C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

I really want a llimited slip...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by macbryanie
I have emailed them.
Great! Let me know

Anyone else want a diff? Good price!! Also, he said if your in the Bay Area, they would be able to heavily discount the price to install. Something to think about.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
I have emailed them.
Okay, so I saw that there are two types of diffs for the C32. I guess now we would have to figure out which type each of our cars needs. I wonder if there is a way to do this by VIN #...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911
Quaife sort of brushed me off; a sales guy whom obviously didnt read the query completely.(have resent another mail to Quaife basically asking the same thing) They did however advise me to contact these guys in the UK: http://www.birdsauto.com/quaife/sear...01&mi=C+32+AMG

They have two kits for the 32. Have sent them an email aswell. Wait and see,

Model code Description Application Retail Price:
203 Quaife Merc. Limited Slip Diff. Kit C 32 AMG, Final Drive with Output Flange
203 Quaife Merc. Limited Slip Diff. Kit C 32 AMG, Final Drive with Plug-in driveshafts
Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
lol read above your post^^
Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 PM

Porsche 2004 911
I had to supply VIN on the enquiry form and they(Birds) look very established. VIN will determine kit.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Okay, great. They are a few hundred more though...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Porsche 2004 911
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
They are a few hundred more though...
Yeah I know...a bummer. But that was my follow up email with quaife (if it is a quaife kit or an independant kit?) if its quaife then it is available worldwide and price subject to negotiation and group sale price etc. Just depends what the "kit" means exactly as I am sure ASP or anyone else can replicate it.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Actually that's a good point. If Birds makes the kit then that would explain the price difference. I guess we will wait and see. Thanks for filling me in!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM

Porsche 2004 911
From Quaife:
Hello

If you speak to Kevin Birds Garage they will be able to confirm what diff
will be suitable for your vehicle as they have the software that if you give
them your chassis number they can confirm everything as we do not have
access to this information.

Quaife are pleased to announce that we will be exhibiting at the following:

Autosports International Show - Dates: 10, 11, 12 & 13, January 2013, Stand 8500.

Come and meet the team.

Kind regards

I guess Kevin Bird is the man for quaife (at least in the UK thats for sure). I thought that Quaife would have access to infomation regarding there own products ( I keep getting brushed off? Maybe its the Aussie vs England thing happening lol)

Last edited by macbryanie; 09-26-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
C32s came with two types of axles. Some early models had a bolt on axle and later models had a plug in axle. Even the plug in axles came in two flavors. Quaife wants Kevin's place to chack your VIN to be sure as to which type of axle you have. I would say that 2003 and later need a LSD for the plug in axle. 2002s need to be checked. This info is for the US market. I don't know what was being sold in Australia. (you guys even drive on the wrong side of the street ).
Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 AM

Porsche 2004 911
Originally Posted by Lenin
2002s need to be checked. I don't know what was being sold in Australia. (you guys even drive on the wrong side of the street ).
Awesome thank you ,
If I am wrong, apologies: I recall reading that your install was good initially and then a leak came about and you replaced the axles(?) Is it still happy days with the lsd? Any cons with the quaife? I cant find any...
Oh and that would be the "right"side of the road BTW
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awesome thank you ,
If I am wrong, apologies: I recall reading that your install was good initially and then a leak came about and you replaced the axles(?) Is it still happy days with the lsd? Any cons with the quaife? I cant find any...
Oh and that would be the "right"side of the road BTW
I had mine in since 2008. No problems since. During the original install one of the sides was leaking. I replaced the axles to the latest version from 2003 (the grooves that plug into the diff are a little longer) and everything was fine. I checked my original invoice from LET and there was no Quaife part number on it. So, I don't know what version i have. You can use EPC to check your vin number to see what axles you have. And BTW, like i said earlier, one of the best mods i have done.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:22 AM

Porsche 2004 911
I had mine in since 2008. No problems since. During the original install one of the sides was leaking. I replaced the axles to the latest version from 2003 (the grooves that plug into the diff are a little longer) and everything was fine. I checked my original invoice from LET and there was no Quaife part number on it. So, I don't know what version i have. You can use EPC to check your vin number to see what axles you have. And BTW, like i said earlier, one of the best mods i have done.
Gold
I understand now, and thank you for going to the trouble to find a 5yr old invoice.
I'm sold.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Gold
I understand now, and thank you for going to the trouble to find a 5yr old invoice.
I'm sold.
Yeah, greatly appreciated Lenin.

I, too, am now sold. Question is, where are my dollars going. Macbryanie, I'm still going to go the ASP route. I trust that they should be able to look up the VIN and determine the correct version. Michael Kuzni (forum member) and I have had good expriences with them thus far tuning wise, so I'm going to trust them on this one as well.

Let me know which route you decide to go. I mean if birds is willing to give us a better price for buying two diffs at the same time, that'd be great. Although, I don't think that would happen.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM

Porsche 2004 911
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
still going to go the ASP route
Yep, lead the way. Hopefully a couple more will jump on board.
Will still be posting results from Birds. More info the better n helps others searching later down the track etc. ASP havent replied email (no dramas) when you next speak with them could you please inquire on my behalf regarding the approx shipping cost International to AU. Cheers,

Last edited by macbryanie; 09-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Just called them and spoke with them. They said they will call me back regarding pricing. If we do go on to do the group buy, I'm going to open up a new thread. I asked about shipping and he said he was going to check and call me back. I'll make sure I ask again when they do call.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 PM

Porsche 2004 911
Attached are the results from quaife distributer in uk ;as Quaife referred directly to Birds I dont see any intellectual property disclosed or issues for the mods (?)
"Please find attached order document.
The difference is the application of shaft types. Some have plug-in shafts, some have bolted, and it's not relevant to model year...
Yours I believe has the bolted shafts, and therefore means that the Quaife is not a direct replacement. A modification needs to be made to the for the install (note page two of the attached guide).
Let me know if you have any questions"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Install Quaife.pdf (255.2 KB, 332 views)
File Type: pdf
Invoice.pdf (530.2 KB, 269 views)
Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Great info! Thank you!
Old 12-30-2014, 04:15 AM

Porsche 2004 911
Ok, To update - I finally have the quaife in with the Birds kit. As Lenin said a couple of years ago - one of the best mods for this car.

My Indie had to fix up a torn sub frame (refer to the cl55 and e55 sub frame bolt - weld and replace) and the opportunity to install the dusty ornament Quaife presented itself. An amazing C32 transformation and I wish that it was the first thing I did to the car to be honest I should have listened to the indie at start - quaife, rubber, headers, pulley, intake then cooling. I did it this all in the complete opposite order. Anyways live and learn.

A highly recommended mod. Corner exit speed and stand out acceleration is so so very pleasing. Today was wet in the morning and the car has a planted confidence and is simply fantastic, I had my play of course - the drift is predictable and controllable - I am not a trained or self proclaimed racer but it was great fun and I didn't end up in the ditch or have the scary Holy Sh*t moments. Thus - yet another happy quaife story.

Anyone in Melbourne AU needing the Quaife install on a Benz or BMW - the Indie that I know has the tools and expertise to do so. In accordance to the Mbworld Moderators i will not post his details however you are welcome to pm me for his details.
As always - Happydays. Just alot more so
Old 12-30-2014, 01:57 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Congratulations! Glad you got it in finally and I hope you bought a new paper weight. I am looking forward to getting one also. Still waiting to hear back from wavetrac.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, To update - I finally have the quaife in with the Birds kit. As Lenin said a couple of years ago - one of the best mods for this car.

My Indie had to fix up a torn sub frame (refer to the cl55 and e55 sub frame bolt - weld and replace) and the opportunity to install the dusty ornament Quaife presented itself. An amazing C32 transformation and I wish that it was the first thing I did to the car to be honest I should have listened to the indie at start - quaife, rubber, headers, pulley, intake then cooling. I did it this all in the complete opposite order. Anyways live and learn.

A highly recommended mod. Corner exit speed and stand out acceleration is so so very pleasing. Today was wet in the morning and the car has a planted confidence and is simply fantastic, I had my play of course - the drift is predictable and controllable - I am not a trained or self proclaimed racer but it was great fun and I didn't end up in the ditch or have the scary Holy Sh*t moments. Thus - yet another happy quaife story.

Anyone in Melbourne AU needing the Quaife install on a Benz or BMW - the Indie that I know has the tools and expertise to do so. In accordance to the Mbworld Moderators i will not post his details however you are welcome to pm me for his details.
As always - Happydays. Just alot more so
Glad you like it. These cars should have come with an LSD to begin with. You could retrofit an AMG LSD at the factory only and none were available outside of the factory. Just was not available for purchase. My new MB will have an LSD standard. Can't wait.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none... for now
AMG seems to stubbornly have their head up their rears when it comes to some topics, like they seriously have something to prove.

"Our customers don't want manuals, so we make 'state of the art' autos."
In the top three "Any way to..." topics

"We use an excellent braking system to negate the need for an LSD"
In the top three "Wish these cars had..." topics

The fact it was only an option even on the C63 blows my mind...
Old 12-31-2014, 01:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
Originally Posted by ///AchMeinGott
AMG seems to stubbornly have their head up their rears when it comes to some topics, like they seriously have something to prove.

"Our customers don't want manuals, so we make 'state of the art' autos."
In the top three "Any way to..." topics

"We use an excellent braking system to negate the need for an LSD"
In the top three "Wish these cars had..." topics

The fact it was only an option even on the C63 blows my mind...

there used to be a company out there (www.phantomgrip.com) that used to install a "spring block" mechanism into the diff which produced 60% lockup but they seem to be awol at the moment. Does anyone know of any less expensive options than quaiffe/wavetrac?

I was checking ebay and found a product very close to the phantomgrip unit but it's "generic" and doesn't come installed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-LIMITED-SLIP-DIFF-DIFFERENTIAL-CONVERSION-KIT-PLATE-2-WAY-LSD-GEAR-JDM-/111452416037?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f314e825&vxp=mtr

Last edited by C3Duece; 12-31-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:20 AM

Porsche 2004 911
[QUOTE=tw2;6278321]Congratulations! Glad you got it in finally and I hope you bought a new paper weight. I am looking forward to getting one also. Still waiting to hear back from wavetrac.[/QUO
Long time mate,
Wow - I had a look at Quiafe for your 55 and the prices are just as bad as the 32. Interesting to see what Wavetrac come back with. LSD is definitely something that shouldn't shelved, but the pay to play aspect of it really hits home with this one. But its worth it.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:49 AM

Porsche 2004 911
Glad you like it. These cars should have come with an LSD to begin with. You could retrofit an AMG LSD at the factory only and none were available outside of the factory. Just was not available for purchase. My new MB will have an LSD standard. Can't wait.
Absolutely,
A new MB? Awesome Which series have lsd standard on MB USA delivered? Only black series here (AU) and performance pack (eg -c63 507 edition) have LSDs to my knowledge.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: I really want a llimited slip...