The next upgrade: SL65 or CLKBS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
The next upgrade: SL65 or CLKBS

I've been looking into my next MB upgrade, and I've been reading a lot, looking at cars in person (admit have not test driven either two of these), and trying to figure out which one.

07-08 SL65 -
Pros: I've always loved the MB V12's, and when they decided to twin turbo this one, it made it even that more over the top. I also loved it when they came out with the R230 platform; I think it's just such a beautifully well done car. Add to that being a convertible, and a sleek hardtop at that, with amazing ABC suspension, gigantic brakes, probably the highest hp engine on the market, and a beautiful and sleek interior.
Cons: Biggest drawback I see though are the constant ABC failures and coil pack failures I keep reading about, which turns into high overall maintenance costs. Plus the 230 interior is quickly losing pace against the current modern MB interiors.

07-08 CLK63 BS -
Pros: I remember seeing a brand new black one at a dealership years ago when I was walking around with a buddy of mine. Wasn't really sure what I was looking at, and my friend said "dude, that's a black series". I said cool, not really knowing since I hadn't kept up with my MB lately. I knew AMG, didn't know BS. Fast forward to the present, and now I know obviously. Awesome lines, awesome setup all around, and the iconic modern 6.3 V8 from MB. I love the front and interior styling of the C55, so this would only be a natural continuation.
Cons: Regardless that I like it, the front and interior styling of the 203/9 is becoming dated, I know there's better/more modern (same as 230). The only real reliability issue I can foresee is the same headbolt issue that some of the C/E/CLS's have with the early 6.3 engines.

I have an affinity for both of these cars for different reasons (awesome hardtop convertible, sleek lines, crazy engine, a modern rare classic; vs. awesome track-like car, bold lines, a future rare collector car). I love both, can't have both, so I'm looking for some advice from my fellow C55 owners, since many of you have either already upgraded, or at least started at the same point that I have. Other factors of course include that the C55 has been incredibly reliable to me as a DD and has most modern luxuries as well as a few additional options that really make it pop. And the fact that the resale value is terrible in trying to apply those monies to a future car.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
335i
I'd probably go for the CLK BS, I've never been in one but I can only imagine is that it makes every drive and glance you get in the garage an occasion. It looks and sounds like it has more ***** than the SL65 and the relative lack of toys makes the age thing less apparent. As much as I like the R230's, they aren't as special and timeless as a BS car. Nothing too special on the outside to keep the blood flowing year after year, even though it is still quite pretty today, and outdated inside.

Also from a maintenance standpoint, the CLK BS has the advantage, handsdown. It doesn't sound like anything in particular could go wrong except maybe the diff and headbolts (which is a one time deal), but in the SL, ABC, coilpacks, electronics will go bad, and probably more than once..
Old 11-17-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 C55
I vote CLK BS. I am sure the SL is great, and this is without doing ANY research on the car cause it isnt my thing...it seems like quite a jump from the C55. While the performance might be there, I am sure the maintenance costs, insurance, etc is up there as well.

Plus I always considered any SL a weekend thing. I think you could get away with a CLK as a DD.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
I'd go with the Black. As much as I love the SL (for the same reasons you do), the CLK is a more reliable car overall and has more room inside (which I need). Plus, the Black looks better than the SL in my opinion.

Do want!!

Would be impossible to find, but Mars Red is sick, too.

Last edited by 91RS; 11-17-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
Mmm. That thing looks killer!! I think the Black would also be less likely to nickel and dime you to death down the road.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
2 different concepts if you ask me...I'd look at the SL as more of a replacement to the C55 and the CLK as more of a suppliment to a DD. I'd be more inclined to treat the SL as a daily driver and the CLK as more of a sports car/weekend show off!

So it really comes down to what you are exactly looking for IMHO. Though the hardtop convertible is sweet! I'm also more familiar with the 209/203 platform and it would be an easy transition vice learning an entirely new beast essentially (unless you already have experience with the 230 platform.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Just a few more things to note that I thought of. If you were talking about the CLK63 convertible (which I remember you were considering before), I'd tell you to go with the SL over that. The Black is a unique car like the 65. However, I think the CLK would also be much more fun to drive, even though it is down on power compared to the SL, because it is lighter and should also have a better suspension being a Black.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
As SICK as the SL65 is, I would go with the CLK. For the reasons everyone has stated above, (and don't take me too seriously because I haven't done my research) but I believe the SL65 will probably cost you much more to maintain. I think in general the C class models will always be cheaper than the S class models in this sense (and price of course). And I already know how much money I've blown on this C55

I also personally like having more room in the car so maybe I'm biased about that too

And as maverik said, on top of that, you already have working experience on the C55, which gives you a big advantage vs. learning the SL layout.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
For the price range you are in with the SL65 and CLK63BS I would consider adding a 911 TT and GTR to the roster, just thinking outside the box.. I have never driven nor rode in any of these cars but if I had to choose between the 65 or 63 I would go with the CLK63BS..
Old 11-18-2013, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Probably the M156 headbolt issue is overblown and 'forum amplified'. For every car that has had a headbolt issue that the owner has posted about on the forums, I'm sure there are multitudes that have not had the issue.

Of the two cars, I agree with what Maverick and 91RS have posted. I dig the CLK more, you just can't get enough wide body. Strangely enough, of the two cars I think the SL65 is going to be more subtle.

The only other thing I would add is that I personally can't stand the instrument clusters of the 209 (and 211 and 219). I hate that there is an analog clock so prominent. Who cares? Seems old manish to me, and not sporting enough. And you can't drive the car from the outside, only the inside....

The 230 SLs though, have lovely interiors. I think it's a fair step up from the 'lesser' cars in the Benz range. But the car is packed with so many little gadgets and technology, and that means a lot more stuff to go wrong.

I suppose if you intend to keep the mileage down, and just drive it occasionally, that's not such a huge worry though. But, just have to keep in mind that if something goes wrong, it's likely a much more expensive fix, ie. air suspension vs. coil springs.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:50 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Clk63BS definitely. I hated the clock initially but i really like it now, wouldn't be without it, it grows on you.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
E55 AMG
One thing I must point out about 65 vs 63 cars in general is the longevity of the engine design.
V12 AMG M275 released 2004..... was just put into the new 2014 S65
V8 AMG M156 released 2007...... almost gone

The SL65 has a much more premium interior - the CLK63 BS feels like a C55 inside. As a daily driver/long distance cruiser the SL65 would be killer. The CLK63 BS is more of a driver's weapon.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So basically, everyone seems to like or at least respect both cars...
Old 11-18-2013, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Viper98912
I've been looking into my next MB upgrade, and I've been reading a lot, looking at cars in person (admit have not test driven either two of these), and trying to figure out which one.

07-08 SL65 -
Pros: I've always loved the MB V12's, and when they decided to twin turbo this one, it made it even that more over the top. I also loved it when they came out with the R230 platform; I think it's just such a beautifully well done car. Add to that being a convertible, and a sleek hardtop at that, with amazing ABC suspension, gigantic brakes, probably the highest hp engine on the market, and a beautiful and sleek interior.
Cons: Biggest drawback I see though are the constant ABC failures and coil pack failures I keep reading about, which turns into high overall maintenance costs. Plus the 230 interior is quickly losing pace against the current modern MB interiors.

07-08 CLK63 BS -
Pros: I remember seeing a brand new black one at a dealership years ago when I was walking around with a buddy of mine. Wasn't really sure what I was looking at, and my friend said "dude, that's a black series". I said cool, not really knowing since I hadn't kept up with my MB lately. I knew AMG, didn't know BS. Fast forward to the present, and now I know obviously. Awesome lines, awesome setup all around, and the iconic modern 6.3 V8 from MB. I love the front and interior styling of the C55, so this would only be a natural continuation.
Cons: Regardless that I like it, the front and interior styling of the 203/9 is becoming dated, I know there's better/more modern (same as 230). The only real reliability issue I can foresee is the same headbolt issue that some of the C/E/CLS's have with the early 6.3 engines.

I have an affinity for both of these cars for different reasons (awesome hardtop convertible, sleek lines, crazy engine, a modern rare classic; vs. awesome track-like car, bold lines, a future rare collector car). I love both, can't have both, so I'm looking for some advice from my fellow C55 owners, since many of you have either already upgraded, or at least started at the same point that I have. Other factors of course include that the C55 has been incredibly reliable to me as a DD and has most modern luxuries as well as a few additional options that really make it pop. And the fact that the resale value is terrible in trying to apply those monies to a future car.

I am in the same boat as I just unloaded the C32 and am on the hunt for a 63 or a V12 Benz. Maintenance on the V12s scares me as well. I think whatever we go, in a few years the car we buy will be dated. Plus, the V12s are dropping like a rock monthly. The market seems to be imploding for old V12s. I've seen cars that stickered for 190k going for 30-40k just a few years later. Scary!

63 engine? Must have is mid 10 or newer because of head bolts and some other issues. I'd like a P31 with the LSD .
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Originally Posted by Viper98912
So basically, everyone seems to like or at least respect both cars...
Soooooooo, why not just get both then
Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 PM

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by C230 Mulac
Soooooooo, why not just get both then
good idea
Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
Without a doubt I'd say CLK black. It will hold its value better, be more reliable, and looks AMAZING. Its an iconic car. I will have one someday
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55
Tough choice, maybe black series for me. More rare and will hold value better.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series, 2022 BMW X3 M40i
This is a bit biased, but I'll have to also say CLK63 BS.

I was fortunate to find a pristine condition and low mileage CLK63 BS a few months ago. It even came with an extended warranty good til 2016. I bought the BS for similar reasons you listed above. I knew I wanted to own a M156 engine and was considering a C63 507, but when I went to see the CLK63 BS in person, I quickly changed my mind. I knew I had to own this special car. I wasn't even planning on buying a new car til next year. But when the opportunity came about, I couldn't pass it up.

I think the CLK63 BS will hold it's value really well since it's already taken the bulk of the depreciation hit. Most BS owners take good care of their cars, so maybe you can find a good one out there that meets your price point.

As far as exterior and interior styling goes. Yeah, it might be a bit older, but I think it's still nice. For me, it wasn't about getting the latest options or newest styling. There's a classic look to the CLK63 BS that I've always admired. I didn't purchase the car to impress anyone so having new car gadgets and technology didn't matter. I just simply love what this car is and wanted to own a piece of AMG history. Most importantly though, it's the raw power and handling of the car that sealed the deal.

You've probably already seen this, but Carlos Lago from MotorTrend best describes the CLK63 BS in this video:

There's also Jeremy Clarkson's review of the CLK63 BS

When you get the chance to test drive the CLK63, you'll understand. Best of luck with your search!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by tw2
Clk63BS definitely. I hated the clock initially but i really like it now, wouldn't be without it, it grows on you.
Pic please.

And BS all day long. I see 65's. I've only seen 2 CLK BS on the road.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ahhhhhhh man now you've got me looking...beautiful!!! http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=2&Log=0
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ah yes that red one on trader, I had looked at those pix before. I've really looked at all of them already, heh...

I've pretty much seen every youtube video there is on these cars....hours and hours on the weekends....
Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
lol, the GTR is a great "drivers car" but not quite the same you know. If that type of car is what you are looking for then yes I would take the GTR over all of those but at the end of the day there is something to be said about German engineering and prestige.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:26 AM

c55
which

Imagine the clk63 black as a c55 with all the wish list mods already installed (hp increase, wide body, rear diff w/cooler, carbon interior etc.). For any moment of spirited driving in the 55 that you wished you had even a little bit more hp or better handling - the 63 is better than that.

Think of those days (if ever, of course) where you park the C. Hop out, while walking away still looking at the car, appreciating the lines and grinning to yourself how much of a beast your stylish yet sedated looking sedan is.... and a tiny voice whispers in your head "Yeah but wouldnt it be nice if it was a smidge flashier too?"... the Black is for you

The sl65 is more of a change of pace than the Clk. The acceleration is rocket ship good in that thing for starters. Youll be counting down for blast off on freeway on-ramps, AND you can do it with the top down. I also agree with you on the R230's design, very well thought out.

Hard to make a suggestion after reading what I just typed lol, although if more elegant is what your looking for and a possible brake, ABC, or coil pack issue wont have you eating top ramen for a month then I think I would go with the SL.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:29 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by pointman
Pic please.
This is from my early CLK55. The CLK63 has the facelift E-class instruments just like the w211 E63. I personally like the pre-facelift dash a lot better, the thinner markings and numbers with the white looks a lot more sophisticated to me. I thought the clock was stupid and very out of place when I first looked at the E/CLK's but now I like it. Would I prefer it wasn't there? yes probably ever so slightly, I would take the C55 dash if I had a choice but the clock doesn't bother me in the slightest.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The next upgrade: SL65 or CLKBS