C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Bye bye C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63
Bye bye C32

The tranny jerk / torque converter finally got to me. After putting up with it for a year, I just had to let her go. It was just too embarrasing when carting other people around and too uncomfortable in traffic. For the life of me, I can't understand how Mercedes/AMG could let this through their factory floor. Without this problem, I'd still be driving it. It had loads of power, fantastic acceleration, handles well, drifts beautifully and had all the creature comfort that one could ask for. I don't think I will miss it.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
TCU Software update would have solved the issue.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Yea I'm getting tired of the Jerk as well...
Old 10-28-2011, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Bye.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:01 AM

C32
tranny jerk

got a 2000 C230 K that jerks and C32 with the same issue but my 230 with synthetic dosent jerk as much, will make the upgrade on the C32 and tell you about it.

I have been told that most tranny issue are in fact caused by TPS sensors and sometimes CPS that all feed the tranny info for shift points.

my 2 pennies
Old 10-28-2011, 09:39 AM

me NUTS!
Originally Posted by Budget Baller
Yea I'm getting tired of the Jerk as well...
Who likes jerks anyway?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:15 PM

c32
My 04, the jerk is only noticed when looking for it. And even then might just be in my head. Did AMG fix this for 04s?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
Originally Posted by Benzboy13
My 04, the jerk is only noticed when looking for it. And even then might just be in my head. Did AMG fix this for 04s?
Yes, the software was updated for 2004 and it is a non-issue with those models. The updated software can be flashed to the TCU at the dealership or done by Eurocharged.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911
Originally Posted by chris.bachman
Yes, the software was updated for 2004 and it is a non-issue with those models. The updated software can be flashed to the TCU at the dealership or done by Eurocharged.
This is very good news, do you recommend replacing the crankshaft sensor as well or is this unnecessary with TCU tune? Is the TCU tune permanent as such, as the adaptive transmission down tunes the reflash or Jerry tune after a while? (if that makes sense)
Old 10-28-2011, 10:26 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by macbryanie
This is very good news, do you recommend replacing the crankshaft sensor as well or is this unnecessary with TCU tune? Is the TCU tune permanent as such, as the adaptive transmission down tunes the reflash or Jerry tune after a while? (if that makes sense)
The CPS has fixed the problem for some people. If your tranny jerk (surely there is a more appropriate name) is quite bad then I personally would replace the CPS since it is only $44 and get the new software update as well. If whichever one you do first fixes the problem then you might not need to do the second. The TCU flash is obviously quite a lot more expensive than the sensor.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:48 PM

Porsche 2004 911
Originally Posted by tw2
The CPS has fixed the problem for some people. If your tranny jerk (surely there is a more appropriate name) is quite bad then I personally would replace the CPS since it is only $44 and get the new software update as well. If whichever one you do first fixes the problem then you might not need to do the second. The TCU flash is obviously quite a lot more expensive than the sensor.
Yes, Sound advice,Thanking you, With the CPS there are both the OEM and Hella CPS. There was a thread recently discussing this but left an unanswered: if the ultimate cause is the OEM CPS, I am inclined to purchase the OEM from autohauz. I am definitely jumping on the TCU tune when its remote compatible so first up the CPS. I recall Splinter chimed in on the tail of that thread and had tried everything adding that the CPS made a difference. I just wonder if its the OEM CPS that leads to the "jerk".
Old 10-29-2011, 03:22 AM

2012 C63
Originally Posted by chris.bachman
I did plenty f research on this problem and I'm not entirely sure if it would fixed the problem. If it did, there wouldn't be any C55 owners complaining about this. I spoke to the dealership here & they said they couldn't guarantee the fix so I thought f$@k it, I wasn't going to throw more good money at it so off she goes.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:15 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Yes, Sound advice,Thanking you, With the CPS there are both the OEM and Hella CPS. There was a thread recently discussing this but left an unanswered: if the ultimate cause is the OEM CPS, I am inclined to purchase the OEM from autohauz. I am definitely jumping on the TCU tune when its remote compatible so first up the CPS. I recall Splinter chimed in on the tail of that thread and had tried everything adding that the CPS made a difference. I just wonder if its the OEM CPS that leads to the "jerk".
If I personally had the problem with my car I would get the NON-oem one for that exact reason. However the TCU update looks like a good bet also and the results look excellent from the youtube video showing gear change times significantly reduced.
Originally Posted by joeljp
I did plenty f research on this problem and I'm not entirely sure if it would fixed the problem. If it did, there wouldn't be any C55 owners complaining about this. I spoke to the dealership here & they said they couldn't guarantee the fix so I thought f$@k it, I wasn't going to throw more good money at it so off she goes.
Your car is there to be enjoyed. If its pissing you off then yeah definitely move on. There is other good stuff out there.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK550
My 02 C32 has never had this jerk problem. I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:07 AM

2012 C63
Originally Posted by RedBull
My 02 C32 has never had this jerk problem. I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones.
You are indeed one of the very few. I wonder what that percentage would be?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
The tranny jerk / torque converter finally got to me. After putting up with it for a year, I just had to let her go. It was just too embarrasing when carting other people around and too uncomfortable in traffic. For the life of me, I can't understand how Mercedes/AMG could let this through their factory floor. Without this problem, I'd still be driving it. It had loads of power, fantastic acceleration, handles well, drifts beautifully and had all the creature comfort that one could ask for. I don't think I will miss it.
I had the same thing and had a local shop replace the trans cooler, radiator, and flush the trans fluids. So far it has been a year or longer and no issues.
I am not saying this is your problem, but I had a similar experience. Best to
you.

Bob
Old 10-29-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32 AMG
How bad is the jerk for you guys really? For me it just feels like an extra shift at 1500rpm, but I might have got the mild version?
And no, I'm not bothered by it at all, actually I didn't notice it until you guys mentioned it.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by Apox
How bad is the jerk for you guys really? For me it just feels like an extra shift at 1500rpm, but I might have got the mild version?
And no, I'm not bothered by it at all, actually I didn't notice it until you guys mentioned it.
Mine felt like the suspension was coming apart or odd hard clunking. My torque converter wasn't properly engaging and when my mechanic replaced the trans cooler, radiator, and flushed the system, all went away.

Bob
Old 10-29-2011, 04:39 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I see no signs of this problem in my 02 either but I haven't had it very long.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:00 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
My jerk is also very very noticeable. The only way around it at the moment is to manually shift from 1st to 2nd.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 PM

2012 C63
My jerk is also very very noticeable. The only way around it at the moment is to manually shift from 1st to 2nd.
That's what I used to do as well. The trouble is when you're stuck in traffic, that's when it gets really jerky. Whenever it hits around 1500rpm.. thump... grrrrr It was also very embarrasing when carting clients around when they commented "what's wrong with your transmission?", "Is this normal for a Merc?". Then one had to explain it's to do with the blah blah, which they had no idea what I was talking about

The new E280 CDI feels so much nicer, rather sedate in comparison but sure beats the rough ride.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:49 PM

Porsche 2004 911
Same here, Wife drives like a snail and it is very noticable when in the car at low speeds, under load its fine. It was a slight jerk when I bought the car. After a tune it cleared up for about a week..now it is back in full force. It bothers me until I hit the loud pedal...no jerk and a smile instead. OEM CPS purchased, have installed Behr radiator and flushed transmission (two weeks ago). Will have the CPS installed in a couple of weeks after new pully arrives. All hopes are on the TCU tune to be honest.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:52 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
That's what I used to do as well. The trouble is when you're stuck in traffic, that's when it gets really jerky. Whenever it hits around 1500rpm.. thump... grrrrr It was also very embarrasing when carting clients around when they commented "what's wrong with your transmission?", "Is this normal for a Merc?". Then one had to explain it's to do with the blah blah, which they had no idea what I was talking about

The new E280 CDI feels so much nicer, rather sedate in comparison but sure beats the rough ride.

I know exactly you what you mean. I'm glad your like the E280 that's exactly what I was looking to move into. The 32 runs great when there's no traffic and you can really lay into it. But I'm in Riverside California, I spend more time in traffic than not.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:53 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Same here, Wife drives like a snail and it is very noticable when in the car at low speeds, under load its fine. It was a slight jerk when I bought the car. After a tune it cleared up for about a week..now it is back in full force. It bothers me until I hit the loud pedal...no jerk and a smile instead. OEM CPS purchased, have installed Behr radiator and flushed transmission (two weeks ago). Will have the CPS installed in a couple of weeks after new pully arrives. All hopes are on the TCU tune to be honest.
Let us know how that goes. I just purchased a CPS though I haven't had time to install it yet. It's a last ditch effort. If it works great, if not. Oh well
Old 10-30-2011, 03:45 AM

2012 C63
I know exactly you what you mean. I'm glad your like the E280 that's exactly what I was looking to move into. The 32 runs great when there's no traffic and you can really lay into it. But I'm in Riverside California, I spend more time in traffic than not.
Without going off the C32 track too much, after 5 days with the E280 it's surprisingly nice car to drive around. With the C32, I would have had to fill up already...haha I still have 2/3 tank left. I know that folks with AMG and other high performance cars don't take cost of gas into account when getting into one but it's just a refreshing change not having to fill up every 4 days.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bye bye C32