C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Halogens to HID questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32, C55, 08 E63
Halogens to HID questions

I'm looking to upgrade my headlights as I currently have the stock halogens and they are horrible at night. I've searched and looked over countless threads but most have to do with installing bi-xenons and I haven't found a clear cut answer to my questions.

I know when installing the bi-xenons you have to have the system set for them to accommodate the bi-xenons. I'm assuming you will still need to do this if you replace the halogens with HIDs while retaining the halogen housings because you'll still be running at 35w and not the factory 55w. Is this correct?

If the settings must be changed, can you still run the halogen bulbs with the computer set to accept the HIDs?

Just want to double check so I don't go to install the HIDs and get stuck with no lights and Vic versa.

TIA!!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
If you are simply installing a HID kit then all you need is an error canceler to go with the set up.. It simply connects in line with the ballast and bulb.. If you are replacing complete headlights with HID fitted headlights then you will need to take to someone that has the STAR computer to change the setting, set to xenon or something like that.. Keep searching, there is tons of information in here about headlights.. When I had my oem headlight conversion done I found detailed instructions with pictures, easy..!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32, C55, 08 E63
Thanks for the post, I've never had to deal with computer regulated headlights before so all this is new to me. I found a set of error cancelers on eBay so I'll order those up an wait to do the install till they come in.

I'd still like to know if I changed the STAR setting to bi xenon if the HIDs would work without the error canceler and if the halogens would still work with the setting switched over.