C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

HELP: 06' C55 making a weird wheezing noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
HELP: 06' C55 making a weird wheezing noise

Yesterday I was late for a wedding so I threw the car in sport mode and turned the ESP off. I was driving it a bit harder than normal, but definitely nothing too crazy as I wasn't even hitting highway speeds on side streets. At one point when giving gas the RPM's shot up to 6k without me applying much pressure on the pedal, almost as though the car wasn't shifting gears. I didn't think much of it and drove the car home last night without any issues.

This morning I turned the car on and I immediately heard a distinct wheezing noise coming from the engine. It sounds like a belt. The noise is more audible in lower gears. The car feels fine while driving, but this noise is really loud at 10-50KM's/hr and has me really concerned.

I shot a video clip of the car idling, might not be easy to hear this. Does anyone have a clue what's going on here? Also I parked the car outside last night and it rained. Probably the first time I leave the car outside over night.

Here's a link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13342393/Mov...%2032%20PM.mov

It has 45k KM's on it, due for an oil change in another 1k KM's. no warning lights on. Bought the car in November with 38k KM's

Thanks!

Last edited by halteh; 04-10-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Did you happen to do any donuts or sharp turning? Might be your power steering pump...
Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by gt4awd
Did you happen to do any donuts or sharp turning? Might be your power steering pump...
I did make a few sharp turns off a stop that had my back fish a bit, but again nothing crazy that would have significantly stressed the car. If it was the power-steer pump would I not notice a loss in power when turning? Also I should mention when driving the car in sport the engine sounded louder than usual and it felt like it was revving longer before shifting gears. I didn't think much of at the time as I haven't driven the car in sport very often.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:26 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Just an update on this. I took the car out today and floored it a bit to see if I jar something in place or if it will change something. The noise seems to have gone faint while idling, but it's definitely there as the engine picks up. If you listen close in this video:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13342393/IMG_2021.MOV you can hear a high pitched wine start at 3 seconds in and again at 11 seconds in.

thanks!

Last edited by halteh; 04-10-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Yea, that first video noise is a first I've heard of...
Old 04-11-2011, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
I have difficultly hearing anything strange. If I had to stretch at anything, I'd guess a leaking exhaust manifold?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:29 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Well I took the car to the shop today, the noise is coming from a pan under the car that's apparently related to the transmission. Mechanic showed me the transmission error code as well. It's spending the night there, we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 PM

2010 C63
damn, hope it's ok!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'06 C55, '14 Audi S4, '09 Range Rover Sport, '07 Lexus ES350,
Originally Posted by halteh
Well I took the car to the shop today, the noise is coming from a pan under the car that's apparently related to the transmission. Mechanic showed me the transmission error code as well. It's spending the night there, we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Any update to provide? Hope it's not a big deal.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by mgiannetto
Any update to provide? Hope it's not a big deal.
Mechanic tells me the transmission needs to be rebuilt. He's waiting to hear back from Global Warranty to approve the work so he can move forward. I feel uneasy about all of this. How does the transmission on 06' car with 45km go? I'll rest once I get my car back and it's running well again.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Mechanic tells me the transmission needs to be rebuilt. He's waiting to hear back from Global Warranty to approve the work so he can move forward. I feel uneasy about all of this. How does the transmission on 06' car with 45km go? I'll rest once I get my car back and it's running well again.
Wow, that is stunning - sorry to hear that. Let us know how it goes. Would be interested in knowing what this would cost if you had to pay out of pocket? I don't recall hearing too many other C55 owners needing to have their trans rebuilt. Are you the original owner?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I suggest you get a second opinion. You just don't rebuild transmissions for the heck of it. And I used to be a transmission engineer for Honda....
Old 04-13-2011, 08:58 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Wow, that is stunning - sorry to hear that. Let us know how it goes. Would be interested in knowing what this would cost if you had to pay out of pocket? I don't recall hearing too many other C55 owners needing to have their trans rebuilt. Are you the original owner?
I'm the second owner, but I bought it with 37k km's on it and put about 6-7k km's on it myself. The car has run great since I bought, absolutely not issues to report. The Warranty has a $150 deductible and they don't cover diagnosing the problem. So I am assuming I'll have to pay probably for an hour of time to diagnose ($90) plus the $150. Not bad to have a tranny rebuilt, assuming the warranty company approves the work.

I'm still really concerned! The car made a funny noise while idling, does this not mean it can't be the transmission? I'm not a car buff, but I figured if the car sounded funny while idling it can't be the transmission.

I really do trust the shop I took it to, I don't think they're trying to rip me or the warranty company off but I am just worried they might not be experienced enough with AMG's. This is the mechanic here: http://www.universalautotechs.com/
Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Viper98912
I suggest you get a second opinion. You just don't rebuild transmissions for the heck of it. And I used to be a transmission engineer for Honda....
I am just not sure that this is a practical possibility at this point. The transmission is already taken apart from what I understand, at least to some extent. I'd have to get it towed elsewhere as well.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Originally Posted by Viper98912
+1 definitely.

Mechanic pulled a trans code - but what's the code? What diagnostic equipment did he use?

You describe a noise, but don't have a drivability complaint? And the noise is coming from a pan 'related' to the transmission?

Too many questions and not enough answers - the trans is beyond robust and overbuilt in a C55. And unless the trans is out of the car completely - how is it apart??
Old 04-15-2011, 05:07 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Update on this. I got a second opinion and it looks like the transmission pump is what caused the noise. Mechanic tells me I need a transmission pump and torque converter as well as the necessary gaskets. This will cost $2850 for parts.

The mechanic relayed this information to the Global Warranty company. Warranty company says they are able to source out a used transmission locally for $1850. So if I want to replace the necessary parts and have my mechanic do the work I will have to pay $1000 out of pocket. After much arguing with the warrant company I got them to meet me half way at $500.

My mechanic tells me he searched all over through his sources and was only able to find a single used tranny in Canada and it's in vancouver and costs over $4k.

My thinking is the global warrant company is trying to pull a fast one on me and they don't in fact have a used transmission. This was probably a ploy by them to get me to just get the parts from my mechanic and fork the extra 1k out of my pocket. Am I crazy? I told the warrant company to contact my mechanic about shipping the tranny out there and told my mechanic to give me a call right away if they do in fact contact him so I can abort that.

Does this sound like a normal practice from these 3rd party warranty companies?

The c55 ran for two years, right? 2005-2006, I think in those two years there were about 1k of them sold in all of north America. And of those I am figuring probably only 100 made it to Canada and maybe half of that in Ontario. Is it possible the transmission for all w203 bodies is the same?

How these guys sourced a used tranny for $1850 sounds like total BS!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:00 PM

Update on this. I got a second opinion and it looks like the transmission pump is what caused the noise. Mechanic tells me I need a transmission pump and torque converter as well as the necessary gaskets. This will cost $2850 for parts.

The mechanic relayed this information to the Global Warranty company. Warranty company says they are able to source out a used transmission locally for $1850. So if I want to replace the necessary parts and have my mechanic do the work I will have to pay $1000 out of pocket. After much arguing with the warrant company I got them to meet me half way at $500.

My mechanic tells me he searched all over through his sources and was only able to find a single used tranny in Canada and it's in vancouver and costs over $4k.

My thinking is the global warrant company is trying to pull a fast one on me and they don't in fact have a used transmission. This was probably a ploy by them to get me to just get the parts from my mechanic and fork the extra 1k out of my pocket. Am I crazy? I told the warrant company to contact my mechanic about shipping the tranny out there and told my mechanic to give me a call right away if they do in fact contact him so I can abort that.

Does this sound like a normal practice from these 3rd party warranty companies?

The c55 ran for two years, right? 2005-2006, I think in those two years there were about 1k of them sold in all of north America. And of those I am figuring probably only 100 made it to Canada and maybe half of that in Ontario. Is it possible the transmission for all w203 bodies is the same?

How these guys sourced a used tranny for $1850 sounds like total BS!
Its BS like this which causes me to proceed with extreme caution around anyone peddling an extended warranty. If they were such a good deal for consumers, the warranty companies would be out of business.

Do you have a copy of your policy? Does it allow them to source the repair with a used part? That sounds odd and I would not be happy about it, even if they could get the used trans for the price they are indicating. After all, if this happened when the car was under the MB original warranty, there would be no discussion of used parts.

Read your warranty to understand what rights you have. Then push back hard if you've got the facts on your side. See what your mechanic finds out when he talks to them as well.

Let us know how you make out.

By the way, there were a total of 1,299 C55's imported into NA in 2005 and only 451 in 2006. Not that it is important, but since you asked... I think your conclusion is correct - not likely to be too many C55 used tranny's in Canada.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Its BS like this which causes me to proceed with extreme caution around anyone peddling an extended warranty. If they were such a good deal for consumers, the warranty companies would be out of business.

Do you have a copy of your policy? Does it allow them to source the repair with a used part? That sounds odd and I would not be happy about it, even if they could get the used trans for the price they are indicating. After all, if this happened when the car was under the MB original warranty, there would be no discussion of used parts.

Read your warranty to understand what rights you have. Then push back hard if you've got the facts on your side. See what your mechanic finds out when he talks to them as well.

Let us know how you make out.

By the way, there were a total of 1,299 C55's imported into NA in 2005 and only 451 in 2006. Not that it is important, but since you asked... I think your conclusion is correct - not likely to be too many C55 used tranny's in Canada.
Policy is basically a 1 page joke, you can read it here: http://www.globalwarranty.com/GW_Tit...Conditions.pdf. I went back and forth with the warranty company for a week. At one point my mechanic and I were convinced this guy didn't have a used trans. So I tried to call his bluff and get him to send the used one. Turns out he really had one for $1850, so I aborted that idea quickly. In the end the best I can do was get the warranty company to meet me halfway so I had to pay $500 out of pocket with an additional $150 deductible. Sucks to have to pay that! But I got my transmission totally flushed, new pump and torque converter and filled with new oil, and had the adaptations reset. The car drives great ever since!

I am wondering though, what's different on an AMG c55 (w203 body) vs say a c320 w203 body from the same year. Obviously the engine, brakes, wheels, interior. Is the transmission also different? I'd be curious to know what parts differ.

Thanks again for the replies throughout this nightmare experience!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
.........I am wondering though, what's different on an AMG c55 (w203 body) vs say a c320 w203 body from the same year. Obviously the engine, brakes, wheels, interior. Is the transmission also different? I'd be curious to know what parts differ.
So you're asking what the differences are between a 2005-2006 W203 C55 AMG and a 2005-2006 standard non-AMG W203 car? You've already mentioned engine, brakes, wheels, and interior (much more bolstered nappa leather seats with alcantara shoulder lining, sport steering wheel with shift buttons, different instrument cluster), and you are correct. Other things are:

1) Transmission: the C55 has an upgraded faster shifting 5 speed auto with AMG Speedshift programming (and a proper Manual mode which no other W203 has) and torque converter lock-up starting in first gear. C55 specific gear knob.

2) Revised ESP system that tries to mimic a mechanical LSD when you press ESP "off"

3) Suspension: C55 specific shocks/springs, anti-roll bars, etc which make the C55 ride noticeably stiffer/harsher than any other W203 C-class (and as such handles much better)

4) Bodywork: the entire front end of the C55 is different from all other W203 C-class sedans. The hood is from a W209 CLK; the front outer fenders are C55 specific (slightly more accentuated wheel arch flares); the grill is specific to the C55 (and does not lift up with the hood like other W203 sedans), the bumper is also C55 specific and different from the AMG sport package bumper on standard W203 sedans.

5) C55 exhaust system with quad exhaust tips at the rear and different rear bumper which are C55 specific.

6) Unique trunk lip spoiler not found on any other W203 sedan

7) Rear differential finned oil cooler not found on any other W203 sedan

There's probably other stuff, but that's all I know.

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 04-29-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:49 AM

check your alternator