C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 possible purchase questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
C55 possible purchase questions

Hey guys, I was interested in getting a C 55 as a daily driver. I do have a few questions and concerns about this, though.

First, the transmission seems to be awfully slow, especially when you're manually shifting. Is it really this slow? I guess maybe I got a little bit used to the dual clutch transmissions of more modern cars. But it just seemed exceptionally slow to change up and down.

Secondly, at highway speeds the steering seemed to be a little bit looser. Is this normal? I'm used to the steering on hydraulic BMWs being very tight. It didn't seem to get lighter as the speeds increased.

Lastly. The car said there was no telephone connected. I am assuming there is no Bluetooth? How can I tell if there is a Bluetooth, or will I need to buy a module in order for this to be able to be paired with the modern smartphone?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 PM

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
E55 AMG
It is a good daily driver. If you are used to double-clutch transmissions then the old 5 speeder will seem slow. In sport mode with auto shifting it is reasonably quick but in manual mode is where it gets slow. It is known to be reliable though...

Loose steering... I have driven a couple of BMW M3s before I bought my car and despite the rave reviews M3s get - I don't think the steering feel was that much better or tighter to be honest. That is just me though. The general view is that BMW M steering is better, tighter etc.

In terms of the Bluetooth, the car does not have it but it does have a set of wires going up into the center console/armrest intended for that purpose. more - https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...5-c55-amg.html

The car you are looking at seems like a pretty normal C55 - these things are just characteristics of the car. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:25 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
If its anything like the CLK (same transmission) then yes its very slow. I like manual mode but sometimes I increase 1000rpm or more from pressing the upshift switch to it actually shifting. Go from 2nd to 4th in two quick clicks and it will trail you by 2-3 seconds sometimes. I hope the newer 7 speed is a lot quicker.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55, 2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport
I moved to my C55 from a sport package 328i.

A couple of notes to add my opinion to these.

1. the trans is slower to shift than a dual clutch but the car is very receptive to accelerator imputs. TW2's example highlights this. if you are aggressively accelerating and you up shift before the car has run above 5500-6000RPM the car will hold the gear to utilize the available torque and will upshift near the rev limiter cut out. You will notice that in normal driving the manual shifts are crisp and "prompt" compared to driver imput time.

2. I would say that it isn't the difference in steering that you are feeling but really the difference in the suspension and weight distribution. After a few hundred miles you will be all settled in.

3. search

additional note. this is a great DD, it is very easy to drive slowly and handles heavy traffic with incredible smoothness, but it kills it on the open road when you get a chance to play. When driving hard you really only drive the car at 50-60% so it is effortless and a complete pleasure.

Good luck!!!