C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

display malfunction - multiple odd messages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 c32 amg 94 3000gt vr4
display malfunction - multiple odd messages

while driving, for the past few days, occasionally my car will flip out, throw a display malfunction message, turn on the high beam indicator, the srs light, parking brake light, and sometimes the brake fluid light. it goes away after a few minutes but yesterday it seemed to be getting worse. while driving it would do that, then other times it would keep popping up with service due(my service B is -100 miles due right now, waiting for the weekend to do it). last night it only did this when i punched the gas for a second. dash lights turned off so i couldnt see the speedometer or tach, and it threw the display malfunction, srs, parking brake lights on. i assumed these are low voltage codes and my battery is getting close to dying but it has no slow crank and no other signs. the other thought i had was maybe the alternator. but i tested both battery and alternator yesterday. battery putting out 600cca and alternator is charging fine. im still driving around with a jump box in my trunk but this is getting me a little worried considering i just ordered a ton of parts for my car that havent even arrived yet and i may have a much bigger bill in my near future. any input would be appreciated. thanks in advance
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 PM

02 c32 amg 94 3000gt vr4
changed the battery with a spare one 900cca one for the 650. still having all the same lights turning on. it happens most when im heavy into the throttle so my thoughts were alternator or belt slipping. althought i hear no sound at all from the belt and i havent seen a battery/alternator malfunction light yet. i checked the fault codes and have a ton of codes ranging from esp, brake fluid, and srs, but also have undervoltage and overvoltage in there as well. does anyone have any thoughts? or am i taking this thing to mercedes tomorrow morning?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
Something wrong with the ECU? Maybe try to get it updated?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:15 PM

02 c32 amg 94 3000gt vr4
Originally Posted by MBfinatic
Something wrong with the ECU? Maybe try to get it updated?
probably not, but thanks for the input. after some test driving, i noticed i can cause it to happen whenever im on a very rough barely paved road a mile from my house. but on a perfectly flat road i can punch it to 80 with no problem. this is leaning me towards a loose ground strap somewhere now or possibly still the alternator. ill put it up in the air tomorrow morning and see what i can find. if i dont see anything too obvious then off to mercedes i go.

Last edited by twinttsvr4; 07-14-2011 at 11:02 PM.