C55 amg water oil mix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 amg
Question C55 amg water oil mix

Hi

Can anyone help me, I bought a C55 amg last year it was a fixer up, I got it from a family member who couldn't afford the car anymore, it was badly neglected, bt for me that's the cars I look for, I've fixed up the car to be as new, full respray, new alternator, full service..... And so on. Love the car.

Bt the other day I went to top up my water level, and found the oil was mixing with the water, I rushed the car into my workshop, and started checking it out, usually an oil and water mix is a sign of a blown head gasket, bt there is only oil in the water, and no water in the oil, the sump has no water in it, why wld it be mixing only in the water system???? Has anyone experienced this problem?

I have checked the radiator that maybe it didn't blow and mix gearbox oil with the water, that was fine, I'm thinking the oil cooler bt again that would mix both ways, I have the gaskets I'm planning on stripping the heads anyway and porting them and replacing gaskets! I jut find it strange that ist only mixing oil in the water!!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM

2006 C55 AMG
It wasn't on a C55, it was a Porsche 944, but i've seen an instance in the past of an oil cooler gasket causing oil in the water but not water in the oil.

I wish I could be more helpful. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Sure it's not trans fluid? (Just a hint as I didn't research to determine if trans cooler is separate or through radiator).
Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Where are you seeing the water? Radiator overflow tank? How do you know it is oil. Could it be stop leak or something else the previous owner added.

I would drain the coolant and temporarily replace with water and see if the oil (stuff) comes back.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:29 AM

C55 amg
I'm seeing the oil in the water res, its deffinatly oil, bt when I drained the oil pan there was no water in there, if it was a gasket water wld also be in the oil right??
And can't be something the previous owner added coz the car had no water when I took it, it was standing for 6months out in the elements.
Also checked the tran fluid its clean and still full. Funny thing is the check coolant warning has been on for a while even when the water is full, I figured it to be a faulty switch, then when the oil came up the check coolant warning was no longer displayed, maybe the previous owner poored oil into the water tank coz he is a f...ing idiot. And it jus took a few months of driving to push the oil up. Althought I doubt that theory

Ill drain the system clean it out, refill the oil refill the water drive it around a bit and see if the oil comes up again, if it does, then ill pressure test the oil cooler, if it aint the cooler then ill strip the engine!!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 AM

C55 amg
I have discovered that infact it is the engine oil cooler that is stuffed. I been trying to find a replacement, what do they retail for does anyone knw? The agent is charging R8000 which is abt $1000, which is freaking crazy I dnt think the guy is being honest or he miss understands what I want, coz I find the oil cooler on the net for in the USA for abt $117 more or less! I think the dealer is trying to rob me either that or south african dealers are ****s!!