C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Needswings C32 Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
Originally Posted by Ken311
considering the reputation Rob has with the SRT6 folks, I find your speculation highly unlikely. sure, anyone can fake dyno numbers but any company that does so long enough isn't going to remain in business very long let alone have happy customers praise their products on forums like these. it's much easier and more objective to compare with a dyno than a track test. on a dyno, you don't have to account for driver error.
I don't think Steve was implying Rob @ Needswings is fudging the numbers... Rob is a personal friend of mine and is a friend of Steve as well.

I think the point being presented was that everyone focuses on RWHP as the "be all, end all" in performance when in fact it's nothing more than a measuring stick. I've seen cars with lower dyno HP run much better at the track than those with impressive dyno figures. Cooling, driver mod, conditions all play into effect.

To confirm your original statement though, many members have noted the ~30rwhp increase with the Needswings intake... regardless of who was running the dyno. The NW intake works, plain and simple. So you're accurate in your assessments.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by Ken311
considering the reputation Rob has with the SRT6 folks, I find your speculation highly unlikely. sure, anyone can fake dyno numbers but any company that does so long enough isn't going to remain in business very long let alone have happy customers praise their products on forums like these. it's much easier and more objective to compare with a dyno than a track test. on a dyno, you don't have to account for driver error.

that's exactly what i'll be doing
I doubt that Steve was referring to NW Rob in his comments above. His point was to trust the track results ahead of the dyno results. But I'm sure he can speak for himself.
That said, here is the info from EC regarding thier SC Pulley where for the more or less the same money you can get close to 60HP gain (using EC dyno).
http://www.eurocharged.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=99
And get some dataloggin equipment.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, 911 SC
I would probably suggest doing cooling system first (separate cooling, heat exchanger, ic pump, maybe check if intercooler leaks or not and budget that for the future).

You would want to make sure that your car runs consistent times and minimize heatsoak. Upgraded cooling system is the best way to achieve that.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Originally Posted by Kreuzfeuer
I don't think Steve was implying Rob @ Needswings is fudging the numbers... Rob is a personal friend of mine and is a friend of Steve as well.

I think the point being presented was that everyone focuses on RWHP as the "be all, end all" in performance when in fact it's nothing more than a measuring stick. I've seen cars with lower dyno HP run much better at the track than those with impressive dyno figures. Cooling, driver mod, conditions all play into effect.

To confirm your original statement though, many members have noted the ~30rwhp increase with the Needswings intake... regardless of who was running the dyno. The NW intake works, plain and simple. So you're accurate in your assessments.
Originally Posted by Lenin
I doubt that Steve was referring to NW Rob in his comments above. His point was to trust the track results ahead of the dyno results. But I'm sure he can speak for himself.
That said, here is the info from EC regarding thier SC Pulley where for the more or less the same money you can get close to 60HP gain (using EC dyno).
http://www.eurocharged.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=99
And get some dataloggin equipment.
"any dyno can be made to show any gain you want" in response to my post of the dyno graph seemed to be implying just that, but maybe he mis-worded his statement... however i disagree in that dyno and track numbers should BOTH be considered measuring sticks. the dyno measures engine output ONLY, while the track measures how the driver can put the power to the ground. as you mentioned, driver error and many other variables (air temp, track temp, tires, LSD, weight, etc.) affect track results tremendously. this in and of itself does not make track time differences a viable comparison for power upgrades simply because it is nearly impossible to make it a controlled test.

the bottom line is, as Link pointed out, many of you are gravitating away from the point of this thread which was to compile information on the Needswings intake. all it has turned into is arguing about dyno vs track numbers and preaching of what mod to purchase first. I will probably upgrade the supercharger pulley in the future, but I chose to go with the intake first. and as you said, the intake works, so lets put that to rest.

Last edited by Ken311; 06-22-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 325 xi; '02 C32; '90 ZX; '08 CBR 6RR, '86 V45 Magna
If you got offended, I apologize. I interpreted your question as an interest to purchase this intake and install it on a stock car.
No worries. I see you're from North Jers. I'm from South, so it's a certainty that we but heads. I'm looking to upgrade, but am not convinced altering sc is the safest way to do so. For example, work took me from home Exit 4 NJTP up to 11 to GSP N to I-78 and back today. I fear being stuck on the side of the NJTP with pulley issues. That's why raw data on the CAI is of interest. I had trouble accepting the claims to be honest.

However, I certainly felt more than a few power surges today. It's gotta be a bum pump. So that'll have to be next.

Sorry to jack the thread.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by link146
No worries. I see you're from North Jers. I'm from South, so it's a certainty that we but heads. I'm looking to upgrade, but am not convinced altering sc is the safest way to do so. For example, work took me from home Exit 4 NJTP up to 11 to GSP N to I-78 and back today. I fear being stuck on the side of the NJTP with pulley issues. That's why raw data on the CAI is of interest. I had trouble accepting the claims to be honest.

However, I certainly felt more than a few power surges today. It's gotta be a bum pump. So that'll have to be next.

Sorry to jack the thread.
Don't get me wrong. I own the NW DCAI and love it. May have been Robs first customer from the C32 crowd. But I also added a 80mm TB and NW tweaked intake manis to go with it so that all that air can actually get somewhere. And have a tune to take advantage of all this.
BTW,the EC SC Pulley is pretty safe (compared to other mods) and easy to install.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R170 99SLK230 + SLK32
Lenin/Rob,
A Couple of Q's if I may.

Know'n what you guys know now about the 1371410125 80mm TB....
1) Lenin you mentioned you had to port your sc snout out.
The 1131400912 (ex SL55 >2006) I understood was already 80mm?
Does this mean you had a different part# and had to port it - maybe a pre 2006 SL55 SC snout?
I do like the idea of simply tacking some ears on the bottom and tapping in some new threads for the 80mm TB. Thus avoiding the adapter plate.

2) I know robert posted a dyno showing little if no improvement for the 80mm. After running the setup for a year or so now, would you conisder having the 80mm ported and refly'd to 84mm?
3) if you had your time over again would you recconsider the 82mm (either Audi or MB)
Old 06-20-2013, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Billy22Bob
Lenin/Rob,
A Couple of Q's if I may.

Know'n what you guys know now about the 1371410125 80mm TB....
1) Lenin you mentioned you had to port your sc snout out.
The 1131400912 (ex SL55 >2006) I understood was already 80mm?
Does this mean you had a different part# and had to port it - maybe a pre 2006 SL55 SC snout?
I do like the idea of simply tacking some ears on the bottom and tapping in some new threads for the 80mm TB. Thus avoiding the adapter plate.

I used the original SC snout that came with the C32. The snouts from the 55 platform are a bit longer due to the bypass valve and would not fit in the C32 without some firewall surgery. You car may be different.

2) I know robert posted a dyno showing little if no improvement for the 80mm. After running the setup for a year or so now, would you conisder having the 80mm ported and refly'd to 84mm?

I log my AFRs and they are normal. Therefore I would consider this in the future.

3) if you had your time over again would you recconsider the 82mm (either Audi or MB)

I would not consider 82mm due to the higher cost and possible issues that some people had with them. Not Audi for sure.
In general, other than breaking axles even faster, I did not see any improvement on the track so far. Just happy the car did not get any slower (which happens sometimes with some mods).
Old 03-28-2016, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Sorry, they are already on the car and it is too cold and too dark now to take them out. But here is some info about them. They are cone shaped. 5.5" Tall, 4" O.D. base tapers to 1.6". Made out of high flow catton fiber. Red in color.
Lenin - reviving a very old post here and question about the intake cone filters on Needswings DCAI...

i have this set up and love it, BUT the SPECTRE air filters are such bad quality and break apart at the base and also the plastic tip starts to separate after 6-9 months of use... (SEE ATTACHED PICS)

**Question - any feedback about other conal filters that work with the Needswings DCAI setup aside from the SPECTRE ones that comes with the system?

Not complaining at all about the Needswings DCAI which is worth every penny and Rob has always been exceptional with his support and service. He actually sent me a free replacement set of SPECTRE filters with an order of some other stuff i got from him.

But this is my 3rd set of filters (i ordered one set from SPECTRE directly) and each time the base of the cone is totally broken apart and the tip of the cone is cracked open, so not sure what stuff can get into the throttle body or supercharger when the filter is that degraded...????

any feedback would be apreciated

thx jv
Attached Thumbnails Needswings C32 Cold Air Intake-img_1566.jpg   Needswings C32 Cold Air Intake-img_1563.jpg   Needswings C32 Cold Air Intake-img_1561.jpg   Needswings C32 Cold Air Intake-img_1562.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
found these specs on the SPECTRE air filter for the Needwings intake so you can see the dimensions....looks like you need a 4" diameter cone filter around 5 inches long to work with the Needswings setup, so hopefully others make a similar filter to the SPECTRE which again for me has been very poor quality and breaking apart.....

http://www.spectreperformance.com/se...specifications
Part HPR9833 Product Specifications

Air Filter Large End Diameter4 in (102 mm) Air Filter ShapeRound Tapered Filter MaterialNon-woven Synthetic FlangesNone Height5.75 in (146 mm) Oil Amount10 ml (0 oz) Package Contents1 Air Filter Package Quantity1 Product Box Height8.5 in (216 mm) Product Box Length8.5 in (216 mm) Product Box Width8.5 in (216 mm) Product StyleSpectre Unique Universal Air Filter Weight0.8 lb (0.4 kg)
Old 03-28-2016, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi jvakos, I never had the kind of problems you are describing with my filters. And therefore never looked for a replacement for the Spectre filters. Can it be cold Chicago weather? Do you garage your car or is it kept outdoor overnight?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Lenin - appreciate the feedback. I am guessing its the chicago cold along with moisture/rain that degrades them in my situation. I do have it in our garage but its not a heated garage so that probably doesnt help, nor does living in downtown chicago with all the dust and grime.

I shot Rob an email asking if he had any other suggestions, plus sent K&N an email asking if they had a 4" diameter similar cone filter....will report back if i find anything better than the Spectre ones. Luckily they're fairly inexpensive so replacing them every 6 months is what i may have do do.

thx L

JV
Old 09-03-2016, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Magma Red C32 AMG, 2003 Silver C32 AMG
I'm proud to say that I'm the owner of this C32. Purchased a few months back and I managed to located the owners post.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by jvakos
Lenin - reviving a very old post here and question about the intake cone filters on Needswings DCAI...

i have this set up and love it, BUT the SPECTRE air filters are such bad quality and break apart at the base and also the plastic tip starts to separate after 6-9 months of use... (SEE ATTACHED PICS)

**Question - any feedback about other conal filters that work with the Needswings DCAI setup aside from the SPECTRE ones that comes with the system?

Not complaining at all about the Needswings DCAI which is worth every penny and Rob has always been exceptional with his support and service. He actually sent me a free replacement set of SPECTRE filters with an order of some other stuff i got from him.

But this is my 3rd set of filters (i ordered one set from SPECTRE directly) and each time the base of the cone is totally broken apart and the tip of the cone is cracked open, so not sure what stuff can get into the throttle body or supercharger when the filter is that degraded...????

any feedback would be apreciated

thx jv
So I never had the problem when I had the Needswings CAI and my C32, but I am having the same problem with the spectre filters in the intake on my E55. They must have switched manufacturers or something (much like the old green filters). Supposedly they are warranted by Spectre but good luck getting them to pay up. I've just had to check the filters regularly and keep extras on hand.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
I think KN sell same type of cone filter
Old 09-04-2016, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
So I never had the problem when I had the Needswings CAI and my C32, but I am having the same problem with the spectre filters in the intake on my E55. They must have switched manufacturers or something (much like the old green filters). Supposedly they are warranted by Spectre but good luck getting them to pay up. I've just had to check the filters regularly and keep extras on hand.
K&N owns Spectre, its another of their brands actually.

This gal at K&N in their customer service was very nice and shipped me a new set of replacement Spectre filters after i sent her my photos of the degraded ones and explained the problem.

Suzanne Olivas
Customer Service
800-858-3333
www.knfilters.com
SuzanneO@knfilters.com

I have an extra set on hand just to be safe, but for now the current filters are 1 year running and no issues. Perhaps there were some lots of filters that had quality issues or something.

I take them out every couple months and shake them out to keep them clean. i think the proper way to clean is to apply a oil or something but i've not done that.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jvakos
K&N owns Spectre, its another of their brands actually.

This gal at K&N in their customer service was very nice and shipped me a new set of replacement Spectre filters after i sent her my photos of the degraded ones and explained the problem.

Suzanne Olivas
Customer Service
800-858-3333
www.knfilters.com
SuzanneO@knfilters.com

I have an extra set on hand just to be safe, but for now the current filters are 1 year running and no issues. Perhaps there were some lots of filters that had quality issues or something.

I take them out every couple months and shake them out to keep them clean. i think the proper way to clean is to apply a oil or something but i've not done that.
Good find.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 AM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
A custom intake adds 35rwhp?!?! On a stock car?

For real?!?