C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Another terrible pointman thread: dash light brightness...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Another terrible pointman thread: dash light brightness...

You've been warned. I make terrible threads.

How bright (or dark) do you have your dash lights set? I personally have splurged and set my lights pretty bright, about a half turn from the highest setting. I would go higher but fear burning out the lights and driving around with burnt dash lights.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Max out, all the time. I like visibility!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Max out, all the time. I like visibility!
Serious? Damn. Kind of jelly right now. You don't fear burning out a bulb?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, no sense in having instruments if you can't see them, right? If a bulb burns out, then it'll just have to be replaced. My old '98 Volvo V70 - purchased new by my parents in '97, driven daily by either my Dad, Mom or me until late '09, didn't need replacement bulbs until about '08 or early '09. That said, bulbs in the Benz might be a bit more difficult to replace? But I've never done them before, either on my C43 or my C55.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, no sense in having instruments if you can't see them, right? If a bulb burns out, then it'll just have to be replaced. My old '98 Volvo V70 - purchased new by my parents in '97, driven daily by either my Dad, Mom or me until late '09, didn't need replacement bulbs until about '08 or early '09. That said, bulbs in the Benz might be a bit more difficult to replace? But I've never done them before, either on my C43 or my C55.
I can still see everything, but the center console stuff looks much nicer when its brighter.

Good point on the Volvo. I am OCD about stuff that means nothing.

I can't imagine replacing the bulbs behind the cluster is easy and I know the dealer isn't going to be nice about doing it.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Saaboteur and me, the only ones enjoying this awesomely terrible thread. Shame on the rest of you.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
How do you adjust cluster brightness on our cars? Didn't even think that was possible

Trending Topics

Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by michael kuzni
How do you adjust cluster brightness on our cars? Didn't even think that was possible
The knob that resets the trip mileage... left side of cluster. Turn it instead of push it. Now run out and check where its set, and where you like it and report back!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by pointman
The knob that resets the trip mileage... left side of cluster. Turn it instead of push it. Now run out and check where its set, and where you like it and report back!
I can do that on the e63 too you think? Just turn it? It's really dim in there!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
did this - found an f-ing parking ticket - forgot to even check the damn cluster FML
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM

07 E63 Estate | 09 & 10 Rx8 R3
Originally Posted by ghiaguy
did this - found an f-ing parking ticket - forgot to even check the damn cluster FML
Oh how I miss the bay area.. NOT

oh and to reply to the first post. =)

I always have it cranked all the way up. No matter what car I've had. And never had a problem with any car burning out the bulb. Nor do I even worry about it.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can do that on the e63 too you think? Just turn it? It's really dim in there!
Probably. There is definitely an adjustment though. And terribly meaning trolling if messing with me. Terrible.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by speed7
Oh how I miss the bay area.. NOT

oh and to reply to the first post. =)

I always have it cranked all the way up. No matter what car I've had. And never had a problem with any car burning out the bulb. Nor do I even worry about it.
Interesting. Thanks dude. Seems like this forum is a bunch of badasses. I need to up my game.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Probably. There is definitely an adjustment though. And terribly meaning trolling if messing with me. Terrible.
nope, i'm not trolling

the cluster in my C55 must have been turned up all the way because it was bright in there, but you can barely see the dials in my E63. i have to rely on the digital screen for speed that i have it set to. i will try this soon and see if it works.

that's twice now that i get a response for my car on the W203 section! i've contributed more than i've gotten out of the W211 AMG section. if you aren't talking about your E55 running 10's in the 1/4 mile on there, you're not talking.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nope, i'm not trolling

the cluster in my C55 must have been turned up all the way because it was bright in there, but you can barely see the dials in my E63. i have to rely on the digital screen for speed that i have it set to. i will try this soon and see if it works.

that's twice now that i get a response for my car on the W203 section! i've contributed more than i've gotten out of the W211 AMG section. if you aren't talking about your E55 running 10's in the 1/4 mile on there, you're not talking.
There is definitely an adjustment. Thank the 203 AMG section. Your undying devotion to us is all the thanks we request. No big deal.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
There is definitely an adjustment. Thank the 203 AMG section. Your undying devotion to us is all the thanks we request. No big deal.
found this thread on the W211 section. sounds like it's the same for my car too https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...rightness.html
Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Saaboteur and me, the only ones enjoying this awesomely terrible thread. Shame on the rest of you.
My mission is to now think of a pointman-like pointless thread, so as better to emulate the awesome-terribleness that he emanates....
Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Interesting. Thanks dude. Seems like this forum is a bunch of badasses. I need to up my game.
lol no don't... people just come across rude more often than not on forums due to hiding behind the computer screen.

I always believe there is no such thing as a stupid question. However in some cases it does help to read the owners manual or search the forum. I'm not talking about this thread per say but just in general since most of these questions usually get answered.

Not sure if this one was ever asked though... and honestly I'm sure this is one I thought most people knew. Its been a standard for awhile now in cars. But then again I didn't realize what that triangle was on the gas gauge meant till my wife mentioned it. I immediately took my man card and tossed it out the window once the light bulb went off in my head. =)
Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
never flame others for making pointless threads. competitors that profit off of others inabilty to do something on their cars love that, and make money off it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Ben...ceb698&vxp=mtr
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM

aww I want a shiny AMG logo on my command unit.. alas I don't have a Maybach
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
aww I want a shiny AMG logo on my command unit.. alas I don't have a Maybach
i did it on mine, all i had to do was search the forums. you may possibly be able to do it on our cars. i'll look for the instructions.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:18 PM

No worries.. I searched and found them. Its turn on command, turn to radio, press and hold for 1 second 5, continue holding 5 press 3 for another second, continue holding the 5 and 3 and press 7 for 3 seconds. Then select AMG211_ECE menu option. However it doesn't look like it works on the C class.

I'll verify in a bit.. and honestly I'm more curious about an option menu in the command unit. I lost the clock sync feature from my command to my cluster when MB replaced it. I'm wondering if there is an option to re-sync it from there. The dealership was useless when it came to reprogramming the cluster in my car.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911
My mission is to now think of a pointman-like pointless thread, so as better to emulate the awesome-terribleness that he emanates....
Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The key is to not over-think it, but to raise a question you genuinely want to know.. but don't need to know the answer to. And you cannot post something that can be resolved by searching. Cause that is just bad form.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol no don't... people just come across rude more often than not on forums due to hiding behind the computer screen.

I always believe there is no such thing as a stupid question. However in some cases it does help to read the owners manual or search the forum. I'm not talking about this thread per say but just in general since most of these questions usually get answered.

Not sure if this one was ever asked though... and honestly I'm sure this is one I thought most people knew. Its been a standard for awhile now in cars. But then again I didn't realize what that triangle was on the gas gauge meant till my wife mentioned it. I immediately took my man card and tossed it out the window once the light bulb went off in my head. =)
This thread isn't covered in the manual. This thread is about how bright you like your display and how badass you are for going really bright.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another terrible pointman thread: dash light brightness...