C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Anybody replace the "other" fluids? Coolant, diff, power steering?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Anybody replace the "other" fluids? Coolant, diff, power steering?

Currently around 115,000 miles on the clock, and I was thinking that later this year I'll be hitting 120k.

I replace the oil with Mobil 1 0W-40 every 8,000 miles.

Although the maintenance manual doesn't say to, I replaced the transmission fluid and filter @ 80,000 miles (did the drain and fill method twice, not the pressure method). I may do a drain and fill again @ 120,000, but may not change the filter. Popping the pan off concerns me; I used to work in a mass production transmission facility - I know how easy it is to introduce lint that will lock up the valve body.

Manual recommends changing the coolant @ 150,000 miles or 10 years. Anybody done this yet, or earlier?

Manual doesn't say anything about the power steering fluid (topped that off with Pentosin CHF11S @ 70,000 miles).

Manual doesn't say anything about the diff fluid (although this was replaced somewhere around 10-25,000 miles due to a leaking seal). On the newer AMG's and V12's I believe it says to change @ 10,000 miles or the first oil change.

Also recommends changing the spark plugs at 100,000 miles, but I haven't. Car seems to run well, still average 22 mixed MPG, one of those things that I feel is "if it ain't broke don't fix it", especially when there's 16 of them to break.

Opinions? What "other" non-engine-oil maintenance items have you guys done?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Hey, I did trans at 35k, and again recently. Diff/coolant/and steering at about 50k.

I haven't done plugs yet, but plan on it at about 90k. Tech didn't say any fluid looked particularly bad.

22mpg... mixed?? HOW?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32, C55, 08 E63
In all my other performance cars I change the tranny and diff fluid every other oil change. My logic is fluid is cheaper than a new diff or tranny so why not? Not like new fluif can hurt either of them, but old worn out oil sure can so no need to risk it.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Ive done everything PS fluid and brake fluid a few times already just did my diff fluid and coolant last week and diff seals since they were seeping. I haven't done the trans yet, but plan to rebuild it soon. You should really do the PS fluid as the rack is expensive as hell on our cars.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
The diff fluid is pretty easy with the right tools. You basically cannot just pour in new fluid because there's no room to 'gravity' feed it in. You need to use some sort of pump, but I'd stay away from the cheap plastic fluid transfer pumps and use a syringe type pump. Instead of struggling to get the flow going, you just basically pump the fluid directly into the diff.

And if you're going to wait that long for plugs, might as well do wires too - adds to the expense but sometimes the wires don't come off that easily. I had a few wires destroyed in the removal process when I did the plugs on my C43.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
I changed my differential fluid right after I bought the car at 33k miles. Then I changed it again when the Quaife went in. It was nasty the first change. I did coolant and also cleaned the throttle body when I put on the supercharger. I haven't done anything with power steering yet. I did brake fluid when the CLK63 brakes went on, but it's about time to do it again.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG
I never do PS fluid unless I'm servicing it, or it has a leak, so therefore I'm servicing it lol. Never need to. I just top it back off and done.

Engine oil, every 7500ish miles, diff fluid every 30k, trans every 15k. Coolant I use a hydrometer to test it. However, I evaluate the condition as well. If it's dirty looking, discolored, smells strongly, then I'll change it even if the hydrometer says it's ok. On average, I'll flush the cooling system every few years.
Brake fluid, I check the condition and color. If it's fairly transparent, I don't bother with it. If it starts getting discolored, then I'll flush it.