C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Pretty Depressed: My Beloved C32 Totaled Yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Pretty Depressed: My Beloved C32 Totaled Yesterday

All because some F**ing idiot wasn't paying attention and slammed into me extremely hard. I'm feeling sad, mad, and so upset.

Now I'm left with no car and have no idea what to do. I had this C32 for over a year and LOVED every single minute I had with it. It brought so much joy to my life, all to be taken away so abruptly.

But I'd really like some advise from you guys...

Before this happened yesterday I was working on buying a 2005 LR3 to use during the snowy winter months and had planned on storing the C32. However, now that my C32 is no more I'm second guessing my purchased of the LR3 since I don't like the idea of that being my primary car...it's certainly no AMG and is extremely slow.

What should I do?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 AM

C
Sorry to hear.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63 Estate | 09 & 10 Rx8 R3
Get the 2005 LR3 anyways.. then you can take your time getting another C32. Or even a C55 if you want the V8 instead of the supercharged V6.

Either way time will be on your side and winter is approaching. Best not to rush into it since its been just one day.

Really sorry about your loss btw... I don't ever like to see cars go out like this.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
Originally Posted by speed7
Get the 2005 LR3 anyways.. then you can take your time getting another C32. Or even a C55 if you want the V8 instead of the supercharged V6.

Either way time will be on your side and winter is approaching. Best not to rush into it since its been just one day.

Really sorry about your loss btw... I don't ever like to see cars go out like this.
I agree, get the winter car. Wait for spring/summer and buy a c32 or c55. It sucks to see your c32 totaled
Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Sorry to hear about your car. Good news is you are okay.

Instead of the LR3, buy my low mile ML55. (Only 43k miles) Already has a winter wheel set with blizzaks. Hard pressed to find anything better in the snow.

This way you still have an AMG, and have something awesome in the snow.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL600
Sorry to hear about the car. Why not see if insurance company can declare it a total loss (hard to tell from the damage in your picture) and shop around for another C32?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Capn
Sorry to hear about the car. Why not see if insurance company can declare it a total loss (hard to tell from the damage in your picture) and shop around for another C32?
I agree with this. Sorry for your loss. At least your okay which is the important thing.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 AM

CLS55
I'm really not sure. As much as I'd love another C32, I know I'd never find one in the condition I kept mine, and also now is the wrong season for me to buy since snow is on the way.

I guess I should just get an SUV for the next few months then shop around.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Yep, sorry to hear about your car. What a pain.

We have an '06 LR3 V8 HSE. On the advice of my Land Rover mechanic buddy, we got the V8 as opposed to the V6. The V8 feels anemic enough already (it's only 300hp/300 ft lbs - the newer LR4s have 385hp or so, but cost quite a bit more right now), and there is not much benefit in fuel economy with the V6. We've put about 35,000 km on it since we picked it up 2.5 years ago, we love it. My wife drives it most of the time, but I drive it on weekends when we take the family out. Lots of storage space. Our's has been generally reliable. Not very good on gas, but coming from an AMG it's not too difficult a pill to swallow.

Brakes were expensive, but not too difficult if you can wrench on your own. The air suspension's air compressor acted up and we replaced that too, I think it was about $4-500. I had an issue with a 'reduced engine power' warning and then stalling after highway driving - seemed to be cured with a thorough cleaning of the throttle body, but I did buy a new MAF for it just in case (though I haven't even replaced that yet, the TB cleaning seemed to sort it out). The other annoying thing that happened was a hairline crack in the washer fluid reservoir. The part cost $100 locally, but replacing it meant removing the bumper cover, rebar and front fender flares. I recall the washer fluid reservoir in my old Saab being held onto the car by one bolt and accessible just by opening the hood!

We also did some preventative maintenance recommended by my mechanic friend. The main wiring harnesses run along the sills and aren't protected very well from moisture. We removed the sill covers and tidied the suspect connections with expensive butt connectors (with heat activated goo inside them) and then wrapped the harnesses plastic to help shield them from the elements. They could also be further protected by the use of more expensive Weathertech mats, next on the list of things to get!

I hope you don't mind the unsolicited comments about the LR3, but I think it's a fantastic vehicle, great in winter time with snow tires, great for families. My wife wants a full size Rangie though, and at some point we'll probably get one of those for her. At that point, I may keep the LR3 for my winter driving and replace the air suspension (if/when it fails) with a coil spring conversion kit from roverparts.com
Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Yep, sorry to hear about your car. What a pain.

We have an '06 LR3 V8 HSE. On the advice of my Land Rover mechanic buddy, we got the V8 as opposed to the V6. The V8 feels anemic enough already (it's only 300hp/300 ft lbs - the newer LR4s have 385hp or so, but cost quite a bit more right now), and there is not much benefit in fuel economy with the V6. We've put about 35,000 km on it since we picked it up 2.5 years ago, we love it. My wife drives it most of the time, but I drive it on weekends when we take the family out. Lots of storage space. Our's has been generally reliable. Not very good on gas, but coming from an AMG it's not too difficult a pill to swallow.

Brakes were expensive, but not too difficult if you can wrench on your own. The air suspension's air compressor acted up and we replaced that too, I think it was about $4-500. I had an issue with a 'reduced engine power' warning and then stalling after highway driving - seemed to be cured with a thorough cleaning of the throttle body, but I did buy a new MAF for it just in case (though I haven't even replaced that yet, the TB cleaning seemed to sort it out). The other annoying thing that happened was a hairline crack in the washer fluid reservoir. The part cost $100 locally, but replacing it meant removing the bumper cover, rebar and front fender flares. I recall the washer fluid reservoir in my old Saab being held onto the car by one bolt and accessible just by opening the hood!

We also did some preventative maintenance recommended by my mechanic friend. The main wiring harnesses run along the sills and aren't protected very well from moisture. We removed the sill covers and tidied the suspect connections with expensive butt connectors (with heat activated goo inside them) and then wrapped the harnesses plastic to help shield them from the elements. They could also be further protected by the use of more expensive Weathertech mats, next on the list of things to get!

I hope you don't mind the unsolicited comments about the LR3, but I think it's a fantastic vehicle, great in winter time with snow tires, great for families. My wife wants a full size Rangie though, and at some point we'll probably get one of those for her. At that point, I may keep the LR3 for my winter driving and replace the air suspension (if/when it fails) with a coil spring conversion kit from roverparts.com
Thanks I definitely appreciate the advice! I'm looking at an 05 LR3 SE.

But I feel like I have to own an AMG....the LR3 was going to be a perfect secondary car, I'm not sure how I feel about it as a primary.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM

2002 c32 amg, 2007 srx (wife), 1995 tahoe (guinea pig)
Sorry to hear that JLM and glad you're ok. I've been thinking about selling my 02 C32 to pay off some debt. I don't really want to get rid of it but the lure of $0 balances is tough to resist. I'd only ask KBB value for a fellow C32 fan. Let me know if you're interested and I can give you more details.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I know whatcha mean about AMG ownership. Where I live, with basically all straight and poorly surfaced roads, an AMG with great straight line performance and lots of luxury and comfort is basically the perfect performance car. I look at my C55 as just tiding me over until I can get into a C63.

So think of the LR3 that way - just enough to tide you over for now. I wouldn't be able to live with just the LR3 as my only vehicle. Hell, I have three cars just for my own use anyway, which is a bit excessive. But I definitely don't think you will regret an LR3. They are a bit easier to find than a nice AMG, so I'd suggest grabbing one now before winter really sets in, enjoy it for what it is, and take your time finding the right AMG. Best of luck with your search.

Oh, I forgot to add - heated windshields are expensive, I think we dropped the better part of $1000 to replace ours. Also, the parking sensor module seems to be acting up, it only works intermittently. I do wonder if installing HIDs into the foglights (now since removed) had something to do with it. Whenever the HID fogs were on, the parking sensors went haywire. But I have since found out the parking module is on the b-pillar, inside the car, so I dunno. Make sure when you test drive any prospective car that you try out every single function - power seats, Bluetooth, seat heaters, etc etc.

Originally Posted by jlm32
Thanks I definitely appreciate the advice! I'm looking at an 05 LR3 SE.

But I feel like I have to own an AMG....the LR3 was going to be a perfect secondary car, I'm not sure how I feel about it as a primary.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 11-14-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Glad you are OK. Cars can be replaced. You will find another car.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:33 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Sorry to hear about your loss. They hit you pretty damn hard, but at least you're okay (what ultimately counts). I'd personally get back into another W203. Good luck!

-Jorge
Old 11-14-2012, 06:42 PM

2002 C32 AMG
As others noted, most important is that you walked away without injury. The car was sacrificed unfortunately.

But from what I can see, there are plenty of W203 AMG's available on the market and you should easily be able to find another in similar condition or maybe upgrade to a C63 if finances allow.

I just picked up a 2002 C32 two weeks ago and with exception to some rock chips on the bumper the car looks new. It needed some detailing but that is it. Ironically I bought the C32 for daily driver use including winters, my summer fun car is a Boxster Spyder. My wife has the SUV if we need something for really heavy snow.

Good luck with whatever you decide and hopefully things will work out in your favor.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 11-14-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 PM

(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi

What should I do?
buy my wagon????

/glad you're OK man.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:17 AM

CLS55
This is actually the second C32 I've owned, and the second time I've been rear-ended by someone and it was totaled. I have the worst luck with cars, ever.

Also just found out yesterday the person that hit me has no insurance!

And now as I've said I'm stuck in the position of not knowing what to do. I want another AMG, I'm thinking a C55 or maybe even an E55, but now is an awful time for me to buy because I'm in New England and snow is on the way...which is why I was in the market for the LR3 (as a second car). If I go through with the LR3 purchase, when Spring comes I guess I'd look for an AMG, but if I trade in the LR3 that's a huge waste because I know I won't get anything near what I will pay for it.

Seems like a lose/lose situation to me.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 AM

2002 C32 AMG
This is actually the second C32 I've owned, and the second time I've been rear-ended by someone and it was totaled. I have the worst luck with cars, ever.

Also just found out yesterday the person that hit me has no insurance!

And now as I've said I'm stuck in the position of not knowing what to do. I want another AMG, I'm thinking a C55 or maybe even an E55, but now is an awful time for me to buy because I'm in New England and snow is on the way...which is why I was in the market for the LR3 (as a second car). If I go through with the LR3 purchase, when Spring comes I guess I'd look for an AMG, but if I trade in the LR3 that's a huge waste because I know I won't get anything near what I will pay for it.

Seems like a lose/lose situation to me.
Bummer on the other drivers lack of insurance. I would let your insurance company handle it and let them chase the other driver for the replacement cost. Not your problem really.

As far as your decision I am a little confused with your thinking. You had a C32 and were going to buy a LR3 for winter use which means you would have had two cars. I assume you were planning on keeping both cars after the winter?

If that's the case just buy the LR3 and when spring comes buy an AMG and you'll be back in the same place you would have been before the accident.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Bummer on the other drivers lack of insurance. I would let your insurance company handle it and let them chase the other driver for the replacement cost. Not your problem really.

As far as your decision I am a little confused with your thinking. You had a C32 and were going to buy a LR3 for winter use which means you would have had two cars. I assume you were planning on keeping both cars after the winter?

If that's the case just buy the LR3 and when spring comes buy an AMG and you'll be back in the same place you would have been before the accident.
Yeah, planned on having 2 cars.

I like the LR3, but I "liked it" knowing that I had a C32 at home sitting in the garage, if that makes sense.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Yeah, planned on having 2 cars.

I like the LR3, but I "liked it" knowing that I had a C32 at home sitting in the garage, if that makes sense.
So buy the AMG now and be done with it. Or be patient and buy a better AMG in the spring with the money you saved and the continued drop in prices on these cars.

I drove a Honda CRV (which I hated) for two years while I pulled the necessary funds together to buy a Porsche. Mind you the Porsche I bought wasn't exactly what I wanted but within the last five years I changed that and now have my dream Porsche. So be patient, 6 months is not a long time and you really wouldn't have been driving the car anyways. Focus on the LR3 for now and finding the right AMG in the spring.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
SO sorry to hear this. Words can't appease the feeling- some of us have been there. Sucks so much...
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Multiple
Winter is EXACTLY when to buy a rear drive luxury car. More supply than demand = best deal.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 PM

I always thought it was when gas prices were the highest. But yeah.. keep your eye on autotrader and see how many are around.

A C36 can go for a good amount of money just due to supply and demand. There was a C55 up for sale in the Boston area not too long ago. I think they wanted 19 for it... but I don't think it sold. I'll keep my eyes open. Also I may be selling mine soon and getting a CLK63. I'm still on the fence about it though.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Winter is EXACTLY when to buy a rear drive luxury car. More supply than demand = best deal.
+1!!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 PM

So one thing that gets me... I just moved from San Francisco to Boston.. had to go thought the whole song and dance to get my car registered here. It wasn't complicated but there are a few more steps than in California.

So what I'm getting at is I had to have proof of insurance to register the car. Then I actually switched from my state farm insurance to my wife's geico insurance. No problem... they had their forms they needed too.. very over the top compared to California. Well in the whole process geico didn't send MASDot the form telling them I'm insured. State Farm sent in their form saying I'm no longer covered.

So what happened was I got a serious nasty gram of a letter from MASDot saying my registration was going to be pulled in less than a week and I'll be up **** creek if I don't get this fixed asap.

A quick call to geico fixed it but it was menacing.. I don't see how you can NOT have insurance in this state!! I'm really sorry about this but someone not having insurance is ridiculous.. especially here in MA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pretty Depressed: My Beloved C32 Totaled Yesterday