C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Electromagnetic Clutch/Charger Pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32 AMG
Electromagnetic Clutch/Charger Pulley

ive bought a new electromagnetic clutch from main stealer, it gets delivered tomorrow and i will be fitting it tomorrow, is there anything else i will need in the way of fluids or special tools, is it a straight swap or can anyone give me some advice or pictures or a link to someone who has swapped one before.
i would of gone for the bearing option like most people have done but i also had the noisy rivets on the backing plate, i just thought it would be easier to buy the whole clutch.
Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
You will need an e11 inverse torx socket to remove tension on the belt so that you can remove it. Once you've removed the belt, you will need some thing to hold the super charger pulley so that you can remove it. Lots of people used a rubber, adjustable strap wrench. Then you remove the center bolt and pull the pulley off. My pulley was very difficult to remove and it just required time to pull it off. Putting the pulley on was a bit difficult as well. As for taking out the bearing, you will need to remove the retainer clip and then you can tap out the bearing. The retainer clip is was keeps it in, as for pressing it in, you can tap it in, but you have to make sure that it goes in completely center and seating in properly, then just reinstall the retainer clip. I'm sure there's a thread around here on how to do it.
Check out this thread, there should be an attachment with a guide on how to remove the pulley.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...s-video-4.html

Last edited by loudandheard; 04-05-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 AM

c32 AMG
Originally Posted by loudandheard
You will need an e11 inverse torx socket to remove tension on the belt so that you can remove it. Once you've removed the belt, you will need some thing to hold the super charger pulley so that you can remove it. Lots of people used a rubber, adjustable strap wrench. Then you remove the center bolt and pull the pulley off. My pulley was very difficult to remove and it just required time to pull it off. Putting the pulley on was a bit difficult as well. As for taking out the bearing, you will need to remove the retainer clip and then you can tap out the bearing. The retainer clip is was keeps it in, as for pressing it in, you can tap it in, but you have to make sure that it goes in completely center and seating in properly, then just reinstall the retainer clip. I'm sure there's a thread around here on how to do it.
Check out this thread, there should be an attachment with a guide on how to remove the pulley.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...s-video-4.html
Thanks,
i dont think i need to remove the bearing as i have bought the whole electromagnetic clutch and im sure for £1100/$1785 that the new bearing must be in the new part.
it seems as if its straight forward to remove and replace just as long as nothing has seized.
is that right
Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
No you will not NEED to replace any fluid. However, depending on the mileage of the supercharger you should consider replenishment of the internal bearing lubricant. Mobil Jet Oil II. To add my charger is at nearly 120k with no service. The original fluid is still in there but people have reported less than required amounts, and wear signs indicated in the old fluid.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 PM

c32 AMG
Were will I find the bearing is it obvious when I get the clutch off. I've only done 80,000. Thanks. Every little helps
Old 04-05-2011, 04:11 PM

'03 C32
Originally Posted by gruf
Thanks,
i dont think i need to remove the bearing as i have bought the whole electromagnetic clutch and im sure for £1100/$1785 that the new bearing must be in the new part.
it seems as if its straight forward to remove and replace just as long as nothing has seized.
is that right
Thanks
You're in Britain? Maybe it's the exchange rate, but the supercharger clutch replacement scam looks like an even bigger rip off there than here!

Good luck with the replacement. From all I have read on these pages it sounds like it really will extend the lifespan considerably.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM

C32 AMG x 2
Originally Posted by gt4awd
No you will not NEED to replace any fluid. However, depending on the mileage of the supercharger you should consider replenishment of the internal bearing lubricant. Mobil Jet Oil II. To add my charger is at nearly 120k with no service. The original fluid is still in there but people have reported less than required amounts, and wear signs indicated in the old fluid.
sorry to disturb the thread, but do you know where a diy is for replacing it...ive seen one here and on youtube but it doesnt clearly explain it. if you can share how itd be awesome
Old 04-06-2011, 09:08 AM

c32 AMG
ready for this,
i got the clutch thing and when replacing it found that the shaft that the bearing fits on is worn and has play with the new clutch, i rang dealers back and the only way to replace the shaft is to by the supercharger.
here's the good part, if your names Fritz and you have shares in MB that is.
i can buy the supercharge for £2600 but it only comes with the magnetic clutch attached and i cant send the clutch back ive got. i know the man in parts department and his gonna send email to see if they will do me the favour of taking it back but if they do take it back it will cost me 25% handling fee.
anyone had the problem with the shaft being worn and if so do you know a good fix, my mate works for engineering company and said he can lave the shaft and make a collar to go in-between the bearing and the shaft to help with the slack i have. so now im gonna send the clutch back and get my mate to fit new bearings and and new rivets to the backing plate.
good old Mercedes
Old 04-06-2011, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
See if you can take some photos of the worn area and of the two super charger pulleys. I just can't see this happening for some reason and if it has, it's very rare.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM

c32 AMG
Originally Posted by loudandheard
See if you can take some photos of the worn area and of the two super charger pulleys. I just can't see this happening for some reason and if it has, it's very rare.
ok, will do tomorrow cause we are taking it off again tomorrow, it also had 2 little pins/dowse in the washer that goes on the face on the charger against the bearing, one of them had sheared off in the shaft of the charger and the other was still connected to the washer, i think they are locators to make sure the washer is in the right place for when the bolt is tightened.
i rang to get the 2 pins from Mercedes..guess what they cant supply the pins and they only way they can is with the charger, which give me the hump because they must cost all of 6p each.