C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Pictures of shaved body-side molding aka impact strips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 SLK350
Pictures of shaved body-side molding aka impact strips?

As the title says, looking for pictures of a w203 with complete set of impact strips deleted/shaved/removed and filled

... not just pictures of a car with the euro "classic" molding/impact strips with no chrome strip, but someone who has had the entire body side molding shaved so that the doors, for instance, are completely smooth.

Thanks fellas
Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
I don't believe I've seen anyone do it. I bet it would cost at least $2k to have it done properly.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Would you include the bumper strip removal as well? The side impact strips continue the strips from the bumpers.

I would love to see a photoshopped pic of this idea.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Banned

2010 SLK350
91RS:
Long story short, it wouldn't cost me anything near that amount to have it done correctly.
kjb:
Yes, but would rather have the rear strips molded in rather than removed and then filled.
As for the front, assuming I can easily route the side-marker wiring up/out and accessible so that I can change bulbs as needed to avoid errors, I may very well have the fronts molded in place. Either that or may just leave the fronts with or w/o the chrome strip. I kind like the front impacts. I'll think about that one. I can always have the rest of the body taken care of first.

But yea - Id love to see it photoshopped too!!
Anyone good enough to do such a thing? Please?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To have it done correctly, sheet metal would need to be welded in place over the indentions for the side moldings, then body worked smooth, and painted of course. Then also use body sealer to seal the clip holes from the back side so water can't get inbetween the two panels. That's quite a bit of work. Filling it all in with body filler is NOT the correct way to do it.

I agree that I believe the car would look better without them, but I just want to make sure you're aware what you're in for.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Banned

2010 SLK350
Originally Posted by 91RS
To have it done correctly, sheet metal would need to be welded in place over the indentions for the side moldings, then body worked smooth, and painted of course. Then also use body sealer to seal the clip holes from the back side so water can't get inbetween the two panels. That's quite a bit of work. Filling it all in with body filler is NOT the correct way to do it.

I agree that I believe the car would look better without them, but I just want to make sure you're aware what you're in for.
I tried to say long story short ha ha, however... but since youve pushed the issue a little, Ill explain a little:
first of all, I agree with what youve said there will be as little filler used as possible.
second of all, been doing body off restos as a weekend warrior since I was 16 with my pops pulling chevelle's camaro's and el camino's off the chassis and up onto a rotisserie.
third, I'll be doing most of the prep work, however I'll leave the finishing and painting to a friend who does most of our paint work. not only does he not charge me for anything but materials as a family friend, but he also owes the family business a good chunk of change for work done on trade. I myself recently did about $2K of work on his wife, so... im trying to say it's a non-issue

You're totally in the right to provide a reality check. Too many people out there with lots of talk who don't know what they're getting in to when they have an idea. Fortunately that's not the case here.

PS: I may opt to leave the molding in place and glass over it. I dont mind the contours, it's just how the molding as is completely breaks the lines up. I trust my body man to give the directions, he's produced too much quality work for us over the years

Last edited by RedStripe; 03-26-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
When you find an easy/simple way to permanently disable the side markers, let me know Ive been meaning to do this for ever.

Also - Ive always wanted to see what a fully smoothed out w203 would look like. Pretty sure itd look sick though Make it happen. Sounds like you've got the right tools to make it so.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Man, that's just a lot of work for very little benefit....
Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RedStripe
I tried to say long story short ha ha, however... but since youve pushed the issue a little, Ill explain a little:
first of all, I agree with what youve said there will be as little filler used as possible.
second of all, been doing body off restos as a weekend warrior since I was 16 with my pops pulling chevelle's camaro's and el camino's off the chassis and up onto a rotisserie.
third, I'll be doing most of the prep work, however I'll leave the finishing and painting to a friend who does most of our paint work. not only does he not charge me for anything but materials as a family friend, but he also owes the family business a good chunk of change for work done on trade. I myself recently did about $2K of work on his wife, so... im trying to say it's a non-issue

You're totally in the right to provide a reality check. Too many people out there with lots of talk who don't know what they're getting in to when they have an idea. Fortunately that's not the case here.

PS: I may opt to leave the molding in place and glass over it. I dont mind the contours, it's just how the molding as is completely breaks the lines up. I trust my body man to give the directions, he's produced too much quality work for us over the years
Sounds good to me! There are also WAY to many body shops out there that have no clue either. I'll be curious to see the end result, keep us updated if you do it.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:09 PM

2003 C32 AMG
For best value vs looks I painted all the chrome trim to body colour and went with tinted front corner lenses. I am pleased with the result.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Banned

2010 SLK350
Viper:
I think you'd be surprised what a difference shaving the body molding off the entire car would make.

91RS:
No doubt. Any time I've taken a request to a local body shop (versus my guy back home), I always leave with a laughable experience after Ive given a quote and their "explanation" behind it. Oh, & will do! I'm ultimately having the entire thing repainted, so trying not get ahead of myself by not having my list of "custom" body work finished in my current color when I'd turn around and have it repainted.

C32:
Yes you're right, thats definitely a practical approach.
I personally wouldn't trust paint to be very durable over the chrome trim for a long period of time, but also am just looking to eliminate the look of the trim altogether.
You should consider getting yourself of European impact strips for the front bumper. That way you can eliminate that corner lens, which will look better than having the lens painted over IMO.

While we're on the subject, I'll also add that the European "Classic" impact strips can be purchased OEM, which contain no chrome trim whatsoever. That would be a viable option for someone looking to do something like that. I however, am looking to go all the way like I said.