C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

MD State Safety Inspection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes C32
Angry MD State Safety Inspection

Would you believe that I can't pass my MD safety inspection because of the tint on the windows?!?! So I have two options to pass the inspection:

1) Remove tint...ouch! Sounds expensive!

2) Go to MD State Police and have them inspect the car and give it an exemption. It has to be 35% transparency in MD to pass.

One way is expensive and the other sounds like a huge hassle. The worst part is that the dealer that is inspecting the car can't even tell the level of tint. I mean....they are fully able to certify the car for ALL other safety concerns....but not tint. I feel like I went to bed last night and woke up in Bizarro World!

Does anyone know of a way to test the level of tint? If I can figure that out, I'll pursue the exemption cert. route. Otherwise, I'll have to strip her of her privacy.

Here are some pics of the car at the TX dealer, I have no pics yet, weather still sucks.

http://photos.yahoo.com/redwards

Last edited by TugBoat; 12-19-2003 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG, CLK 320
tint

Take the tint off. I took my tint off myself. I live in Clarksville, MD.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
tint

I used to tint professionally here in the DC area and in NYC. Your car looks like it has 35%. It should pass although your factory tint might take it 2 or 3% darker than the legal limit. It may look more transparent in the photos though because of the white background. If it's not 35% it's definitely no darker than 20% which is illegal in MD.

Try "Tint Shop" on Rockville Pike Near the East Gude intersection. They have light meters which will tell you the percentage of your tint. They might know how to get your car to pass inspection if it's too dark. If not you'll have to strip it down, pass inspection , then retint the car. Be careful on the rear window, it's possible to damage the window defogger when removing the old tint. You should be fine though case your car is brand new. Usually with cars that have had the tint on for longer periods it's harder to remove the film.

Good luck...