C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Slk 32 engine swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG, 2007 Chev Lumina SS, 2006 ML 320cdi
Slk 32 engine swap

Its been a while since I last posted because I blew my second motor in my 2002 C32, but now I have engine number 3 fitted at last. I managed to source a 2004 Slk 32 motor and I was told not to bother putting my old 185mm pulley on as the Slk ran a similiar boost (0.9 bar) plus it came from the factory with reworked heads. Any truth to this? I still have my software upgrade on my ECU, custom headers and full 76mm exhaust with no cats at all, K&N filters, etc - so my second question is: will this motor run as fast or faster than my previous ones and should I leave the pulley alone?
Pity I am not keeping the car anymore as it became too expensive to run so some lucky person will having lots of fun with it. Picking it up today after 2 months - can't wait! AMG will be selling it on their floor and have asked me to drive it for a week to make sure it has no oil leaks or rattles before they sell it. It's going to be a great week to have my old friend back. My replacement car is a 2007 Chevy Lumina 6 litre V8, but it's not the same.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
how the hell have you blown up 2 motors? how the hell have you blown up one motor? what are you doing?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Maybe your exhaust system is too free flowing? I tend to hear these stories of blown motors people that have free flowing exhausts headers, straight pipe, no cat (emulator?), etc... AFIK, the SLK32 is the exact same motor as the C32. Maybe some truth to the heads, but the pulley??? No, if it's OE it will be running the same boost 14.5 max PSI...

Last edited by gt4awd; 05-27-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:34 AM

2 blown motors and still no clue as to what happened other than the fact that both motors were 2002's (had my heads and cams checked and re-engineered) and that both times I cracked a single piston and damaged the block. I think it may have been a fueling (running lean) problem which may have caused detonation because of the way the piston is damaged. I am not the only one as I have seen another 2002 blown up twice - it was bone stock! My source tells me the Slk 32 runs a pulley 5mm larger than standard and that the heads have been re-worked (whatever that means).
We get some strange variations of cars here in South Africa so who knows. Counting down the hours till I get my 'ex' car back.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM

Got my car back from AMG this morning - sounds like a million $ with its new Slk motor and guess what? I drove it for 5 mins and all of a sudden no supercharger. My IC pump packed up so I turned around and it is back at AMG waiting for a new pump.
Does this crap ever end? I must own the worst example of any C32 ever built:
2 complete motors replaced, heads re-conditioned, cams re-conditioned,, blown valeo radiator, 2 sets of engine & gearbox mounts, replaced faulty doorlocks, replaced satnav LCD, faulty seats causing battery drain, both heater stepper motors faulty and now the IC pump. The repair bill is now more than the purchase price of the car.
I still love it though.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by I give up
Got my car back from AMG this morning - sounds like a million $ with its new Slk motor and guess what? I drove it for 5 mins and all of a sudden no supercharger. My IC pump packed up so I turned around and it is back at AMG waiting for a new pump.
Does this crap ever end? I must own the worst example of any C32 ever built:
2 complete motors replaced, heads re-conditioned, cams re-conditioned,, blown valeo radiator, 2 sets of engine & gearbox mounts, replaced faulty doorlocks, replaced satnav LCD, faulty seats causing battery drain, both heater stepper motors faulty and now the IC pump. The repair bill is now more than the purchase price of the car.
I still love it though.
Sorry to hear of your troubles man, hope things look up. The supercharged platform might be tunable but boy have I heard horror stories as far as maintenance costs go.