C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

H&R coilovers installed, have questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
H&R coilovers installed, have questions

I just got the coilovers installed, and I was wondering one thing. I have them on the highest settings, and the car is still pretty low. I was under the impression that I could adjust the car so it is the same ride-height as stock.

Also, the stock told me that I have to take out the back shocks everytime I want to adjust the height becasue the adjustment is on the top of the shock.

Overall, I wasn't especially impressed with the handling of the car, it seems pretty similar to stock, likewise with the comfort level.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
Even being adjustable, I didn't think that achieving stock height with coilovers was possible.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:06 PM

c32 & 330i
I don't think the adjustment is sitting on top of the shocks, instead it should be on top of the springs(or below), I don't recall. But there is an arm that holds both the shocks and the springs, either way, to ajust the height would be a whole lot of trouble.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:44 PM

Re: H&R coilovers installed, have questions

Originally posted by 99ITR_SC

Overall, I wasn't especially impressed with the handling of the car, it seems pretty similar to stock, likewise with the comfort level.
similar to stock? damn... so the cup kit will be even worse...
then swaping brand name springs seems like an ideal way to go for me...
Old 12-19-2003, 07:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
evosport and every other member said the ride comfort is the same and based on everyone else's comments, I'd say that you don't drive your car hard enough to notice the change... Afterall, you left them set to the highest rideheight, which is a definite no no with coilovers

Did you expect something uncomfortable?
Old 12-19-2003, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally posted by vraa
, which is a definite no no with coilovers
why is that a no no?
Old 12-20-2003, 07:33 AM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG
so is there really a difference in performance if you turn the ESP off? and is there a difference in performance after you run a few thousand miles into the car?
Old 12-20-2003, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally posted by A///MG_Power
so is there really a difference in performance if you turn the ESP off? and is there a difference in performance after you run a few thousand miles into the car?
yes.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AMG BRED
why is that a no no?
Typically, it is recommended to be about 20% away from the highest or lowest settings in order to allow the springs and struts to function fully. Any system at its highest setting can top out (opposite of bottoming out) as a result of there being no way it can go higher. Setting the car slightly away from these levels allows the suspension to work more without hitting its limits.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by A///MG_Power
With the ESP on (or off), H&R coilovers made a HUGE difference in the handling of our C32 at Willow Springs. Every Mercedes I have ever updated the suspension on has highly benefited from it. In fact, short of a supercharger (or in the C32's case, our Stage II upgrade), I would recommend upgrading the suspension over any other modification.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:36 PM

C32 AMG
evosport and every other member said the ride comfort is the same and based on everyone else's comments, I'd say that you don't drive your car hard enough to notice the change... Afterall, you left them set to the highest rideheight, which is a definite no no with coilovers
What are you talking about? You're making assumptions about me based on what other people have said? And you haven't even tested them yourself???

They are on the highest level and the car is quite low. I wouldn't even consider driving the car on the road if it were any lower (i would surely be ticketed). It is substantially lower than stock. It is also still very comfortable, close to stock.

And one shouldn't have to test the car to the limit to feel the difference with shocks. My old car, I swapped the suspension, and at every speed I could feel a very noticable handling change. I have driven the car very hard since installing the coilovers, and I do notice some improvement, but not quite the same improvement as adding suspension on other cars (i.e. E46 M3).

Overall, I am pretty happy, but was quite taken-back with the performance when compared with Evosport's claims.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, I made assumptions based on every other comment I have seen from C32 owners with H&R coilovers. And my comment about leaving the coilovers at their uppermost or lowest settings is entirely correct! But what do I know, you've driven an M3

Calm down man, I just tried helping, sheesh, some people these days.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:46 PM

2002 C-32 AMG Renntech
I'm suprised. I can honestly say that the H&R CO's made a night and day difference on my car. Maybe you don't have it set up right...who knows. I did do the swaybars as well...so maybe that is a contributing factor as well...
Old 12-22-2003, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
If you're trying to get harder suspension I hear that the Carlsson coilover kit and bilstien PSS9 are the best. I'm going for the carlsson kit when I upgrade next.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:17 PM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally posted by 99ITR_SC
What are you talking about? You're making assumptions about me based on what other people have said? And you haven't even tested them yourself???

They are on the highest level and the car is quite low. I wouldn't even consider driving the car on the road if it were any lower (i would surely be ticketed). It is substantially lower than stock. It is also still very comfortable, close to stock.

And one shouldn't have to test the car to the limit to feel the difference with shocks. My old car, I swapped the suspension, and at every speed I could feel a very noticable handling change. I have driven the car very hard since installing the coilovers, and I do notice some improvement, but not quite the same improvement as adding suspension on other cars (i.e. E46 M3).

Overall, I am pretty happy, but was quite taken-back with the performance when compared with Evosport's claims.

I think you might be confusing the the damper setting and the height setting.

The height setting on coilover is on the shock body itself.

To adjust it, you'd need to jack the car up and then adjust the spring perch to the highest position (coilover utilize threaded body for the front strut. and it has perch where you can move it up and down along those threads. And this is the part where you can adjust the height)

Adjustment on the top is normally for damper adjustment and or rebound adjustment of the shock... and it has nothing to do with the spring..

On the coil over the spring position that determine the ride-height..

I hope this make clear of everything.

Regardz,