Fibre optic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Fibre optic?

Contemplating a Dynavin nav head unit. My car just has the Audio 20 setup, but with Harmon Kardon stereo. The Dynavin seller indicates it won't work with fibre optic cars, but other threads seem to indicate that it will work. I can't find a definitive answer - how do I tell if the car is fibre optic equipped?
Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55, 1995 C36
Regardless of FO equiped or not...I was REALLY looking forward to the Dynavin D99 Android so I could run Android apps like Torque until I read this: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...t-w211s-4.html

Post #86 and after in particular. As of now, I've reconsidered just going with an aftermarket double-DIN HU and modding as needed to visually integrate. What a disappointment.

If their distributor is dropping them b/c of no warranty support, I'm out.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't really care about whether the stereo looks OE or not, what matters most to me is keeping the functionality of the steering wheel controls.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Hey there! I actually did get your PM and never found the time to reply to it (you asked way too many questions! ) this thread you made makes more sense. I haven't been able to make a fiber optic system Mercedes (what you have) retain the factory steering wheel controls even with the adapters that PAC parts carries. I'm sure there's a way to do it, but since it is a canbus system it's millions of times more difficult. Wanna change the stereo to aftermarket? Unless Dynavin (really not the biggest fans of their stereos go with the pioneer AVIC-Z150BH if anything) offers a plug and play deal for your fiber optic system so that you don't need to rewire and change all the cables out, then good luck. If you want better sound, change out the stereo to a mainstream double din, change the 6.5" speakers all around, add an aftermarket 4 ch. 4 OHM amplifier and you'd have a clean and great sounding install. I've done it twice on forum members W203's in the past month now (I think I'm at five or six forum members on here that are customers of mine, sorry for not sponsoring mbworld ) but to really answer your question, like I said, unless Dynavin offers a plug and play with the fiber optic system without modifications to wiring, then they are useless regardless of their generic features IMO. Oh and in order to tell for sure if you have a fiber optic system, the stereo needs to come out and you can visually see if you have a harness and cables or just a small white looking cable bound into one strand.

Last edited by MIKESV8; 05-10-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay thanks for te responses! Look like I have a bit more homework to do. I don't want to lose my steering wheel controls. I've got a Dension set up right now that allows Bluetooth phone and iPod connection, but it's not that great, especially the pone volume. I've got a cheap no name Chinese made nav/Bluetooth/iPod head unit in my Audi and it functions quite well. Looking for something similar.

Anyone know if the $2k units Cartronics sold are still available somewhere? i had my eye on one of those but Iknow the poor guy died just about a year or so ago and the site's been shut down.

Or would a Mobridge unit get me what I want, except nav?

Last edited by Saaboteur; 05-10-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
your car has fiber optic.