C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

H&R wheel spacers causing vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
H&R wheel spacers causing vibration

Hey guys, got a set of 10mm hub centric H&R wheel spacers for the front and 5mm non hub centric for the back. All with proper H&R extended bolts. I'm getting slight vibration with the hub centric set and a lot more vibration with the non hub centric set. There is a lot of play with the non hub centric set which was expected as it won't center properly. I assume I have to fiddle around with it to get it to center dead on. The problem is, the holes for the bolts seem too big, so even torquing the bolts in proper criss cross pattern doesn't automatically center the spacer. It's off balance no matter what I do. Any suggestions? The hub centric spacer also seems to have very slight play. I can move it around about 1mm up and down. Doesn't seem right with a hub centric spacer. it should center 100%. I've had H&R spacers in the past mounted on other cars and I've never run into vibration issues. Pulling the spacers off, the vibration goes away, so it's definitely the spacers. I need the spacers for my H&R coilover install, otherwise I wouldn't bother with them. Is there a special trick to getting them to center? The hubcentric ring on the stock rotor hub in the rear is completely gone once the 5mm spacer is mounted. The wheel will literally sit flush on the hub with nothing to center the wheel, so it's very tricky.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 05-27-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Autotechnica
Hey guys, got a set of 10mm hub centric H&R wheel spacers for the front and 5mm non hub centric for the back. All with proper H&R extended bolts. I'm getting slight vibration with the hub centric set and a lot more vibration with the non hub centric set. There is a lot of play with the non hub centric set which was expected as it won't center properly. I assume I have to fiddle around with it to get it to center dead on. The problem is, the holes for the bolts seem too big, so even torquing the bolts in proper criss cross pattern doesn't automatically center the spacer. It's off balance no matter what I do. Any suggestions? The hub centric spacer also seems to have very slight play. I can move it around about 1mm up and down. Doesn't seem right with a hub centric spacer. it should center 100%. I've had H&R spacers in the past mounted on other cars and I've never run into vibration issues. Pulling the spacers off, the vibration goes away, so it's definitely the spacers. I need the spacers for my H&R coilover install, otherwise I wouldn't bother with them. Is there a special trick to getting them to center? The hubcentric ring on the stock rotor hub in the rear is completely gone once the 5mm spacer is mounted. The wheel will literally sit flush on the hub with nothing to center the wheel, so it's very tricky.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

Bry
I had the same problem with my 5mm H&Rs. I had the spacers drilled and pinned to the wheel with machine screws. 5 in total. Have in done by a machine shop only. Vibration gone.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 PM

2002 C32 AMG
awesome, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I might as well do it to the 10mm hub centric set I have as well. Are your 5mm's mounted to the front or rear? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
be careful using spacers. lug bolts are not designed to hold up the weight of the car!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by mikekuriger
be careful using spacers. lug bolts are not designed to hold up the weight of the car!
From what I understand, hub rings are used as centering devices only, and not used as a means of addition support for the wheels. The bolts infact are what supports the wheels. This is only what I've read, so I can't confirm this. But it seems to make sense. On the front wheels, there is a pretty long centering ring. However, on the rear there is barely any centering ring at all. I don't see how that tiny lip in the rear could help in supporting the rim at all. It makes more sense to me that it's simply used to center the wheel on the hub. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Autotechnica
awesome, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I might as well do it to the 10mm hub centric set I have as well. Are your 5mm's mounted to the front or rear? Thanks.
On the rear. I did the same on the front for my last set of wheels as well. The front hub on the C32 is slightly tapered so even a 5mm spacer will add to vibration.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM

c230 Kompressor
You should not have any play with a proper fitting hub centric wheel spacers. I just added 10mm front hub centric spacers for my c230k and the wheel slide on nice and snug with zero play. It use to have generic spacers and got strong vibration at 60mph. The hubcentric spacers did the trick.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 AM

ford
good info ,I don't see how that tiny lip in the rear could help in supporting the rim at all. thank you
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I am pretty certain the cars weight rests on the hub lip. The lug bolts (or studs/nuts in other applications) simply hold the wheel onto the wheel hubs (where the wheels rest on the hub lip). (Google shows: Many peoples have driven on their cars with missing bolts/nuts).

The rear hub lip is 8mm total. Placing a 5mm spacer on this will reduce the load bearing portion of our rear hubs down to 3mm on each side. Sounds sketchy to me :x
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
Originally Posted by TruTaing
The rear hub lip is 8mm total. Placing a 5mm spacer on this will reduce the load bearing portion of our rear hubs down to 3mm on each side. Sounds sketchy to me :x
I agree with this. I just changed out my rear brake pads and noticed how little the lip was when the wheels went back on... To be honest it seems even worse on my GFs MkV Jetta
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by C32maximus
On the rear. I did the same on the front for my last set of wheels as well. The front hub on the C32 is slightly tapered so even a 5mm spacer will add to vibration.
I wish I knew this piece of information when I had my C32. The vibration was driving me insane, I had HRE's on my car but I needed a 5MM spacer because the H&R Coilovers wouldn't clear the front.