C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Pretty Depressed: My Beloved C32 Totaled Yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by speed7
So one thing that gets me... I just moved from San Francisco to Boston.. had to go thought the whole song and dance to get my car registered here. It wasn't complicated but there are a few more steps than in California.

So what I'm getting at is I had to have proof of insurance to register the car. Then I actually switched from my state farm insurance to my wife's geico insurance. No problem... they had their forms they needed too.. very over the top compared to California. Well in the whole process geico didn't send MASDot the form telling them I'm insured. State Farm sent in their form saying I'm no longer covered.

So what happened was I got a serious nasty gram of a letter from MASDot saying my registration was going to be pulled in less than a week and I'll be up **** creek if I don't get this fixed asap.

A quick call to geico fixed it but it was menacing.. I don't see how you can NOT have insurance in this state!! I'm really sorry about this but someone not having insurance is ridiculous.. especially here in MA.
You're assuming both drivers live in MA which may not be the case.

But I agree, MA is a joke when it comes to insurance. I say this because they are extremely restrictive regarding how policies are written and who can insure in this state. Net result is we pay way too much for car insurance. Kind of like our healthcare system in this state, another ridiculously over priced situation. Sorry for the OT.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63 Estate | 09 & 10 Rx8 R3
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You're assuming both drivers live in MA which may not be the case.

But I agree, MA is a joke when it comes to insurance. I say this because they are extremely restrictive regarding how policies are written and who can insure in this state. Net result is we pay way too much for car insurance. Kind of like our healthcare system in this state, another ridiculously over priced situation. Sorry for the OT.
Very interesting.. I thought because of the roads, weather, and drivers were the case..

PS Mass-holes are some of the worst drivers I've ever seen.. and nobody seems to know how to park.. and in jim's case stop. =) Sorry too soon?

I used to never use my horn but now I have no problem with it... and the ones who deserve it get an extra long honk.

PS Jim.. if you ever want help looking at the cars or see one in my area you want checked out. Let me know. I've worked on my car and driven it enough to find all the flaws in other cars pretty quick.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:03 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Very interesting.. I thought because of the roads, weather, and drivers were the case..

PS Mass-holes are some of the worst drivers I've ever seen.. and nobody seems to know how to park.. and in jim's case stop. =) Sorry too soon?

I used to never use my horn but now I have no problem with it... and the ones who deserve it get an extra long honk.

PS Jim.. if you ever want help looking at the cars or see one in my area you want checked out. Let me know. I've worked on my car and driven it enough to find all the flaws in other cars pretty quick.
I have lived in several parts of the country including SoCal I agree, MA drivers are bad. VA/MD drivers are actually worse but that's another story. In MA they're too busy texting/using their phones and could care less about the act of driving. Self driven cars can't come soon enough for this state and the people would love it from what I can see. The funny thing is the drives in the S.Shore are pretty good but they drive 5 mph BELOW the limit which kills me.

By the way, why did you leave CA. I'm doing everything I can to get back there, I miss it!

+1 on the comment for looking at another C32 in the area, this is my third MB and they are fairly easy to inspect and I'm extremely ****. Let us know if we can help.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM

I have lived in several parts of the country including SoCal I agree, MA drivers are bad. VA/MD drivers are actually worse but that's another story. In MA they're too busy texting/using their phones and could care less about the act of driving. Self driven cars can't come soon enough for this state and the people would love it from what I can see. The funny thing is the drives in the S.Shore are pretty good but they drive 5 mph BELOW the limit which kills me.

By the way, why did you leave CA. I'm doing everything I can to get back there, I miss it!
Heh funny.. I was in so-cal too. San Diego to be exact for 12 years. Then I moved back to the bay area for work. Spent 2 years up there and then the wife got a job in Boston. So thats why we moved.

I kept my job just working remote, which is a pain in the but, but now we live in boston. Found a place with a garage to store the C55 for the winter and called it good.

Yeah going back would be nice but the cost of living around here is better for housing. AND there are a few race-tracks in the area.. I'm happy about that and don't miss the 12 hour tows from San Diego to Buttonwillow.. or even all the way up to Thunderhill. At least I have a few tracks within 3 hours of here. Just need to get the track car project started back up again.

Oh and thats why you MA drivers don't freak me out. Wife was a bit overwhelmed in the beginning.. I just drive my C55 like I'm on the track.. door to door ( thx 24 hours of lemons) and I freak you guys out. =)
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 AM

CLS55
So one thing that gets me... I just moved from San Francisco to Boston.. had to go thought the whole song and dance to get my car registered here. It wasn't complicated but there are a few more steps than in California.

So what I'm getting at is I had to have proof of insurance to register the car. Then I actually switched from my state farm insurance to my wife's geico insurance. No problem... they had their forms they needed too.. very over the top compared to California. Well in the whole process geico didn't send MASDot the form telling them I'm insured. State Farm sent in their form saying I'm no longer covered.

So what happened was I got a serious nasty gram of a letter from MASDot saying my registration was going to be pulled in less than a week and I'll be up **** creek if I don't get this fixed asap.

A quick call to geico fixed it but it was menacing.. I don't see how you can NOT have insurance in this state!! I'm really sorry about this but someone not having insurance is ridiculous.. especially here in MA.
Apparently my state, Rhode Island, doesn't care if you drop your insurance after you register your car, that's the case with the guy that hit me, and I've been told by the RI state police that they "don't have enough time" to enforce laws like this.

So in the end, (well actually I'm nowhere near the end of this yet) I have to go through my insurance (Geico) and use my uninsured motorist coverage. I REALLY hope they don't lowball me on the value of the car. I don't know how they will calculate a "market value" price of the car since there are no other similar ones on the market.

Thanks for the offer. As I said in my first post, I'm still not sure if I'm going to buy the LR3 I was looking at a second car. Right now I can't find any C32's or C55's near me for sale. It's pretty sad

I feel like a part of me will be missing if I don't have an AMG.

speed7, what part of Mass are you in? I'm in RI, about 45 minutes from Boston. Would you ever be interested in meeting up and showing me your C55? I've never even had a chance to see one in person, I'm only assuming I'd like on based on how much I loved my c32.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jlm32
Apparently my state, Rhode Island, doesn't care if you drop your insurance after you register your car, that's the case with the guy that hit me, and I've been told by the RI state police that they "don't have enough time" to enforce laws like this.

So in the end, (well actually I'm nowhere near the end of this yet) I have to go through my insurance (Geico) and use my uninsured motorist coverage. I REALLY hope they don't lowball me on the value of the car. I don't know how they will calculate a "market value" price of the car since there are no other similar ones on the market.

Thanks for the offer. As I said in my first post, I'm still not sure if I'm going to buy the LR3 I was looking at a second car. Right now I can't find any C32's or C55's near me for sale. It's pretty sad

I feel like a part of me will be missing if I don't have an AMG.

speed7, what part of Mass are you in? I'm in RI, about 45 minutes from Boston. Would you ever be interested in meeting up and showing me your C55? I've never even had a chance to see one in person, I'm only assuming I'd like on based on how much I loved my c32.
Here is a C32 that looks nice http://www.herbchamberscadillacofwar...67c47ccbb8.htm

Might be worth a look in person since it's not too far from you.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 AM

CLS55
Here is a C32 that looks nice http://www.herbchamberscadillacofwar...67c47ccbb8.htm

Might be worth a look in person since it's not too far from you.
Thanks. I did see that one online, I think it's a tad overpriced.

And also, I feel like I shouldn't buy another c32 because it would never be the same as mine. Mine was in PERFECT condition, I had a $3,000 custom sound and navigation system installed, radar dector, custom made dash surround for the GPS Nav, I had rear sunshades installed, window tint, and I had the vehicle mechanically up to "dealer" standards.

I'm just feeling so lost lately. I'm going to have to pay to have my custom sound / Nav system removed by the shop that installed it, because I know insurance would never pay more for the car even if the system is installed. I just don't know what to do
Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 PM

Let me know how gieco treats you. I just switched to gieco from state farm reluctantly after moving from California to Massachusetts.

I'm 5 minutes outside of Boston. Of coarse we can meet up and look at my car. Its not pristine, and since I moved to MA its not getting the same treatment as it did in CA. I haven't found the right places to clean the car well nor do I really have the space where we live.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Glad to hear you're okay, but watch out w/ the LR3s as it has had a very well chronicled issue w/ the head gasket from those years (2005-2008). My buddy had purchased one new and had to sell it because the gasket started to leak - at the time, replacing that gasket would have cost more than the value of his car only after a few years...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 AM

E55 AMG, Hummer H2
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Winter is EXACTLY when to buy a rear drive luxury car. More supply than demand = best deal.
+1
Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by CFiftyFive
+1
Agreed. Except what do I do when we get a foot of snow? :P
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 AM

C55
know how u feel, just got ran off the road by some jackass. hope either the damage is cosmetic but if there is frame then i want it totalled. :/
Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 AM

See this one yet?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=330824100492
Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Why not buy the car back from the insurance co for the salvage value and part it out? I know I could use a new shift knob

If you had all those upgrades I'm sure the parts and pieces could be moved over to a new c32.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM

2014 AMG E63S, 2006 XK8 victory edition convertible, 2006 supercharged trailblazer SS, 2001 E430
While I agree with taking your time to find another car, we all know the best time to buy a high horse power, rear wheel drive car is in the winter. They become more of a commodity and prices don't budge as much the closer you get to summer..... Just food for thought.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL600
Agreed. Except what do I do when we get a foot of snow? :P
C300 4Matic might be calling your name
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
CPO ML63. AMG and 4Matic if i had to do it all over again. just my $.02
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Capn
C300 4Matic might be calling your name
Booo.

Don't listen to him. He's from the w204 crowd, what do they know about styling and sophistication. They are in the "now" crowd.. Blinded by CPO's and warranties. =)
Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM

CLS55
Hey everyone. I ended up getting an AMG replacement, a 2006 CLS55.

I do have some parts available from my C32. I have the optional rear window (side) shades and a custom made dash kit for an aftermarket Pioneer system. Anyone interested?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 AM

PICS or it didn't happen!!!

ps awesome car.. love the CLS was lucky enough to drive the CLS63. Amazing cars.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM

CLS55
PICS or it didn't happen!!!

ps awesome car.. love the CLS was lucky enough to drive the CLS63. Amazing cars.
How about a picture of my empty wallet from filling it up with gas, will that work?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Congrats, nice ride, I dig the CLS body. Even better with a big supercharged lump under the hood...
Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 PM

Very nice. Hey so I have to ask since you have geico.. how did they do? And very nice car. Quite a bit of an "upgrade" from the C32.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:08 PM

Oh and welcome to the V8 club.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
Oh and welcome to the V8 club.
yessum

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pretty Depressed: My Beloved C32 Totaled Yesterday