C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Guidance please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Wink Guidance please

I have a few errors on my dashboard display on my C32 AMG (2002).
  • "Engine Oil Level when not on"- Obviously need an oil change
  • "ESP not available"
  • Check Engine light in ON
Due to lack of funds and having my first baby, I did not drive my car for 9 months or crank it for 5 months. I just replaced the battery and detailed the outside. I am sure I need new tires and an oil change. Is there anything else that I should look into to ensure that it will be reliable? I am a woman that does not work on her car much, but I have used this site to learn how to replace my own "Crankshaft Replacement" sensor. I am willing to learn how to care for this care and save money by doing it myself. I really appreciate all of your knowledge and assistance.

If I could get some guidance, it would be much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Esp might be on because you changed the battery and you can go to AutoZone to get the cel checked. Is the car running bad or differently?

If you can change the crankshaft position sensor, then you could definitely do an oil change. I would invest in an oil extractor and strap wrench. You can get the oil filter online for less than $20 shipped and if you're willing to buy in bulk, you can get 10 filters for $100. The oil will cost about $9 a quart and you need 8.5 quarts. If you're lucky to might he able to find a sale and get the oil for half price. I try to stock up every time I see a sale.

The oil change procedure with an oil extractor is a piece of cake and will take you less than 30 minutes. With the strap wrench remove the oil filter canister at the right of the engine towards the front of the car. Make sure to have a few paper towels and a plastic bag to put the canister and the filter into. If you don't you'll get oil all over the place. Then you cab remove the oil by sucking it out of the dipstick tube located in the middle of the engine by the throttle body with the oil extractor. The oil will come out by itself. Now remove the oil filter from the canister, pulls right off, and discard in the plastic bag. Clean the canister a bit and install the o rings that come with the filter on to the canister. Then push the new filter on to the canister. Now you can reinstall the canister back on to the engine using the strap wrench. Check the amount of oil you have removed and refill it with the same amount. Should be around 8 quarts, then check it with the oil level in dyno mode to see if your oil level is correct. Add oil if necessary, should be 8.5 quarts.

Depending on mileage you may need new shocks and definitely get an alignment after the tire change. You may also want to check your brake pads and rotors for wear. Check the coolant level, if low could be signs of other issues. Spark plugs may need changing after 100k miles.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 S420 2006 C55AMG 2002Mustang GT
make sure to run the engine till hot before doing an oil change, you want warm oil. and that engine oil message isnt really an error. you cant check your oil while the engine is running. and just for future reference make sure to check the oil with the engine cold. checking it after running even after the timer has cleared isnt 100% accurate. oil is still up in the head slowly coming back down. just my 2 cents there and not to insult if you already knew this all but never hurts to throw this out there.