C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

another garbage thread by me: tire help please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
another garbage thread by me: tire help please.

Its for my lexus. All four corners share same size tires. One got a puncture and can't be fixed. And lucky me, the tire has been discontinued.

The other three are in great shape. What can I do? Do I have to replace all four? Can I have a different brand tire at that one corner? Replace just the rears to a different brand??

HELP PLEASE!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:40 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Yes you can have one tyre different. What do you use the car for? If it is a serious performance car then I recommend them all be the same. If it is a grocery getter then who cares, just go with the closest match in performance/grade/quality.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by pointman
Its for my lexus. All four corners share same size tires. One got a puncture and can't be fixed. And lucky me, the tire has been discontinued.

The other three are in great shape. What can I do? Do I have to replace all four? Can I have a different brand tire at that one corner? Replace just the rears to a different brand??

HELP PLEASE!
for daily drivers u can have different tires, if u do sprinted driving, you might want to have same tires...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I would change the tires in pairs if it was my car.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
make sure you have the same tires on one axel, different ones can cause viberations ect.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks guys! If I go with a different set on the rear axle anything specific that I should do/look out for, like:

Does it have to be same speed rating or can higher be OK.. does it have to be almost identical tread pattern...

etc.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
You really want mismatching tires on your lexus?

I would just replace all four, especially if they have seen their share of seasons. If the other 3 tires have like 90 percent tread left I could see why you would want to just change one. Still, I'd probably get what I could for the other 3, and buy a set of 4.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
You really want mismatching tires on your lexus?

I would just replace all four, especially if they have seen their share of seasons. If the other 3 tires have like 90 percent tread left I could see why you would want to just change one. Still, I'd probably get what I could for the other 3, and buy a set of 4.
Yeah, I am leaning that way. The other three are just so new.. less than 2k miles on them.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
What the h3ll. Its a lexi and this is a MB forum. Just go to Wallyworld and by a replacement. Its not that it'll ever match, be, drive, etc like a MB.

j/k

Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
What the h3ll. Its a lexi and this is a MB forum. Just go to Wallyworld and by a replacement. Its not that it'll ever match, be, drive, etc like a MB.

j/k

lol this cracked me up
Old 08-24-2012, 05:50 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Dont forget to replace the owner too.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FrankW
Dont forget to replace the owner too.
I am considering it. GTR please.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
N/A
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
I would change the tires in pairs if it was my car.
+1 if you have good rubber on the other 3 tires then I would just replace in pairs and save yourself some money. (thats what I do, mine are staggered size so it only makes sense being I can't do a normal tire rotation anyway, only a cross-over rotation., and my tires wear down in different intervals.)

Keep the 1 tire you replace that is still good as a spare, mount on an extra rim if you have one, never know when you might need it. (I know sometimes when I order my tires I have to wait 1-2 weeks to get it as they don't normally carry it in stock, so my spare full size tire comes in handy.)

Just make sure you are buying a similar spec tire or the car will not handle right, if you can stick with the same brand and specs would be best (if they no longer make that tire, they might have a newer similar tire to replace it with). If the tires are all the same size then it will be fine when they do a tire rotation the same type will be together when they rotate them so you wont have mis-matched wheels on the same axel.

If you buy your tires at Discount Tire or America's Tire in some places, they offer replacement certs for a little extra fee for things like this when you buy the tires so if they can't fix it they prorate and replace the tire for you. They also price match tirerack.com prices.

Last edited by ruben65; 08-26-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ruben65
+1 if you have good rubber on the other 3 tires then I would just replace in pairs and save yourself some money. (thats what I do, mine are staggered size so it only makes sense being I can't do a normal tire rotation anyway, only a cross-over rotation., and my tires wear down in different intervals.)

Keep the 1 tire you replace that is still good as a spare, mount on an extra rim if you have one, never know when you might need it. (I know sometimes when I order my tires I have to wait 1-2 weeks to get it as they don't normally carry it in stock, so my spare full size tire comes in handy.)

Just make sure you are buying a similar spec tire or the car will not handle right, if you can stick with the same brand and specs would be best (if they no longer make that tire, they might have a newer similar tire to replace it with). If the tires are all the same size then it will be fine when they do a tire rotation the same type will be together when they rotate them so you wont have mis-matched wheels on the same axel.

If you buy your tires at Discount Tire or America's Tire in some places, they offer replacement certs for a little extra fee for things like this when you buy the tires so if they can't fix it they prorate and replace the tire for you. They also price match tirerack.com prices.
Dude.. dude.. thank you. Perfect. Appreciate it!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
You MUST replace all tires or else there could be catastrophic failure.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG3.2
You MUST replace all tires or else there could be catastrophic failure.
You're helpful.