C32 - IAT Investigation with GTECH results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
C32 - IAT Investigation with GTECH results

Hi All,

Further to my previous foray in updating my Y-Pipe. I am investigating my next mod being cooling the air charge (IAT).

I was surprised when I first jumped on this forum how little is discussed on this topic. When owning and racing Subaru STis and being a forum member, considerable discussion and effort was placed into modification of this area. Mind you the Sti had a great Air to Air Intercooler, bonnet scoop and waterspray system.

When I had a look at the C32 - Water-to-Air system I had a bit of a chuckle and then realising that it was coupled to the same system as the Engine cooling - good grief.

Please find attached the results of my investigation into IAT cooling. The runs were conducted on the same stretch of road and tried to keep most other variables constant. Being in an Australian Summer, Ive had to wait a couple of months for it to get cool enough to record the latest results.

Explanation of runs;
Main Run: Ambient 25 deg - IAT at start of run measured at 38 deg
Run1 : Ambient 18 deg - IAT at start of run measured at 30 deg
Run2: Ambient 15 deg - IAT at start of run unknown (Oops excessive wheelspin)
Run 3: Same night as Run2 - but controlled the wheelspin at start.

Notes:
- Cracked a 4.9 sec for 0-60!!!!
- Main run, Run 1 and Run 2 had virtually same reaction time, so good to compare
- 20 HP and 20 ftlbs Torque gain between Ambient at 25 and 15 deg

Conclusion: WOW!

So, I would like to know what peoples thoughts are and what's out there. I am thinking;
1. Closed loop system
2. Higher flow pump
3. Changing Intercooler radiator
4. Electric fans

Particularly with number item 4, has anyone experimented with these?

I'd like to know from members that have done these mods and what they would do differently or endorse what they have done.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails C32 - IAT Investigation with GTECH results-hp-tqvsrpm.jpg   C32 - IAT Investigation with GTECH results-hpvstime_secondgearzoom.jpg   C32 - IAT Investigation with GTECH results-run2_wheelspin.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Actually, if you do some searching on the forum, 1, 2, & 3 are all readily available.

Look up "Heat exchanger" "Johnson CM30"
and look here:

http://www.eurocharged.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&c ategory_id=45&Itemid=99

http://needswings.com/NeedsWings-Intercooler-Fluid-Isolation-Kit-c32-NWICisoC32.aspx
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Also, if you search more there has been a good amount of research and implementation into the c32 air charge cooling system... A higher flow pump is likely to damage the intercooler under the charger and cause leakage. Most people go with the johnson cm30 because it does flow slightly more, but moreover because it's reliable compared to stock unit. Separation can be DIY easily or needswings has the ISO kit. For heat exchanger a lot of people get the Eurocharged. I was first one to use froozenboost and since several others have as well. Less than half the price of the EC H/E and works great.

Last edited by gt4awd; 03-07-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Thanks to both your replies,...and have done my research on these/other forums.

I am trying to tap into people that have gone into unchartered waters and deal with issues that push the currently defined boundaries. Of particular interest is heat-sink at idle using fans and/or water spray units based on basic control mechanisms available in companies such as jaycar etc. i.e if IAT goes above a certain temperature then fans come on and/or a water spray shot.

P.S GT4AWD....Didn't know about Froozenboost...Good info.

Cheers,
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911
Another HE: It got this one (available on ebay same price etc): https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...g-special.html (and NW iso kit)
Tw2 did a nice write up on install etc.

Last edited by macbryanie; 03-07-2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: ebay
Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Here you go if this is any help.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...n-install.html
I have some comparison pictures. I installed the better heat exchanger, the better pump and the kit to isolate (close) the intercooler system from the engine coolant.