C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 may be down for a while.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 300zx, 96 Tacoma, 99 ML320
C32 may be down for a while.

Shew its been a while since i been on here. C32 has been down off and on and so has my internet. I'll start with my problem i have now:

So i've been driving the C32 everywhere the past few weeks. Just put puttin around town and whatnot. Even took it to Fan Appreciation Day at Bristol Motor Speedway and got to take it around the track Anyways, all that is over now. I noticed the valves were starting to get a bit noisy on the passenger side. I drove it a few more times and it went away and then it came back pretty bad. I found it to be under the passenger intake manifold.. so off it came. Well, the Needswings intake gaskets have broken down and have gone down into the intake valves.

I'm not sure what to do from this point and i'm kind of lost. I'm not sure why the gaskets came apart like they did. It almost looks like they came apart in tiny pieces and of course melted.

If anyone has any ideas or what i should do just let me know. I'm really not mad or anything but i probably will be in a few days after its all sunk in. I'm guessing my next step is new heads?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
^sorry i used my old account from years ago.

Also if anyone has any idea on how much this will cost. HA!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
well the good thing is trhe gaskets are cork not metal. not knowing how much was consumed by the engine maybe start with a seafoam flush and new oil, then listen to see if it quiets down?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 PM

ML
i thought about that, but i'm not sure how much of a difference that will make. I have a few ideas up my sleeve, and i'll try them, but worse case scenario off the heads come

I'm still not sure why they did what they did. Oh well i guess. A new Toyota Tacoma is looking pretty good right now
Old 08-14-2011, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Sorry to hear about that. If you have an intake gasket that melted, the obvious is first: don’t use that manufacturer’s gasket again. Second, just pull the heads and hand them to your favorite machine shop. You want a valve job. They’ll resurface the head, clean and grind the valves, grind the seats, measure the springs, check all studs, install new seals, check the guides, and reassemble. If you need guides (doubtful unless you’re using oil) they’ll let you know. Same for valves. Now for the fun part; which machine shop? If you know a good place, it may not be expensive. Being a relative term, you want to know what “expensive” is. I'm guessing $1K or so. That’s based on pricing at the best machine shop I know. They charge $600 for a six cylinder valve job (2V/cylinder). You have one extra valve per cylinder, so figure $900. You could save some cash and disassemble the heads yourself and bring them bare heads and valves. That’s $15 per valve and $20 per seat in my neck of the woods.

Me personally, I’d consider cleaning the melted bits of composite gasket. If it’s not doable, then yeah, the valve job. Keep in mind, a new Tacoma is going to drop $3K in value after a year.

Last edited by MarcusF; 08-14-2011 at 11:09 PM.