C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Safe or not safe to jump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG, Hummer H2
Safe or not safe to jump?

Once and for all, is safe or not to jump start our C55? Some say it will blow up the rear SAM, some say it's perfectly safe. So which is it?

Also, how do I go into "dyno mode" to check the battery voltage?

And what's a good brand trickle charger and where can I buy it? I'm not sure if the ones at Sears etc. are okay.

Oh, does anybody also have the part no. for the "voltage regulator" (for the alternator)?

It seems obvious that I'm getting into some paranoia about the battery dying on me hehe...
Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
For dyno mode, put the key in the position right before start and press the reset stick on the speedometer 3 times quickly and you should hear a beep. Once you hear the beep press the page down button and the menu should come up.

Do you still have the factory battery, if you do the battery could be bad. I would recommend having the battery tested to see if it's still good. I remember having a similar problem on the C32, but I think I may have used a generic trickle charge to revive the battery. I can't remember if I jump started it. Remember the car requires quite a bit of power to start.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:15 PM

C55 AMG
I have never heard of a problem with jumping the car, mine has just been dying bc of a faulty seat module which is extremely common on these cars, they leak power 24/7 causing it to die over night. any trickle charger will work as long as it is low amps. the voltage regulator does go on these cars on average around 75k miles sometimes more.

Adam
Old 11-15-2011, 09:50 PM

05 c55
I jump started my c55 once and the keyless entry quit working till I reset it by pulling the fuse for it in the trunk. I also had to reset the one-touch windows (holding the button for 10 seconds or whatever after it reaches the limit of travel each way) and the sunroof. Next time I jump started it I just made sure the other car was turned off before starting mine and I had no more issues.
You can also get battery voltage on the comand screen if you do the Alpine Testmode (center select button, 7 and mute) without turning off the car. The voltage it shows there seems to generally be about .2 less than on the instrument panel in dyno mode.

Last edited by simmy; 11-16-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 PM

E55 AMG, Hummer H2
Thanks guys!