C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Gearbox c32 amg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32AMG
Gearbox c32 amg

Hi All, hope someone can help with some direction regarding this issue. The beast broke down some time ago... no warning.. just wouldnt change up gears.. then eventually after limping in second... just went into neutral.
Plugged into the car for warning, reset errors, changed gearbox oil... only 3litres of sludge in it! re ran with new oil...no good.
Pulled out box, purchased new valve body... bench tested.
Put in new clutches and o rings etc in box, cleaned out all the dirty oil and sludge.
had torque converter rebuilt... it was stuffed, metal to metal !
put in new valve body,
reinstalled into car... flushed all lines, put in new oil.
now.... wont get out of second gear.

I am now at a bit of a loss as to what to do next aside from re check the sensors in the valve body have seated properly in the box.

Any ideas?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Check for oil on transmission control unit bits and wires.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM

C32 AMG x 2
Originally Posted by engineeringjabs
Hi All, hope someone can help with some direction regarding this issue. The beast broke down some time ago... no warning.. just wouldnt change up gears.. then eventually after limping in second... just went into neutral.
Plugged into the car for warning, reset errors, changed gearbox oil... only 3litres of sludge in it! re ran with new oil...no good.
Pulled out box, purchased new valve body... bench tested.
Put in new clutches and o rings etc in box, cleaned out all the dirty oil and sludge.
had torque converter rebuilt... it was stuffed, metal to metal !
put in new valve body,
reinstalled into car... flushed all lines, put in new oil.
now.... wont get out of second gear.

I am now at a bit of a loss as to what to do next aside from re check the sensors in the valve body have seated properly in the box.

Any ideas?

Rebuild tranny, or find one in a junkyard or off ebay that is okay. i just had my whole differential replaced. There are so many parts that could go wrong as well as a combination of parts.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911
Mine was sticking gear/shifting out due to coffee on the shifter.(tcm)First we checked the Tcu for fluid on the wires and there was, replaced the conductor plate and connection and repeatedly cleaned the tranny fuild seeping up the wires to the tcu. The old plug (o ring)was no good. However the intermitant gear shift slip was still happening.Then moved onto the shifter (replace) and all is good.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 AM

C32AMG
Thanks gents. Worked it out. I pulled the box out again and check it all. I had one o ring out of place.. my bad!
put it all back in.
Then called eurocharged and had the ecu reflashed.
Still no go but the guys did a top job... Thanks!
Then plugged in an after market scan tool. "expensive one" and cleared out all the errors, reset some of the sensor values and she is all good. (Thanks Loui!)
goes like a champion.. also running the61mm pulley.
I also put some stall on the torque converter so it gets off the mark better.
Also reset some gear change values to get better shifts.
i will take it easy for a while to run everything in but all seems good now.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Did you reflash tcu to change torque converter values or make a mechanical change?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 AM

C32AMG
The stall on the torque converter did not require any changes to the tcu.
I made a mechanical change to the internals of the torque converter to give an extra couple of hundred rpm before take up/coupling.
The fins on the outside of the converter are tipped over a bit.
This was done without any serious modification of the C32 torque converter and has made a huge difference to the performance of the car. its a lot of trouble but big difference.
After the gearbox ecu was reset of errors it ran OK however shifts where lazy.
Using a scan tool we reset some of the sensor values and also increased adjusted the shift times to make the shifts faster.. at first it was very slow to grab gears.
When the box was out I also replaced all clutches and replaced the needle roller bearing HK2100 and seal (nylon ring) in K2 clutch section (join of input and output shaft).

Today... because of totoal loss of power issues. eurocharged recommended looking at the bosh intercooler pump. I took it out.. tested it. All OK. Cut of plug as per instructions on this forum and soldered the wires directly. Works well.
I also cut the plug out for the front bumper parking sensors and soldered them as I was having malfunctions with the parking sensors... when I cut the plug off water poured out of the sleeve on the cable! not good, plug was badly corroded. This is also working well now.

Now I am chasing P2000 ESM error. Next job!