those of you who had your 19" wheels separate from your tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
those of you who had your 19" wheels separate from your tires

where did you get 'em mounted and balanced? After the unfortunate situation (defective rim) I have one 19" wheel left that needs to be mounted and balanced. Do i need to look for a custom wheel shop to do it or should i trust my local MB dealer to install my 1 19" HRE wheel. Will he scratch it? Or are they perfectly capable of doing it? They are charging me 25 bucks to mount and balance the tire as well as install all 4 wheels on the car.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BE VERY CAREFUL!!! Most of the tire shops out there DO NOT have the right equipment to mount wheels that are 18" or bigger. I doubt your MB dealer will have the right equipment to do that too??!!

Better find some high end wheels shop to do the mounting for you.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally posted by Harris
BE VERY CAREFUL!!! Most of the tire shops out there DO NOT have the right equipment to mount wheels that are 18" or bigger. I doubt your MB dealer will have the right equipment to do that too??!!

Better find some high end wheels shop to do the mounting for you.
Really? I figured since some of the optional MB wheels are 19" in size, they'd have the equipment to mount and balance this wheels? I guess not. I stopped by the dealer and asked 'em as well if they can do it and their service manager said yeah.

i don't know of any high end wheels shop in my area. What if I ask TireRack ( since I bought the tires from them) for some of their certified installers in the area?
Old 07-16-2003, 01:55 AM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
just watch them do it all ..local tire shops around here slap on rubber boots for big rims to stop scratches
Old 07-16-2003, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
i used tire rack's certified locator and it showed a local goodyear store.. since it's a goodyear retailer, maybe they will have the equipment to do it?

http://www.goodyeardealers.com/WILLIAMSBURGVA/
Old 07-16-2003, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by AMG BRED
Really? I figured since some of the optional MB wheels are 19" in size, they'd have the equipment to mount and balance this wheels? I guess not. ....
Thats what I thought too, but no, those mounting machines at the dealership are capable of mounting 19" AMGs only. HRE's, Brabus, BBS and other high end wheels need to be mounted differently. If my memory serves right, I think its called Reverse Mounting. Call Luke and ask him if he can find any shops in your area that can do the job properly.

And since HRE sent you a defected wheel, is it possible for you to send the tire to HRE and ask THEM to mount it for you (at their expense obviously)???
Old 07-16-2003, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Thats what I thought too, but no, those mounting machines at the dealership are capable of mounting 19" AMGs only. HRE's, Brabus, BBS and other high end wheels need to be mounted differently. If my memory serves right, I think its called Reverse Mounting. Call Luke and ask him if he can find any shops in your area that can do the job properly.

And since HRE sent you a defected wheel, is it possible for you to send the tire to HRE and ask THEM to mount it for you (at their expense obviously)???
I don't know, hmm.. that's a good idea though, but that means waiting longer

But yeah, it's called Reverse Mounting ( the guy at the shop that installed the suspension told me that term as well ) So i just need to go to a store here and ask 'em if they would reverse mount 19" wheels..

pardon my ignorance, but who's Luke?
Old 07-16-2003, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know, hmm.. that's a good idea though, but that means waiting longer

But yeah, it's called Reverse Mounting ( the guy at the shop that installed the suspension told me that term as well ) So i just need to go to a store here and ask 'em if they would reverse mount 19" wheels..

pardon my ignorance, but who's Luke?
Well, if I were HRE, in order to make my customer COMPLETELY happy, I would take whatever it cost to make him happy. IMO, send your tire by air to them and ask them to send the wheel + tire back to you by air again is not too much to ask for. Because of their mistake, it has cost you a week (at least) to enjoy your new wheels.

Luke is Tirerack's web representative on this board and many other forums. Go to the Wheels forum and you'll see his name all over the place.

A shop that knows how to do the Reverse Mounting or has the right equipment to do so doesnt mean they will do a "good" job. I think you dont want someone to scratch up your $1500+ wheel and you have to send it to HRE for repair AGAIN (touch wood)??!! Thats why I think either sending the tire to HRE or calling Luke for advice will be a better choice than walking into a complete stranger.

Last edited by Harris; 07-16-2003 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Well, if I were HRE, in order to make my customer COMPLETELY happy, I would take whatever it cost to make him happy. IMO, send your tire by air to them and ask them to send the wheel + tire back to you by air again is not too much to ask for. Because of their mistake, it has cost you a week (at least) to enjoy your new wheels.

Luke is Tirerack's web representative on this board and many other forums. Go to the Wheels forum and you'll see his name all over the place.

A shop that knows how to do the Reverse Mounting or has the right equipment to do so doesnt mean they will do a "good" job. I think you dont want someone to scratch up your $1500+ wheel and you have to send it to HRE for repair AGAIN (touch wood)??!! Thats why I think either sending the tire to HRE or calling Luke for advice will be a better choice than walking into a complete stranger.
agreed. i will do that tomorrow. know the contact number for luke?

p.s. you have always given great advice.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

agreed. i will do that tomorrow. know the contact number for luke?

p.s. you have always given great advice.
You're very welcome, Mr. Patel. Its my pleasure. :p

But you're a bit lazy to check out Luke's number! Hahaha! 1-877-522-8473 ext. 362
Old 07-16-2003, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
You're very welcome, Mr. Patel. Its my pleasure. :p

But you're a bit lazy to check out Luke's number! Hahaha! 1-877-522-8473 ext. 362
it's 3 o' clock in the morning.. cut me some slack :p
Old 07-18-2003, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How did the tire story turn out?
Old 07-18-2003, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
How did the tire story turn out?
they had shipped the wheel out yesterday.. got it in today..

how does this store sound to you:

http://www.hotcarrss.com/vehicles/vehicles.htm

they are charging me 18 dollars to mount and balance the wheel, and 5 dollars extra to put it on the car.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

they had shipped the wheel out yesterday.. got it in today..

how does this store sound to you:

http://www.hotcarrss.com/vehicles/vehicles.htm

they are charging me 18 dollars to mount and balance the wheel, and 5 dollars extra to put it on the car.
What? $5 to put the wheel on the car???? Hahaha, thats very funny. Maybe you should just ask them to do the mounting and install it yourself. Personally, I dont like to spend this $5. Or maybe they should just say $23 including everything at the beginning.

If all the cars shown on their site are really done by them, I guess a 19" HRE wheel will be a piece of cake.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series

If all the cars shown on their site are really done by them, I guess a 19" HRE wheel will be a piece of cake.

Those 5.00 does sound kinda shady, huh? Aww well..

By your statement above.. you sound like you doubt them, why is that? the reason i am asking is i am basing my decision to go with them solely on their website, since the shop is 1 hour away, i haven't actually been their personally. Do they sound shady?