C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

MB Dealer/Tech advises me to not service transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C55
MB Dealer/Tech advises me to not service transmission?

Hey guys, My car is at the dealer for an unrelated service issue (shattered sunroof/insurance claim) I asked the service advisor about the trans service and he replied that it should be done at 39k. I currently have 52k. He mentioned to me that they would do a flush with new filter, conductor plate gasket etc. I showed some hesitation about flushing the tranny from everything I hear here on mbworld and the web and asked if he could ask the master tech to see what he advises. Well I get a call from the advisor and he says the tech told him not to touch it? As in not to service it at all? I don't mind paying the money 700 which I agree is steep but if it is recommended than so be it. So now I'm between a rock and a hard place.. I want it serviced and I also want it serviced RIGHT! Should I just drain the 4-5 liters that fall out the pan and call it a day? Is the conductor plate also changed during a pan service? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks. Jay
Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 PM

2002 C32
I think they are just afraid that if it's never been serviced, putting fresh fluid in it could dislodge something and brake your transmission. unless you car was abused i don't think it'll do any damage. The car is supposed to be flushed every 40k like they originally said. They are just being lazy. Tell them to change the pan filter and gasket and drain the torque converter if they can too. (some of them have drain plugs on them). Your car will shift smoother with better fluid. If for some reason your transmission was barely holding together with gunk from bad fluid, atleast it will fail close to when you had it serviced instead of for no reason on a road trip.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
E55 AMG
Conductor plate sits on top of the valve body and does not need to be changed if you don't notice any odd shifting or go into limp mode. Your car only has 52k miles. For the sake of preventative maintenance you would replace something like the conductor plate at a 100k miles. If you just want to do a service on the transmission it is only really fluid, filter, and gaskets. With your low mileage just draining the pan overnight is more than enough. I'm ready to to do a thorough service of the transmission myself and it only cost me about $140 for an MB filter, gasket, copper ring, plug, Fuchs 4134 fluid, and an ebay dipstick that I am waiting for. The transmission fluid has to have MB certification 236.12 or 236.14.

Last edited by Richardmozis; 01-09-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I would suggest you do it and so do the MB techs I work with. They want me to rebuild it actually just to keep it from failing in the future. 3 of our techs with 722.6 trans have rebuilt it just for maintenance so you should at the very least service it.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Still do it, but take it to an independent reputable MB mechanic and you won't get raped for simple work.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 PM

Mercedes C55
durableswedish , It's not "that" over due @ 52k but I agree maybe they are just being lazy? and unfortunately there is no drain on the torque converter.. I think many members have got there service drain/flush well past 52k.

RichardMozis, I think that what I'll do, keep it simple as I'm not tying to open a can of worms.

JonMBZ, Do you and your fellow techs recommend the drain or the flush? I wish I had the experience/knowledge to rebuild my tranny! I'll just continue to tinker with my rc planes and turbine powered rc boats.

Gramma_Benz, I have an great Indy but just thought I would get there opinion on the matter. I think I was quoted aprox 300 from my Iny a while ago. Considering the dealer works on 722.6's all day I thought they would have some more helpful insight. i.e recommendations, past experiences etc..

Thanks for the replies.

Jay

Last edited by Sea55; 01-09-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
I like to drain from the pan. Fluid every 20k, filter every 40k. I figure after a drain or two, all the old fluid is out of there.

They may claim it's a "Lifetime fill," but I don't believe that. It's still oil in there that deals with a lot of moving parts and heat, and needs to be changed at intervals just like your engine oil. Same thing could happen just as if you never changed your engine oil, something will go bad sooner or later.

If you know how to change your engine oil, I'd recommend doing this one yourself - it's your car and you're going to have higher standards and quality control in comparison to someone who is trying to get it done as quickly done, but maybe not as properly as they should (got to beat what the book time is!)

Conductor plate I wouldn't even worry about unless you have symptoms of a faulty one.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Another thing to mention is to change that electrical connector to the trans too. It's only $10 from AutohausAZ for an OE piece (compared to $5 for aftermarket). Can be a source for leaks. The independent shop I use when I can't handle the job routinely swaps that piece whenever they do a transmission service.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:16 AM

c55T
[QUOTE
Conductor plate I wouldn't even worry about unless you have symptoms of a faulty one.[/QUOTE]

What are the symptoms of a faulty conductor plate?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
E55 AMG
Since the 722.6 transmission is electronically controlled the electrical conductor plate basically controls the transmission. If the contacts become bad with the solenoids or metal particles build up on the speed sensor it is not going to work properly.

Symptoms are jerking or harsh engagement of the different gears (P R N D) while stationary. Also if the car goes into 'limp home' mode while you are driving and won't let you get out of 2nd gear then conductor plate is causing issues.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 AM

c55T
OK, thank you for your answer.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Well when they take the tranny apart its ez to drain, but what I did (not saying it is the best method) was drain and refill. few weeks later did it again. I think others have detached the trans cooler line and let it pump it all out while refilling.