C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

14.66@97.48mph at Cecil county with 19" Blizzack snow tires on the rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C32 ///AMG, 2000 BiTurbo Audi S4(RIP)
14.66@97.48mph at Cecil county with 19" Blizzack snow tires on the rear

R/T: 1.727 (whoops)
60': 2.310
1/8: 9.552
1/4: 14.661
MPH 97.48
Ran my stock C32 this Friday at Cecil county in northern MD. Pretty dissapointed in my times. Ran 4 times this was my fastest. Like the title says I have 19's (I think they're TSW Bremmas) with 265/35 Blizzack snows on the rear and 235/35 Pirelli summers on the front. Bought the car like this, and I thought they were Pirellis all around, didn't notice the Blizzacks till after the car was mine. So any thoughts on how much faster the car should go after I get proper summers on the rear? Any other ideas of why its so slow? I was thinking stock C32 runs 13.5-14 second ETs. My twin turbo s4 ran a 14.6 at the track before, but it also ran a 13.8, with no real changes to the car. Maybe just a bad track day (was a little damp)? I guess when I get some EC pulleys and tune, i'll get it on the dyno and see if its losing power somewhere. Any other suggestions?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
ouch

1) your 60 ft sucks. you were clearly spinning a ton.
2) winter tires don't help, and 19's are definitely going to be heavy

what was the DA?
what was your launch technique?
were you doing consecutive runs (hot lapping) or were you taking breaks inbetween runs?
when was the last time you cleaned/changed your air filters?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by ByeTurboS4
..I guess when I get..
I’ve never had a go at the ‘strip on snow tires.
You’re correct, though, that something is seriously amiss to be trapping only 97. Get it squared away before any hot rodding.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
dude i did a fat burnout and still ran a 14.5 my first time at the track! something is seriously wrong
Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Originally Posted by splinter
I’ve never had a go at the ‘strip on snow tires.
You’re correct, though, that something is seriously amiss to be trapping only 97. Get it squared away before any hot rodding.
+1

I don't care how much you spun off the line.

Your car is not making power if it's only trapping 97mph.

My car went 13.4 @ 105, bone stock, on all season tires.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
....i only brought up air filters because, back when i was MORE naive and stupid, i was running K&Ns and hadn't cleaned them in 2 years. i ran a low 14 at like 97, (albeit in a 5000 or something DA) when i was stock. my buddy advised me to clean my filters and i picked up all the mad power that i lost b/c no air was getting through. for *****s and giggles, a buddy and i did some quick rolls after i cleaned them against his then relatively stock LS1 camaro and i picked up the 1.5-2 cls (which was about i was behind on previous rolls with him) and was able to keep up on a 35 or something to like 90 roll. not saying it's your problem, but just something to think about.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:19 AM

You are all right. Obviously I was spinning off the line but not ridiculous. My 60' were terrible and the trap is terrible. I tried both shifting manually and in D. Keeping it in Drive was the fastest (this run). I was doing a light brake stand, but no matter how bad my technique may have been, it doesn't explain the low trap speeds. Ive recently had the car looked at, inspected and a small oil leak cleaned up. Everything else "appeared" fine The air filter is definitely a suspect because I haven't changed it yet and I have no idea how old it is. But I can't imagine it would be worth a whole second in the quarter. What else could be wrong that robs so much power? whats the easiest way to check for a boost leak? If I took it to a shop or to Benz and said its running slow, what would they do? I bought this car cause I wanted to be running low 13s with minimal modding.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 AM

Man I thought I was pissed on Friday night, now Im really heated. If I cant figure this out, Im gonna have to sell this car. I can't be driving around a 14 second AMG. Id like to believe that a combo of extremely dirty filters and 19s with snows are making the time so terrible, but deep down I don't believe it.
I need help! I really like this car!
Old 05-20-2011, 12:48 AM

Should I try to find a dyno and see if its putting down correct stock hp? Sounds like a lot of work and money that may just lead to speculation. Guess Im just grasping at straws.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 AM

02 C32 AMG, 06 C230 Sport (Gone)
Did you buy a Benz without a pre purchase inspection or any documentation of its service history? Because that would be IMO

Last edited by Mr.Benzo; 05-20-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts
Multiple
Man I thought I was pissed on Friday night, now Im really heated. If I cant figure this out, Im gonna have to sell this car. I can't be driving around a 14 second AMG. Id like to believe that a combo of extremely dirty filters and 19s with snows are making the time so terrible, but deep down I don't believe it.
I need help! I really like this car!
I had blizzaks on my M3. Those things weigh as much as a small asteroid in the kuiper belt. Mis-matched tires don't sound right to me, get a good set of lighter weight all seasons.

Some other cheap (relatively) fixes you can do are air filter (already pointed out), fuel filter, clean your plugs and replace if necessary.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by jturkel
....i only brought up air filters because, back when i was MORE naive and stupid, i was running K&Ns and hadn't cleaned them in 2 years. i ran a low 14 at like 97, (albeit in a 5000 or something DA) when i was stock. my buddy advised me to clean my filters and i picked up all the mad power that i lost b/c no air was getting through. for *****s and giggles, a buddy and i did some quick rolls after i cleaned them against his then relatively stock LS1 camaro and i picked up the 1.5-2 cls (which was about i was behind on previous rolls with him) and was able to keep up on a 35 or something to like 90 roll. not saying it's your problem, but just something to think about.
So what happened
Old 05-20-2011, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
So what happened
well i was actually referring back to a time when i legitimately knew NOTHING about cars. so i called myself MORE naive and stupid at the time b/c now, while i do indeed know MUCH more than i did, there is still so much that i dont know or understand. medical stuff on the other hand.....that is another story

but to make it funny, yah i didn't know that K&Ns got dirty quickly, and at the time, i didn't even know that i was supposed to clean those. and i just forgot or something. and yah, when in cleaned those out, i can't begin to explain how much of that arizona dust/crap in the air came out of those filters. i literally picked up 2 CLs...it was as if i had gotten a tune
Old 05-20-2011, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
well i was actually referring back to a time when i legitimately knew NOTHING about cars. so i called myself MORE naive and stupid at the time b/c now, while i do indeed know MUCH more than i did, there is still so much that i dont know or understand. medical stuff on the other hand.....that is another story

but to make it funny, yah i didn't know that K&Ns got dirty quickly, and at the time, i didn't even know that i was supposed to clean those. and i just forgot or something. and yah, when in cleaned those out, i can't begin to explain how much of that arizona dust/crap in the air came out of those filters. i literally picked up 2 CLs...it was as if i had gotten a tune
Just Joshing with you!!!

Although WHY would anyone race on Blizzaks?? They are soft for a reason and are not designed for "drag racing??" Might as well stick the spare donut on there and see what she does??
Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Just Joshing with you!!!

Although WHY would anyone race on Blizzaks?? They are soft for a reason and are not designed for "drag racing??" Might as well stick the spare donut on there and see what she does??
haha it's all good. i don't mind. you on fb btw (OT for sure lol)

and idk why, but IIRC, he wasn't aware he had snow tires
Old 05-20-2011, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
haha it's all good. i don't mind. you on fb btw (OT for sure lol)

and idk why, but IIRC, he wasn't aware he had snow tires
Nah, I am not a FB fan
Old 05-20-2011, 01:19 PM

2005 E55
Mike, as far as the engine you're stock still right? Add that to having heavy wheels and snow tires and I think that pretty much explains it. With a better reaction time, and lighter wheels / tires I don't see why you couldn't break into the 13's. Add cooling mods, Intake, pulley, and tune and your in the 12's.

Your supercharger isn't cutting out or anything is it?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Just to clear up a few things, my benz did have good service records and I did have a PPI done, but at an indy german shop, not at MB, which I regret. Also I ran with snows because they came on my car and I didn't get a chance to order all new summers yet. Anyway I figure there only a few things that are most likely to rob me of substantial power:boost leak, filter, plugs and wires, or something that causes loss of compression. So I'm ordering tires this week and ill prob do plugs, wires and the sl55 intake in the next week.

Chris: I can finally order all the Eurocharged parts I've been holding off on gettinng but I want to make sure the car is running correctly first, not use mods so it masks/corrects some other problem. Lightweight wheels would be awsome, and would hopefully make a noticable difference but they're not in my budget right now. Also correct me if I'm wrong but the reaction time shouldn't have anything to do with my quarter mile ETs, I think they start timing when you cross the line. I def need to improve my 60' times though. You should come with me to Cecil some Friday night.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Also correct me if I'm wrong but the reaction time shouldn't have anything to do with my quarter mile ETs, I think they start timing when you cross the line.
Exactly
Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 PM

Marsaydees
lol @ people that think reaction time has anything to do with ET
Old 05-20-2011, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Just to clear up a few things, my benz did have good service records and I did have a PPI done, but at an indy german shop, not at MB, which I regret. Also I ran with snows because they came on my car and I didn't get a chance to order all new summers yet. Anyway I figure there only a few things that are most likely to rob me of substantial power:boost leak, filter, plugs and wires, or something that causes loss of compression. So I'm ordering tires this week and ill prob do plugs, wires and the sl55 intake in the next week.

Chris: I can finally order all the Eurocharged parts I've been holding off on gettinng but I want to make sure the car is running correctly first, not use mods so it masks/corrects some other problem. Lightweight wheels would be awsome, and would hopefully make a noticable difference but they're not in my budget right now. Also correct me if I'm wrong but the reaction time shouldn't have anything to do with my quarter mile ETs, I think they start timing when you cross the line. I def need to improve my 60' times though. You should come with me to Cecil some Friday night.

You're correct that timing doesn't start till you hit light. RT doesnt have much to do with it UNLESS you're racing someone else, then its HUGE!!!

60 FT Time is huge because it shows if you're "hooking" or not(basically shows how well you're getting out of the hole). You can have a great RT and a crappy 60 foot time leading to a bad ET as well. Most guys with great ETs are belwo or well below 2.0 in the 60 foot time.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
lol @ people that think reaction time has anything to do with ET
+1, BUT if you're not bracket racing and going for the win against another car , RT is huge. This segues into my SprintBooster argument BUT we'll save that for another thread!!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
Exactly
yup, newz posted a video a while back of this clk55 running like a 11sec. time and he didn't go until 4 seconds after the tree turned green.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
yup, newz posted a video a while back of this clk55 running like a 11sec. time and he didn't go until 4 seconds after the tree turned green.
Yes, that's Ahmed (BLKBNZZ) on the forums and his CLK is a monster (Kleemanized)...........

He's quite the drag racer too!!

Note however that if he were racing another car, then RT would be relevant, just like it is in Pro Stock, Top Fuel etc. That's why they put it on Time Slips........
Old 05-20-2011, 07:14 PM

Marsaydees
+1, BUT if you're not bracket racing and going for the win against another car , RT is huge. This segues into my SprintBooster argument BUT we'll save that for another thread!!
oh god

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 14.66@97.48mph at Cecil county with 19" Blizzack snow tires on the rear