C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55: Lots of issues, need help! Steering wheel stuck, headlight flickering, brakes!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63, C55 (sold), 2002 C32 (sold)
C55: Lots of issues, need help! Steering wheel stuck, headlight flickering, brakes!

Hi all,

Ive been having a lot of issues with my C55. They didnt happen all at once but im planning on fixing them all now. I need advice and help on how to fix these issues, and how expensive they are, as well as where I can fix them or how I can fix them for the least money.

1- Steering wheel is stuck in the upper most position. My steering wheel no longer auto adjusts on its own. One day, I got in the car and I could hear the leveling motor working but the steering wheel isnt moving downwards. It moves in and out but doesnt move up or down. How expensive is this to fix??

2- My right side low beam headlight flickers and goes out all the time. Usually within 2 mins of driving or any sort of bump on the road causes the bulb to go out. If I hit a pot hole or bump in the road sometimes it will cause it to flicker back on but for the most part the lights turn on when I turn on the car and then the right low beam bulb goes out shortly after. When im driving, my simple fix is turning the lights off then back on which turns both headlights back on. I think others have had this problem as well. Is it the ballast? i donno, but how much is this to fix?

3- I need to replace my front pads and rotors? What are the cheapest/best brand? Where can I get them?

Im planning on selling my car when I get all these issues fixed so im trying to save as much money as possible on all these repairs. Your advice and expertise is much appreciated guys!

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:50 PM

05 C55 AMG
My advice is not to cheap out on parts...
Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
stff
Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
1) broken dogbone
2) connector, ballast, or bulb (in that order)
3) OEM, Zimmermann, there's a ton of them out there if you search auto parts websites. rotors aren't that expensive
Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C320, W208 CLK 320, w209 CLK 500
Here's a thread that goes into the steering wheel issue.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...d-working.html

As stated, its because of a broken dogbone that links the adjustment motor to the steering column, its a pita to get to and requires removal of the driver side dash. The part itself costs about $3, but a shop will probably charge $500+ to tear into the dash to fix it.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:43 AM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Answer

Originally Posted by ryad32
Hi all,

Ive been having a lot of issues with my C55. They didnt happen all at once but im planning on fixing them all now. I need advice and help on how to fix these issues, and how expensive they are, as well as where I can fix them or how I can fix them for the least money.

1- Steering wheel is stuck in the upper most position. My steering wheel no longer auto adjusts on its own. One day, I got in the car and I could hear the leveling motor working but the steering wheel isnt moving downwards. It moves in and out but doesnt move up or down. How expensive is this to fix??

2- My right side low beam headlight flickers and goes out all the time. Usually within 2 mins of driving or any sort of bump on the road causes the bulb to go out. If I hit a pot hole or bump in the road sometimes it will cause it to flicker back on but for the most part the lights turn on when I turn on the car and then the right low beam bulb goes out shortly after. When im driving, my simple fix is turning the lights off then back on which turns both headlights back on. I think others have had this problem as well. Is it the ballast? i donno, but how much is this to fix?

3- I need to replace my front pads and rotors? What are the cheapest/best brand? Where can I get them?

Im planning on selling my car when I get all these issues fixed so im trying to save as much money as possible on all these repairs. Your advice and expertise is much appreciated guys!

Thanks!
Pelican Parts has many price levels to select from.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...570-Brakes.htm

whunter@pelicanparts.com