same. He didn't find anything else wrong either.

Car has 73,500 miles on it and it just got new plugs at 50,000 miles just over two years ago and a new fuel filter at 40,000 about 3 years back, so those two potential culprits are probably out also.

I too don't want to start throwing parts at it, and will certainly not do so. I figure if it gets too much worse it will eventually set off a trouble code and I'll get more info. It seems to be getting a little worse but that could be just because I've noticed it and am now getting paranoid. But if anyone fixed theirs, let us know!
well this is how i fixed my rough idle of course i did what any other want to be car savi did, changed the plugs and wires which did fixt the problem well as i was doing that i found some thign obvious light corrosion on 3 coils ( indicated by wite and some greeninsh colored stuff. i hooked up the star diagnosis and there was a misfire is cylinder 3 i changed cylinder 3 coil pack and the 2 other that had obvious corrosion I cleared the all the faults rough idle went away and has not been back for 1100 miles now ironicaly the supposed vacum leak fault code that was shows on the generic obd2 code reader do not show in star diagnosis which is used at the dealership so does that mean that some of the codes from generic obd2 code readers are missleading ?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 55
I have the same thing. I hope its just engine mounts.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
not sure bout you guys but my w210 E55 does the same thing once in a while while im stopped at a light . It only does on mine once in great while not like a daily thing but after doing a bunch of searches and seeing that this effects more then one model benz I've seen ppl change motor and tranny mounts and plugs and wires and sensors and such that only one other thing i have read from another members post is it could bethe EGR valve but i would figure it would throw a code if that was the case ..
Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Idle seems to be getting worse and this morning, it stumbled and nearly stalled coming to a stop. But just once. This ain't engine mounts, with all due respect. You can tell yourself that and assure yourself all you want but it's not the problem.

It's some creepy little gremlin in the machine that briefly appears in medicine cabinet mirrors as you close them, not long enough to get more than a fleeting glimpse really but long enough to make your heart race and the hairs on the back of your neck tingle with fear. You know It's there, and can't help but feel that it is toying with you. Catastrophy is imminent, but you don't know when. Mentally, you steady yourself and try to tell yourself it isn't so, that you are being silly. But you cannot fight the uncertainty that is steadily creeping in, like a ghost in the night.

In other words, typical C32. I've bought some plug wires (probably time to change them anyway) and will take a look at the coil packs while I am changing them. If I don't post again, you'll know I was carried off into eternity by the evil German car demons.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'06 C55, '14 Audi S4, '09 Range Rover Sport, '07 Lexus ES350,
Idle seems to be getting worse and this morning, it stumbled and nearly stalled coming to a stop. But just once. This ain't engine mounts, with all due respect. You can tell yourself that and assure yourself all you want but it's not the problem.

It's some creepy little gremlin in the machine that briefly appears in medicine cabinet mirrors as you close them, not long enough to get more than a fleeting glimpse really but long enough to make your heart race and the hairs on the back of your neck tingle with fear. You know It's there, and can't help but feel that it is toying with you. Catastrophy is imminent, but you don't know when. Mentally, you steady yourself and try to tell yourself it isn't so, that you are being silly. But you cannot fight the uncertainty that is steadily creeping in, like a ghost in the night.

In other words, typical C32. I've bought some plug wires (probably time to

change them anyway) and will take a look at the coil packs while I am changing them. If I don't post again, you'll know I was carried off into eternity by the evil German car demons.
Slater, any update on the fix?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 AM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by mgiannetto
Slater, any update on the fix?
Yup, fixed it. It just stopped doing it and now idles smooth. This car doesn't need engine mounts, it needs a Crucifix.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 PM

C230 Kompressor
Yup, fixed it. It just stopped doing it and now idles smooth. This car doesn't need engine mounts, it needs a Crucifix.
So what ended up being the problem ?

I have an '05 230k that was in a front end accident a couple of months ago and it never had the idle issue until then. Had it over at the dealership today and they are saying it is a throttle actuator and tension sensor--$3000 in parts and labor.

I'm trying to see if it is accident related but no word yet. What do you guys think ?