Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Snow Tires

Hi AMG drivers!!

I'm really enjoying my newly acquired 2005 C55! One complaint I have with the MB dealer is that over the weekend, I realized the car has 225/40/18 Michelin Alpins PA3 snow tires in the back, and 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport in the front. According to the Tire Rack, mixing snow tires with performance tires is a no-no.

I went back to the dealer asking for them to replace the rear snows with standard performance tires in the back, but my answer was that its a good idea to have snows in the back at this time of the year, and that the car was sold "as-is".

I'm kicking myself for not having spotted this during the test drive.

The previous owner used this setup I suspect to not having to buy wheels.

I wanted to ask if in Long Island, NY, (roads are usually plowed), if I can get away with this setup, or if I risk suspension damage because the fronts may slip while the rears grip? (According to Tire Rack, the Pilots are summer tires, and should not be used in the winter).

Tks. for any feedback!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I would swap out those fronts for a dedicated snow tire for sure. If you get any decent amount of snow at all, I think you will be toast. Summer performance tires just don't have the proper siping to manage snow. Just imagine under steering into a tree. Also, summer performance tires' compounds are no suitable for lower temperatures. The rubber gets hardened and won't provide the proper traction required.

All of my comments are based on the assumption that your fronts do not have an M&S rating. An M&S marking on the side may indicate an all season or winter tire. But my recollection is that the Michelin Pilot Sport is a performance summer tire.

Okay, maybe you may not get the volume of snow or the low temperatures I get where I live (western Canada) but you must get some snow where you live? They play hockey in New York, right? In all my driving life, I've always used dedicated snow tires during the winter months. I would not go without, especially for such a powerful RWD car.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 AM

Tks. for the response. U confirmed my thoughts. I'm just really upset that the dealer would sell a car like that. Either way, though I still would have to buy snow tires, so its not as bad as it may seem. Plus the Alpins PA 3 are $$$.

Just didn't want to subject the AMG rims to the snow. (Also don't want to subject the car to the snow, but not much can be done about that). Does hosing it from underneath after a drive in the snow help?

And yep, we've been getting lots of snow in NYC for the past couple of years.....last year was crazy....
Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2004 E55
If you have the factory wheels you shouldn't have 225/40's all the way around.

Unless you have a set of winter wheels which I believe are all 7.5"

Because on the standard wheels the fronts are 7.5" wide and the backs are 8.5" if they are the same all the way around you must have some stretch on the back tires.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by thtguy
If you have the factory wheels you shouldn't have 225/40's all the way around.

Unless you have a set of winter wheels which I believe are all 7.5"

Because on the standard wheels the fronts are 7.5" wide and the backs are 8.5" if they are the same all the way around you must have some stretch on the back tires.
You're right. I'll double check the rear rims. I know for sure they are 225/40 18 in front and back. It seems the previous owner only wanted winter rears using stock rims...
Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I wouldn't worry too much if you are on square set of tires on the staggered wheels. I ran such a set up on my C43, but in 17s. Indeed, it's the factory recommended setup. While there is a bit of stretch, it's not obscene (like in 'stance' obscene). The idea, anyway, is to have a narrower tire that will 'cut' through the snow. On rally cars set up for snow rallying, you would have a really, really narrow tire, with studs. That's a bit extreme for the street though. When I bought the winters for my C55, I was glad to find a staggered wheel and tire set up. Coz let's face it, in the city, most of the time the roads are plowed, and while I may not be driving on dry tarmac all the time, studs are too much.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Back in the days when I was learning to drive the family car only had snow tires on the rear. I used to take it skiing all the time and didn't think twice about it. But now that I know what understeer is there is no way I'd do it again.

After learning first hand just how bad summer performance tires are on a C55 in the snow I put on Continental DWS all-season tires all around. And that was with the front end matching the rear, snows on the rear only are understeer just waiting to happen.

While I haven't had a chance to try the DWS' out in snow, I figure that they're a reasonable compromise. I would expect an all-season tire on all four corners to do OK in NY snow based on a couple winters in up the Hudson from NYC just as long as the plows make it out.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by lkfoster
Back in the days when I was learning to drive the family car only had snow tires on the rear. I used to take it skiing all the time and didn't think twice about it. But now that I know what understeer is there is no way I'd do it again.

After learning first hand just how bad summer performance tires are on a C55 in the snow I put on Continental DWS all-season tires all around. And that was with the front end matching the rear, snows on the rear only are understeer just waiting to happen.

While I haven't had a chance to try the DWS' out in snow, I figure that they're a reasonable compromise. I would expect an all-season tire on all four corners to do OK in NY snow based on a couple winters in up the Hudson from NYC just as long as the plows make it out.
This is my advice exactly, get a set of Continental DWS A/S for all four corners. I have put these tires on 3 of my cars including my current CLK55, they are an amazing tire. Decent in the snow,(have not had CLK55 in the snow though, drove another car with same tires), and great grip in the dry. Cut a 1.9 60' with the clk55.

I wish they made the DWS for my ML55, alas they do not. So I am running a dedicated snow tire setup for the winter. If you got the cash to spare, there is nothing better than a dedicated snow tire/wheel combo. I highly recommend it. If not the DWS is a good way to go.

What ever you do not run the summer tires in the front. Remember, front tires are needed to stop.