Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by arekux
here is video from thunderhill track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfTXHjHI-yQ
Nice pictures and video (very clear!). Good to see another C-AMG owner enjoy their car on a road coarse/track.

What was most notable for me was how different a C32 sounds under hard acceleration compared to the C55 when I saw your video. This is the first time I can hear this supercharger "whine" that C32 owners talk about. It is a much higher pitched sound compared to the "growl" that I constantly hear when I push my C55 at the track.

It is much easier to drive on a DRY track. On a wet track, I find it is so easy to oversteer in turns because of the immense torque we have in our cars. You really have to be gentle on the throttle and drive smoothly to make any progress in the rain on a track.

And good tires make an immense difference (more so than any supspension modification).

Perhaps you were going at more of a leisurely pace, but I would suggest in the future that you hold and turn your steering wheel with your hands in the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. It is very uncommon that you have to take your hands away from those positions during lapping events at most tracks. The "shuffling" technique I see you using in your video when turning may not work so well when you start going at a faster pace and you need to make faster steering corrections in the middle of a turn.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Nice pictures and video (very clear!). Good to see another C-AMG owner enjoy their car on a road coarse/track.

What was most notable for me was how different a C32 sounds under hard acceleration compared to the C55 when I saw your video. This is the first time I can hear this supercharger "whine" that C32 owners talk about. It is a much higher pitched sound compared to the "growl" that I constantly hear when I push my C55 at the track.

It is much easier to drive on a DRY track. On a wet track, I find it is so easy to oversteer in turns because of the immense torque we have in our cars. You really have to be gentle on the throttle and drive smoothly to make any progress in the rain on a track.

And good tires make an immense difference (more so than any supspension modification).

Perhaps you were going at more of a leisurely pace, but I would suggest in the future that you hold and turn your steering wheel with your hands in the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. It is very uncommon that you have to take your hands away from those positions during lapping events at most tracks. The "shuffling" technique I see you using in your video when turning may not work so well when you start going at a faster pace and you need to make faster steering corrections in the middle of a turn.

X2, too much hand movement. Not like you're on a tight road course. Good job in the wet though!!! The Regenmeister would be proud!!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
[QUOTE=MRAMG1;5024382]
Originally Posted by Newzchspy

VERY good advice my friend.

Just keep in mind that toe out will ware your tire out in no time at all.

By the way, Castor ONLY helps high speed stability.

But it does make for some great trun capabilities, IMHO
Many years of experience my friend. IMHO, the tires are vital for this!! If his fronts are scary and understeering in the dry , I can't imagine what they're doing in the rain...............

You're right, the toe will wear the fronts out like crazy, BUT sure makes for a nice line in the turns............................
Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
Thx for advice I'm going try hold my steering wheel with 9 and 3 o clock position, probably put better tires on my car.

Last edited by arekux; 01-27-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[QUOTE=Newzchspy;5025058]
Originally Posted by MRAMG1

Many years of experience my friend. IMHO, the tires are vital for this!! If his fronts are scary and understeering in the dry , I can't imagine what they're doing in the rain...............

You're right, the toe will wear the fronts out like crazy, BUT sure makes for a nice line in the turns............................
I hear you my friend. I can't believe that I have been around this stuff now for over two decades.

Anyway, like your style
Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
wow your drifting video looks like a lot of fun!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Because I'm a bit of an idiot I didn't record any of my drifting sessions. I did get a few minutes of tracktime though:

http://youtu.be/Vicbvnop4os

Apologies for the lack of editing... I'm really not much good at that :/.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Also, here is some lap data from trackmaster. I did a lot more laps than it shows, and many of them were in the 2:40s that it just didn't get :/. Not particularly impressive, even for the wet, but I'm ok with that -- I really wasn't looking to spin out onto the mud

http://www.mytrackmaster.com/#Sessio...ZXNzaW9uGPUZDA
Old 01-28-2012, 02:30 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by ZachG
Also, here is some lap data from trackmaster. I did a lot more laps than it shows, and many of them were in the 2:40s that it just didn't get :/. Not particularly impressive, even for the wet, but I'm ok with that -- I really wasn't looking to spin out onto the mud

http://www.mytrackmaster.com/#Sessio...ZXNzaW9uGPUZDA
Nice video, how do you get trackmaster?
Old 01-28-2012, 03:42 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by arekux
Nice video, how do you get trackmaster?
It's an android app (I don't know if they are on the iPhone too). $5 I think. Totally worth it
Old 01-28-2012, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
no lsd right?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:28 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
no lsd right?
not yet, but in near future yes.