C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

PLM Heat Exchanger, Separation Kit, or PTE Thermostat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32 amg
PLM Heat Exchanger, Separation Kit, or PTE Thermostat?

There is a lot of claims out there by PLM Heat Exchanger sellers that it "significantly" reduces the IAT & increases horsepower especially in hot driving conditions. Does anyone knows what is meant by significant? is it 5 degrees, 10 degrees, or more? Is there any data that backs this? Is this method more efficient than purchasing the "Separation Kit" from NeedsWings which separates the radiator from the stock heat exchanger? Same claim is made there. Also replacing the Themostat with PTE increases coolant flow and lowers the IAT. which method is better? all in all, a lot of claims. Any proof? I appreciate insights on this issue.

andy T.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
I had the PTE thermostat, Eurocharged heat exchanger (PLM is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier), -10c mod, needswings isolation kit and the car would not go over 80c on the instrument cluster. The thermostat made the car run richer for sure, and definitely colder and felt faster. I don't have exact numbers on hand, but I never got heat soak even on hot days
Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Don't know about the PLM Heat Exchanger sellers but have not seen claims like that from EC or Needswings. Same goes for Patrick PTE. What I can tell you is that after installing the EC Heat Exchanger and Code3 cooling separation kit with a reservoir. My IATs are mostly at 30F above ambient temps while cruising and the recovery time back to 30F above from WOT runs is much shorter. Now, as far as the HP is concerned, the lower your IATs the more power you will make. The cooling separation kit also depressurizes the SC intercooling system and that in turn may be beneficial as far as the SC intercooler longevity is concerned.
I also have the PTE thermostat, understand the theory behind it and I see that it does it's job. Sometimes too good. On cold days like this morning, I got P0128 code (which gets erased right away via the Dashdaq). Where are you located? What's the climate like? What are your mods?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
Originally Posted by Lenin
Don't know about the PLM Heat Exchanger sellers but have not seen claims like that from EC or Needswings. Same goes for Patrick PTE. What I can tell you is that after installing the EC Heat Exchanger and Code3 cooling separation kit with a reservoir. My IATs are mostly at 30F above ambient temps while cruising and the recovery time back to 30F above from WOT runs is much shorter. Now, as far as the HP is concerned, the lower your IATs the more power you will make. The cooling separation kit also depressurizes the SC intercooling system and that in turn may be beneficial as far as the SC intercooler longevity is concerned.
I also have the PTE thermostat, understand the theory behind it and I see that it does it's job. Sometimes too good. On cold days like this morning, I got P0128 code (which gets erased right away via the Dashdaq). Where are you located? What's the climate like? What are your mods?
+1 I'd also get the code on cold days, here in sunny southern california...so it definitely does its job. I'd just erase it as well