C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Buying a 2005 C55, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't have a Mercedes right now...
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Yeah it seems that pretty soon the stealerships will be selling cars for peanuts so that they can make money by selling parts and servicing them at ridicolous prices like they do with the printers
Old 11-12-2011, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by YOgun27
So I went to the MB dealership for a pre-purchase inspection, which was great advice by the way. The exterior looked pretty good, minus chipping on one rim. Under the hood/car, the dealer found some substantial problems listed here (parts/labor on pricing):
1) Motor Mounts & Tranny Mounts: $1,357.38
2) Rear Diff Reseal: $1,588.47
3) Right Valve Cover Gasket Leaking: $570.74
4) Rear Main Seal: $2,274.87
5) Poly V-Belt: $237.51
6) Brake 50% (Front Rotors Scored): $1,275.69
7) Spark Plugs: $1,570.75
8) Nav Disc Update: $249.99
9) Left/Right Marker Bulbs: $50.36
(Parts Total: $2,701.62 Grand Total: $8,925.77)

The first four listed problems are covered under the Fidelity Warranty. #5, the Poly V-Belt will be covered at the seller's costs. I'm going to try and negotiate part of the brakes and/or spark plugs, in reducing the asking price of $16,000. What price should I ask for in total, given the problems above? Is it still worth it to buy this car?
None of these are deal breakers in a mechanical way, it's all just monetary. It's great the first 4 are covered by a warranty. Brakes are a wear item. At 50% wear I am surprised the rotors are scored. Did the dealership comment if they are within wear tolerance. Perhaps the prior owner just replaced the pads the last time (not advisable on an AMG) hence the scoring from the prior worn pads. I might hit him up for the cost of the rotors and split the labor. Spark plugs are also a wear item. If they were changed at the recommended interval, then you might not get much on this item. Besides, you can change them yourself and save a bunch of money. Let the dealer do the warranty work and seek out an idie for the rest. You'll be surprised at the savings. When you get the car flush all the fluids (unless you have records that this has recently been done or they are done with the warranty repairs). That way you know the starting point for future changes.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 C55 AMG, 2017 AMG C63
So the seller won't budge off the $16,000 asking price, even given the repairs needed. In the forum's honest opinion, would you still buy this car for $16,000? Again the brakes and spark plugs are the only items not covered by warranty. (I'm sure I can find a Nav disc for less than $250.) How much would an indie charge for spark plugs and rotors? I'm supposed to close the deal on Monday, so I just want to make sure I'm getting the best deal possible!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
The dealer is being a dealer on those prices. I fixed my right side valve cover for $7 worth of MB correct sealer (it's the upper covers that leaks where the sealant gave up after years of heat cycling) and you can buy a Contitech serpentine belt for $30. Just those two items is a swing of $772. You can change the belt in like five minutes with nothing more than a 17mm socket and a breaker bar. Brake rotors are only $125 each for drilled correct ones, just look on RM European.com or germanautoparts.com. The ONLY thing that would truely be pricey is the rear main, if it really is bad. Personally, if I was selling a 64k miles C55 and asking only $16k, I would tell you to go find a nicer one for less money, this car must not be for you.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am a service adviser for MB, and unless their hourly labor rate is >$200/hr they are taking you for quite a ride.

I know dealers are more expensive but damn, most of that stuff we would charge about half.

$16k for a 69k mile C55 is a deal. I miss mine every day.

As far as the rotors being scored, unless they are vibrating when braking of squealing non stop any scoring or any grooving is completely normal.

Here's what I would charge $1000.00 for 3 motor mounts, $700.00 for Valve cover gaskets (both), $1600.00 for the rear main, $950 for rear diff side seals.

My experience with both the rear main and rear diff is neither are probably nothing more than a seep and hardly worth fixing unless you are **** as hell.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
As long as the car runs fine and has warranty, 16k is a steal. I purchased mine for 15k and it had a little over 70k miles.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
Def too much for brake rotors... Just got mine done a few months back, genuine OEM rotors and pads, and it was less than half what they quoted you (not from stealership).

However, still a STEAL of a price, especially with some warranty on there as well. C55's even with that kind of mileage go for $20k or more in our area. If I had some extra cash around I could probably arbitrage it and sell high over here, haha
Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 C55 AMG, 2017 AMG C63
Originally Posted by AMG Sleeper
Def too much for brake rotors... Just got mine done a few months back, genuine OEM rotors and pads, and it was less than half what they quoted you (not from stealership).

However, still a STEAL of a price, especially with some warranty on there as well. C55's even with that kind of mileage go for $20k or more in our area. If I had some extra cash around I could probably arbitrage it and sell high over here, haha
That's good to hear. Can you pm me the shop where you got the rotors and pads done? My next search is for a good local shop in the DC area that specializes in AMGs. I'm trying to plan on saving money with the dealership once the warranty ends.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
Originally Posted by YOgun27
That's good to hear. Can you pm me the shop where you got the rotors and pads done? My next search is for a good local shop in the DC area that specializes in AMGs. I'm trying to plan on saving money with the dealership once the warranty ends.
Definitely man - I recommend the guys at Benz Elite in Alexandria, I've been getting my car serviced by them for the last couple years and have referred a lot of people to them. It's owned by Emile & Eddie, who are certified AMG techs, and believe me, these guys know their stuff. In addition to being fairly priced, they are cool guys who care about doing things the right way!

We actually had a benz meet today: https://mbworld.org/forums/events-ga...-dc-md-va.html If you PM me your contact info I'll add to our list and keep you updated about whenever we host meets, new car unveilings, etc.