C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Needswings C32 Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Your probably right. Here's my situation though....... the car is actually my wife's daily driver. She only commutes 20 miles/day compared to my 150 so I give it to her for I don't want to put the miles on it. Also, she has no idea that I'm upgrading the vehicle.

I've prepped her by explaining that i'm going through the car and maintaining it. I had to replace the S/C clutch last month because the bearing was bad. She could tell the difference in sound (better now) and also recognized an improvement to the performance. This is a good setup for me now that I'm going to change the pulley, add a tune and install a H/E and I/C Pump all under the guise of doing periodic maintenance.

Update- I was speaking to her on the phone as she was going to work this morning and commented that she was getting onto the highway and said..... "the car is running much better. No one can come near me now." but you need to know my wife is one of those who don't care about performance and is actually afraid of it.

Score one for me!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by MDQMan
Your probably right. Here's my situation though....... the car is actually my wife's daily driver. She only commutes 20 miles/day compared to my 150 so I give it to her for I don't want to put the miles on it. Also, she has no idea that I'm upgrading the vehicle.

I've prepped her by explaining that i'm going through the car and maintaining it. I had to replace the S/C clutch last month because the bearing was bad. She could tell the difference in sound (better now) and also recognized an improvement to the performance. This is a good setup for me now that I'm going to change the pulley, add a tune and install a H/E and I/C Pump all under the guise of doing periodic maintenance.

Update- I was speaking to her on the phone as she was going to work this morning and commented that she was getting onto the highway and said..... "the car is running much better. No one can come near me now." but you need to know my wife is one of those who don't care about performance and is actually afraid of it.

Score one for me!
Haha!

"...It's weird honey. All of a sudden the tires have awful traction...."
Old 02-15-2012, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
MDQMAN, don't take offense but maybe you should spend some of the modding $$$ on an AMG driving school for your wife. It is also a good thing for men and is a lot of fun.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 PM

C32 AMG
No offense taken. I've been wanting to take the AMG driving car myself- and will probably do that someday. As for the wife......... there's no way she would do that. She gets mad at me for the way I drive the car as it is.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Lenin
Thanks. I do like the look. I also have red manis to go with this intake. Unlikely I'll pick up much without the rest of the changes that I have planned. I'm always going for the records, but not forgeting to have good time while doing it.

Catching you? Steve, this is a W203 forum.
Steve, we can't play in your "lightspeed" realm!!! I think you also have a weight advantage as well??
Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 AM

C32 AMG
Here's an update guys............. and a question.

As previously mentioned, I initially installed the Needswings CAI first before installing the pulley, heat exchanger and pump. I noticed the difference in the pickup and absolutely loved the change to this single mod.

The second phase was to install a heat exchanger and a Johnsom CM30 IC pump. I purchased both through EBay for $425. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Both were easy to install. I drained the entire coolant system and got approximately 1.75 gallons out. I put back in 3 gallons! Everything works fine. No leaks. Good to go.

Just installed the Eurocharged pulleys this past weekend. The car now has the 185 pulley on. Toughest part of this install was getting the belt back on which leads me to a question for all of you guys who know way more about this than I do. Mind you, i don't yet have the tune installed. The car is hesitating a bit at higher rpms during initial acceleration and seems to be a slip in the belt. Being how difficult it was to put a new belt back on I find it difficult to believe the belt is slipping. Can if be too tight? Can it actually be slipping? Does the tensioner set the tension automatically or do I need to adjust it. Can it be something with the fuel or timing that will get corrected once I install the tune?

You guys are always great and I learn a lot from you all. Any advice you can lend will be appreciated. I expect to get the tune installed sometime this week when Eurocharged is availiable. Thanks! BTW, no real improvement noticed since installing the CAI. Hoping that the tune will be the difference maker. Stay tuned................
Old 02-27-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
tensioner adjust itself, nothing you can wo with it really. Yes with the 185 on there it's pretty tough to get that belt on...more so when you strip your tensioner bolt (like mine is...I can still get belt on and off though)

A couple tips:

1.) Make sure you did not tourque your water pump pulley down too tight...its easy to do and has caused more water pumps to be replaced once it seizes than anything.

2.) Get needswings pulley save kit...it does reduce wear on pulleys, but it makes getting belt on and off much easier, IMO (does for me).

Can't say anyting about teh hesitation thoug
Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
about to hop on this intake in a few days myself. any comment on the sound difference when you get on her?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Ken311
about to hop on this intake in a few days myself. any comment on the sound difference when you get on her?
It sounds nice. There's a nice hum. Louder than any other intake I've used, but not as loud as the old Code 3 style intake. All in all, the intake has made me love driving the C32 again. Also, on top of that, I've gained some of the mpg back that the pulley stole.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 AM

05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
don't forget about the weak link in your system,,, the rear end,, i blew up 3 rear ends ,,now i have a wave trac posi unit, ( needswings carries them) no more problems..I had Rudy install a sl55 v8 into my crossfire and still have no problems with the rear. jim
Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by amx1397
don't forget about the weak link in your system,,, the rear end,, i blew up 3 rear ends ,,now i have a wave trac posi unit, ( needswings carries them) no more problems..I had Rudy install a sl55 v8 into my crossfire and still have no problems with the rear. jim
Needswings' listing is only for the SRT6 and the SLK32. For C32's they only list the Quaife.
Yet another awesome mod only available to those cars!!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
Needswings' listing is only for the SRT6 and the SLK32. For C32's they only list the Quaife.
Yet another awesome mod only available to those cars!!
Wavetrac and Quaife are very similar operationally. Both are tremendous upgrades from the stock open diff.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amx1397
This is an intake thread. Not a V8 in a crossfire thread. A driver must be super talented in order to mess up the rear end before blowing up the engine.
Rear axles is another story however. I had mine snaped once at the track. And I hear it happend to a couple of CLKs.
BTW, just received part 2 of the project from Rob at NeedsWings. I had the SC inlet modified for the 80mm TB and Rob had it sand blasted and coated inside and out along with the lower y pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Needswings C32 Cold Air Intake-2012-04-10_07-57-17_691.jpg  
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 AM

what is the flow diff between the needswings intake and the full 55 intake?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by N.M.M.
what is the flow diff between the needswings intake and the full 55 intake?
144 CFM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Will this intake make a noticeable difference compared to say just K&N inserts which isn't much HP at all. I can see it being very beneficial to heavily modified engines, but even with 185MM on mine the K&N seemed to flow just fine. Thinking though my custom intake made 20WHP compared to stock with stock filters LOL... I would say if you're planning on modifying the performance a lot through pulley and tune it's worth it. If not, maybe it isnt?

It just seems like overkill. I've seen what seems like smaller intakes on 800+HP vehicles. No doubt though the intake looks good and was obviously designed with a lot of effort. I do like it. The price is up there, but what isn't on an AMG Mercedes... Thinking doing a good custom camshaft with 185MM and supporting mods would make a monster out of this intake system.

Last edited by gt4awd; 04-24-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by gt4awd
Will this intake make a noticeable difference compared to say just K&N inserts which isn't much HP at all. I can see it being very beneficial to heavily modified engines, but even with 185MM on mine the K&N seemed to flow just fine. Thinking though my custom intake made 20WHP compared to stock with stock filters LOL... I would say if you're planning on modifying the performance a lot through pulley and tune it's worth it. If not, maybe it isnt?

It just seems like overkill. I've seen what seems like smaller intakes on 800+HP vehicles. No doubt though the intake looks good and was obviously designed with a lot of effort. I do like it. The price is up there, but what isn't on an AMG Mercedes... Thinking doing a good custom camshaft with 185MM and supporting mods would make a monster out of this intake system.
best way to utilize this type of intake would be a 82mm t/b and headers. massive air in free flowing exhaust out
Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
best way to utilize this type of intake would be a 82mm t/b and headers. massive air in free flowing exhaust out
Wouldn't you have to bend the fuel rail to run the 82mm TB? Or did you have it custom made?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Wouldn't you have to bend the fuel rail to run the 82mm TB? Or did you have it custom made?
the t/b housing has to be modified to allow the 82 to fit. bruce at ttm i fabbing a unit for me and a friend. maybe you could go by the shop so he can fab my killer chiller up !
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
the t/b housing has to be modified to allow the 82 to fit. bruce at ttm i fabbing a unit for me and a friend. maybe you could go by the shop so he can fab my killer chiller up !
Killer Chiller Now we're talking. Does Bruce need a reference M112K car for this?
On a side note, I'm close to waking up my Igor. The intake was already on. Added the looped fuel rail and an 80mm TB. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by gt4awd

I've owed you all an update and this great question has spurred me to provide my subjective input. You can read my earlier posts that initiated this post which reported how well I like the Needswings AI. This was all done prior to any mods. It might be of interest to note that had I not already purchased the 185 mm Pulley + tune along with a new and larger heat exchanger with a Johnson SC pump I would have been more than happy with ONLY this CAI addition.

Since making the other changes I note the following-
1) I believe a heat exchanger / IC pump upgrade is valid espcially since I have a '03 with originals.
2) The pulley ane tune upgrade is not as noticeable as I was led to believe. The CAI is without question noticiable. If I did improve at all with the pulley and tune it isn't with the same magnitude. I'm also having some unresolved issues from this Eurocharged tune. When aggressively accelerating I throw misfire codes. Eurocharged recommended I go back to OEM wires. My magnacores are relatively new and don't want to spend $200 on a "maybe".

Bottom line- I'm a bigger fan now after the tune with Rob and Needswings for their CAI. With all sincerity- this is the first thing everyone should get and quite possibly the only thing. I'd love to hear more from others who have this installed. I'd like confirmation on what I really believe is a good thing.

Peace
Old 04-30-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
This is an intake thread. Not a V8 in a crossfire thread. A driver must be super talented in order to mess up the rear end before blowing up the engine.
Rear axles is another story however. I had mine snaped once at the track. And I hear it happend to a couple of CLKs.
BTW, just received part 2 of the project from Rob at NeedsWings. I had the SC inlet modified for the 80mm TB and Rob had it sand blasted and coated inside and out along with the lower y pipe.
All due respect, but there have been people with stock HP levels that have sheared the pin in the differential... The engine is near-bulletproof, the transmission is rated for 700Nm+ but the rear diff has been blown in numerous SLKs/Crossfires with otherwise zero harm done to the engine... And the damage sadly has not been limited to those that drag race with DR's.

Anthony, a good friend of mine and Steve (320 dreamer) blew his diff at the track two weekends ago. Anthony is as good/talented a racer as I've ever met. Steve himself had to replace the rear in his SLK with the Wavetrac, luckily he caught his before it got nasty. I'm crossing my fingers every time I mat the throttle.

Cheers,
Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
You're telling me you noticed a larger difference in performance boost from the intake alone than you did from a 185 pulley?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kreuzfeuer
All due respect, but there have been people with stock HP levels that have sheared the pin in the differential... The engine is near-bulletproof, the transmission is rated for 700Nm+ but the rear diff has been blown in numerous SLKs/Crossfires with otherwise zero harm done to the engine... And the damage sadly has not been limited to those that drag race with DR's.

Anthony, a good friend of mine and Steve (320 dreamer) blew his diff at the track two weekends ago. Anthony is as good/talented a racer as I've ever met. Steve himself had to replace the rear in his SLK with the Wavetrac, luckily he caught his before it got nasty. I'm crossing my fingers every time I mat the throttle.

Cheers,
I appriciate the respect and will extend my respect to you and the rest of the SRT6 and SLK32 people, especially the crowd from TN. But I was referring to the 203.065 platfrom. Not the SRT or the SLK. 203.065 platfrom uses substantially different rear parts and therefore I don't see how the problems our shorter (and lighter) brothers are having has anything to do with adding more power to the 203.065 based cars. It's interesting but not relevant to this discussion.

Originally Posted by chris.bachman
You're telling me you noticed a larger difference in performance boost from the intake alone than you did from a 185 pulley?
This observation would surprise me too.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
I appriciate the respect and will extend my respect to you and the rest of the SRT6 and SLK32 people, especially the crowd from TN. But I was referring to the 203.065 platfrom. Not the SRT or the SLK. 203.065 platfrom uses substantially different rear parts and therefore I don't see how the problems our shorter (and lighter) brothers are having has anything to do with adding more power to the 203.065 based cars. It's interesting but not relevant to this discussion.
Gotcha, I was under the impression the identical motor and transmission would yield the same/similar differential. Lest I forget, this is Mercedes we're talking about.

I guess they never planned on us running consistent low 12's, ha.

Carry on

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Needswings C32 Cold Air Intake