C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Renntech Springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C32 AMG
Renntech Springs

After I got the springs installed, I started to notice some more noises coming from the car when going over bumps. This is what I expected. However, there is a noise that shouldn't be happening. It's coming from the rear passenger tire area and it sounds like a clanking noise (my wife describes it as someone leaving a tool inside and its clanking against the side). I don't know how to explain it. I was at the dealer for regular maintenance and they told me to have it checked out by the people who installed the springs. The shop checked it out and said everything was installed properly. They suggested it might be the shock going bad. So now I have another appointment tomorrow with dealer to check it out. Has anyone else had any problems after installing springs on the stock AMG shocks??

Daniel
Old 08-27-2003, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have to think its because of the installation. Who would admit that "oh, yes, I have f***ed up your car during installation?" People always want to blame on something else, ask the shop "why do we hear a clanking sound if the shocks are dead????" If the shocks were dead, your car will feel like a boat bouncing up and down. It wont make a banging noise!! I guess you should know how good they are if they can make such a statement. Maybe you should bring your car to a different shop and ask for a second opinion.

My car has Renntech springs for 14 months now. My AMG shocks are still doing fine. Renntech states that their springs are very closely matched to the stock AMG shocks.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:30 PM

C32 AMG, CLK 320
I had the same problem. On the rear springs, the coils that are closer then the others need to be on top. When installed they must be seated properly.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R170
I had Renntech Springs/Koni Yellow shocks installed on my SLK a while ago, and sadly I had a very similar clanking sound coming from my right rear. Bring it back to the dealer, and it may well be that it was a mistake of putting the spring in upside down... or it could be what happened to me, which is why I dread letting the dealership have my car anymore... they left half of the spring compressor on the spring when they gave me the car back! Very easy to fix, but shows a lack of care in the work they do... let us know.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:50 PM
rrf

I like the upside down spring idea. A progressive spring does ride on some coils under compression.

Shock spring mismatch: Renntech and AMG spring rates are nearly identical. Lengths are different though. Anyway, it won't be the shock, pretty sure. How agressive is this "bump" you hit?

Another possibility is the sway bar attachment, I'd also check that out.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:33 AM

Mercedes C32 AMG
The bumps i hit are not very large or aggressive at all. I hear the noise when I'm driving very slowly like 15-25 mph and i go over small bumps. It also happens when i'm driving like 15-25 mph while moving the stearing wheel back and forth quickly. I'm heading the my dealer today and hopefully they can pinpoint the problem. I'll let you all know what happens when i get the car back. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally posted by Harris
My car has Renntech springs for 14 months now. My AMG shocks are still doing fine. Renntech states that their springs are very closely matched to the stock AMG shocks.

Harris, how low is the drop on those springs? I was going to get the H&R coilover kit, but my mind is still debating. I think I remember you having H&R, what are the differences between the two? One of the main reasons i wanted the coliover kit, was because i had heard numerous times that if you just install springs the shocks would wear out quicker than the springs?
Thanks again!!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:41 PM
lap

2002 c32
make sure it's not

the front Sway Bar Bushings (notorious problem apparently). At times the noises I heard from this culprit appeared to emanate from the rear..

btw: what are the impressions on the Koni Yellow -I have these, Exteranally Adjustible Yellows, on another car and LOVE them. Are they agressive (stiff) enough for our application? I don't mind a little harshness if I can achieve more "feel".

TIA
Old 08-28-2003, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by ChrisC32
Harris, how low is the drop on those springs? I was going to get the H&R coilover kit, but my mind is still debating. I think I remember you having H&R, what are the differences between the two? One of the main reasons i wanted the coliover kit, was because i had heard numerous times that if you just install springs the shocks would wear out quicker than the springs?
Thanks again!!
Chris, please check your e-mail.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:21 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Results from dealer

Hello All,

I took the car in to the dealer last night and I got a call from them today. It turns out that the noise was coming from the swaybar link and not the springs. I guess it was just coininsidence that the noise started right after the springs were installed. Well they are ordering the part and I'll get it fixed next week. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Daniel