C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 hesitant or slow start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 C55
C55 hesitant or slow start

Just picked up a 2005 C55. I cant believe these cars are going for 12K or so now! I am a M3 guy, but this is a lot of performance per dollar!

This car is NOT my daily driver. I know the battery is new. The car can sit for a few days and I go to start it and it starts RIGHT up. I'll drive five minutes to the grocery store, go in and get something, go back to the car and it is a little slow to turn over. If I drive a long distance, say 75 miles, let it sit for a bit, everything is fine. It just seems like the car does not like being turned back on right after I turn it off. I took a long drive, stopped to get gas, again another slow start, but it starts.

Any suggestions? Is it an alternator issue? Bad battery? I searched and searched and could not find anything.

Love this car BTW. My next car will be a C63. Searched nation wide for a mars red C55, but couldnt find one, at ANY price!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Just to clarify, does it have an extended (long) crank or the starter seems like it isn't turning over as strongly as usual?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:35 AM

2006 C55
Originally Posted by 91RS
Just to clarify, does it have an extended (long) crank or the starter seems like it isn't turning over as strongly as usual?
Sorry, it seems like it isnt strong as it was initially. It is slow, like the battery is going out.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I have this same exact issue right now (and was going to make a new post). Right after a long drive, if I try to restart about 5 minutes after while the car is still hot, it sounds like the starter is very weak, and the car barely turns over and catches. I don't know if it's the starter or battery (or something else?). Doesn't happen on cold starts, either in the morning or afternoon after work, etc. Only when the car is hot.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
I have the same issue.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I would wager that the crank position sensor needs replacement. Try searching that or 'CPS' and I think you will find mention of hot start issues.

Fortunately, unlike the C32 guys, it's a pretty easy job. Need torx sockets though, one of the smaller sizes. I can't remember precisely which one though.
The following users liked this post:
C55 Man (03-13-2020)
Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 AM

2006 C55
I thought the car would cut off while driving with CPS related issues...

Is there a way I can check to see if there is a code if my CEL is not illuminated?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Star Diagnostics is likely the only other way to diagnose - it shows a lot more than an OBD2 code reader.

I suppose it could be the MAF sensor, but then you should definitely see a CEL. My money's on the CPS though, others have described the same symptoms as you - hot start difficult, but cranks fine.

http://pingelblog.blogspot.ca/2008/0...on-sensor.html

https://mbworld.org/wiki/index.php/W...ommon_Problems

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...-starting.html

Those links are re: the older C43, but the engine is basically the same.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 08-12-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:30 PM

2006 C55
Also, I was reading about that crank til it revs feature so I went to the grocery store yesterday and tried it. It worked fine when it was cold. I barely turned the key to the 3 position and it cranked a few times and started right up. I tried it when I was leaving the grocery store and it cranked maybe once and stopped and did not make ANY noise when I tried to crank it again. I took the key out and tried it again, NOTHING. No noise, the cluster lit up, but there was no reaction. So I played a game on my phone to calm down, thought about who I was going to call, about five minutes late I figured I would give it one more try and it slowly turned over and started.

This thing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Ben...r#ht_894wt_808

It is so cheap I might as well try it. Sounds like it is probably on its way out anyway.

Last edited by blacksage; 08-12-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's the piece. However, you may need to match the CPS to the engine serial number - the innards are the same, but the clip for the harness might be different. Try doing the search on autohausaz.com, or pelicanparts.com. If you still need more help, PM or post up your VIN and I or someone else can search the EPC for the part number.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
Does this have anything to do with my dash lights dimming for a split second at stop lights? It happens rarely, but is noticeable.

This hot start issue is a pain. I have never had the car unable to start, but cranking can take a couple seconds. Not fun when people are checking out your car and waiting to hear the exhaust tone.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:23 PM

2006 C55
I checked both websites and they both show the bosch unit for about $45. Was the VIN thing just a maybe of FYI or are you certain there is a difference? Thanks for the help!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know for my C43, there was a variation in the sensor retaining clip, ie. like one notches or two, that was dependent on engine serial number range. AutohausAZ's site just says to verify the appearance of the sensor, so you could try that first. Chances are, though, that what you get should be fine. AutohausAZ's always been good to me.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Looks like I'm reviving a 3 month old thread but it looks like I have a similar problem, however my car hasn't died yet.

I noticed today when I started the car, it turned over 10+ times before it started and drove just fine.

I parked where I was going, and when I came back out maybe 10-15 minutes later, the car cranked normally and started just fine.

The 3 times I had to stop elsewhere today, within a couple hours of each other, the car did the same thing as the first time: cranked 10+ times before it started.

It sounds like the battery is dying but I had it replaced earlier this year so it shouldn't be that. After searching the forum, it looks like this is the issue with the CPS described here. Does that sound right??
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 PM

2006 C55
Maybe...take a look at your battery terminals...
Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Terminals look clean as ever...
Old 11-13-2013, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

maybe I should also note I just replaced my spark plugs Sunday, but the car was running fine until today...I wouldn't think those have anything to do with this though
Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 AM

2006 C55
I'll take a stab at this. I don't think I needed to replace my CPS, it was cheap and preventative thing and gave me piece of mine. My battery terminals had a lot of corrosion on them. After I cleaned them, the problem was not as bad, but still not gone. Just going through the forums...seems like this problem comes up with bad fuel filters, clogged pump, or bad plugs. With the CPS, some cars were throwing codes and not starting at all. I do not THINK the CPS is your problem.

Did you have this problem before you replaced the plugs?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So here's a quick update:

Wednesday I had the problem
Thursday and Friday the car started fine ALL DAY, both days, WTF??
Saturday it was a little bit sketchy that evening but not as bad
Yesterday it was sketchy once and then the second time when I went back home it was fine
This morning before work, it started up normally

I had a full batter/alternator/starter test done at Advance Auto on Thursday and everything checked out alright, which makes sense because I don't think it's anything with this.

I don't think it's the CPS, but I just ordered one anyway, to stick in my trunk along with the idler pulley and drive belt I have there (I like to be prepared because I know these are parts likely to leave me stranded on the side of the road).

Like you are saying, I think it has to be something with the fuel system. I have not had the fuel filter replaced since I've bought the car and I'm at 90k miles now, which I believe is about the time to do it so I'll do that first. I REALLY hope it's not the fuel pump, because that's $250 from rmeuropean.com

Oh, I forgot to answer your question, no I did not have the problem before replacing the plugs.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When you did the plugs, did you unplug the coil packs from the main harness? I found the clips on those to be very brittle.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...placement.html

Perhaps they didn't plug back in very nicely?
Old 11-18-2013, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
When you did the plugs, did you unplug the coil packs from the main harness? I found the clips on those to be very brittle.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...placement.html

Perhaps they didn't plug back in very nicely?
Ah yes, those were a huge PITA because the small plastic piece on the side of the connector that clips onto the side kept snapping on several of them. However, it didn't actually damage the connector itself. I made sure to seat them all the way in like they should be, but perhaps one or some of them worked themselves out a bit? I might just end up buying new connectors and replacing them. Thanks for the part # in your link!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think one could run the car without the clips (on the damaged ones) for a few days and not have any worries. On my car, those clips fit in quite snugly, and I think it would be unlikely that they could work loose on their own - as in the whole engine vibrates, and not the coilpack connectors on their own. Could be wrong though.

CPS issues tend to only show up when the car is hot already. On my C43, when it had about 240,000 km, I had some issues with starting too. Twist the key to start and it was supposed to crank on its own. There was frequently a delay in starting, and I would have to twist the key more than once (very annoying first world problem, I know). It turned out to be the fuel pump, I had also replaced the fuel filter to no avail. But the fuel pump on the 202 is a lot easier to get at, as it's external and accessible under the car. I think the 203 is in tank and you have to remove the rear seat to access.

If you have the right gauge, I think you may be able to test the pressure at the rail. But then you need the values to see what's what. Do you have a copy of the WIS? The information should be in there.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, I actually got a 24 hour subscription to startek the other day and printed out literally EVERYTHING I thought I would ever need from there. I have 3 thick binders full of the material I printed and organized and created a table of contents for so I will have to check that out.

Thanks everyone for their help with this. On a side note, I checked the connectors and they are all fine. And also, the car has been starting normally all day today as well.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quick update:

Ordered a CPS anyway and it came in Friday so I had one since it's a common problem, so for $50 might as well have one sitting around.
Really, really cold Saturday morning, tried to start car (I have the auto crank feature) and it cranked and cranked until it hit the limit and didn't start. Then I'm sitting there going s***, I'm stuck. So I try it a second time and it worked fine, but now the CEL is on! I get back home later and just decide I'll replace the CPS anyway. I tell you what, getting to that one stupid bolt was such a PITA, it took me 2 hours to do the job because I kept dropping sockets and extensions and stuff under the car. I had to use both the 3" and 6" ratchet extension, and unbolted the rear two drivers side ignition coils to have room to turn the ratchet, and I had to get it at just the right angle with the head of the ratchet right up against the firewall.

Turned the car on after and it started fine and CEL was gone. Went to my buddy's house Saturday who has a star computer and when he ran the codes, surprise, CPS code thrown. Cleared my codes out and good to go! Glad I just went ahead and got a CPS
Old 04-10-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55, BMW 335d M-Sport
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm having the exact same issue as the OP. The car doesn't want to turn over when it's warm. It's gotten to the point now that it doesn't click or make any sound. I have a brand new battery and the terminals are perfectly clean. I've also had the starter rebuilt. I'm not totally ruling out the starter but what else could be causing this? I've had CPS issues with other cars in the past and usually that keeps the car from starting, but it doesn't effect how it turns over. How did you guys fix this problem?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C55 hesitant or slow start