C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Just Replaced Intake Manifold On C55 Ran Into Major Issues! Please Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 W211 E500
Hi ZAYED! No, the power stays the same and it idles almost perfect. There is low end power loss and it feels like maybe 10-20% or it could just be in my mind lol. It felt like it stumbled a couple of times. High RPM feels great. I have been waiting for a check engine light but it has not come on.

When I hook up my OBDII computer the orange (I think its emissions) light comes on instead of the green light. It was always green before this problem started and red at its worst.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 346 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Hi,

that's another good sign, you may have to drive a car little bit more, to make sure no any mixture lift to Engine/Exhaust & fully prepared circulation,

*in mean time; it will be good if you can make a compression test, it's important to see what's the condition of the piston's pressure..!

ZAYED,,
Old 02-01-2015, 02:50 AM

C32AMG
So you are on the finish straight! Goot to hear it.

The power loss is placebo, because you are oversensitive now after all the troubles.

The sulphate smell is from your cats.

There are 2 options:
1. your cats are full with petrol from the leaking injectors and the missfirings.
This means you need to drive it a little bit so everything evaporates and you are hapy after that.

2. The cats are burnt from the missfiring and petrol in the exhaust system.

Guess is the #1 option

Just put more miles on her, take it to the highway so the exhaust can heat up and clean itself
Old 02-01-2015, 09:49 PM

2003 W211 E500
Update Update Update!

Hey Guys',

Just went out and drove the car for a while. The power is back and NO SMOKE at all when I got back! It is also about 60 degrees outside and even with the colder weather, nothing. I forgot how fast that thing is lol. I drove it moderately hard just to make sure and it drives and idles perfect. I was so paranoid while driving it that the traction control light came on and I thought it was the check engine light lol

So lets recap the events for everybody who is interested.
I was out driving, car started running funny and stumbling, hard start and white smoke. Had the car towed home.

Removed injectors to find out that one was stuck open (leaking a lot of gasoline into the motor including cats), and one with a broken pintle.

Replaced injectors, started the car and it ran perfect with the exception of the white smoke still being there.
Drained the oil to find that it had a toxic smell and was a little dark and flushed the radiator because the coolant was a weird color and had a slight toxic smell as well.
Started the car and the smoke was still there but a lot less. Drove it around and it was even less. Drove it around the next day and there was no smoke at all when I came back. YES!

Here is my summary and what I believe was the cause.
I do not believe that this problem had anything to do with me replacing my intake. This had something to do with me cleaning my injectors the wrong way and screwing 2 of them up (This could have happened whether or not I cleaned them or not but I thought it was ironic).
Now, while driving, when the car started stumbling, it was do to the injector being stuck open and pouring gas into the motor causing the misfires and very hard start (I tried to start it way to many times which caused even more gas to flow and it eventually reached the cats). When the gas reached the catalytic converters the white smoke started because it was burning it off (It probably somehow reached the oil as well). The white smoke coming out of the tail pipes after everything was fixed was the fuel and bad fluids being burnt away by the heat and catalytic converters.
If that seems wrong to anybody please feel free to chime in and give your opinion because I am not a mechanic.

Throughout this whole thing there was white smoke but no milkshake oil/coolant mix. The head gasket was not blown.

Thank you very much ZAYED, Husqvarna and everybody that stuck with me throughout this issue. You guys are definite assets to this forum!

Jason

Last edited by sidewayzgt; 02-02-2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:10 AM

C32AMG
Your sumary of the events is 100% right!
I believe i was the only one who said it to you, even if you don't mentioned me
Now you know how not to properly clean the injectors.
And put more miles on this beuty, these cars need driving and nothing more
Old 02-02-2015, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad to hear your bride comes to life again Jason..,

i think you had "2" issues:-

1) bad injectors, which caused bad starting/random misfiring/bad Emissions/bad sparking of fuel-air mixture",

2) white smoke, which i believe caused from mixing of coolant/oil,,

when you change the oil & flush the radiator with replace spark plugs+long driving, all Exhaust/Emissions with O2 sensors get dry, and everything back to normal..

ZAYED,,
Old 02-02-2015, 02:44 AM

2003 W211 E500
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Your sumary of the events is 100% right!
I believe i was the only one who said it to you, even if you don't mentioned me
Now you know how not to properly clean the injectors.
And put more miles on this beuty, these cars need driving and nothing more
What do you mean? I mentioned you
Old 02-02-2015, 02:52 AM

C32AMG
Originally Posted by cm60k
Glad to hear your bride comes to life again Jason..,

i think you had "2" issues:-

1) bad injectors, which caused bad starting/random misfiring/bad Emissions/bad sparking of fuel-air mixture",

2) white smoke, which i believe caused from mixing of coolant/oil,,

when you change the oil & flush the radiator with replace spark plugs+long driving, all Exhaust/Emissions with O2 sensors get dry, and everything back to normal..

ZAYED,,
He dad only 1 issue:
Bad injectors from improper cleaning > pooring gas in the combustion chamber > drowned and killing the spark plugs > the engine stutter and gas filling the exhausts and the car starts to smoke > he cranked and cranked many times and completely cloged the cats with gas, also gas get trough the piston rings of the "drowned" cylinders and contaminated the oil aswell.

Majority of the thick smoke was from gas in the exhaust, and maybe little bit from the contaminated and ultra thin oil > after he changed the oil the smoke was less and it was only from the gas in cats > there was fire in the exhaust! "The car also smells like a slight funky burnt smell" At this time your exhaust and cats was RED hot If you check it at this stage you will be scared of the sight.

There wasn't any problems with the coolant fluid! Or mixture of oil/coolant Not a single reason to consider it, since it was clean like a brand new!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:55 AM

C32AMG
Originally Posted by sidewayzgt
What do you mean? I mentioned you
It was a remind that we drink beers
Just joking! All of us are glad that managed to sort your car!
You where close to give up, is'n it
Now i'm happy that the beuty is again on the road and roaring strong
Old 02-02-2015, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There wasn't any problems with the coolant fluid! Or mixture of oil/coolant Not a single reason to consider it, since it was clean like a brand new!
Then why coolant goes dark & dark, and why oil get milky, (see post #47), i don't think bad injector can cause oil to be MILKY isn't..!!!!

ZAYED,,
Old 02-02-2015, 03:38 AM

C32AMG
Then why coolant goes dark & dark, and why oil get milky, (see post #47), i don't think bad injector can cause oil to be MILKY isn't..!!!!

ZAYED,,
post #47 is picture of the oil cap, there are not sighns of milky oil!
If there is some milky under the cap, this is from the condenstaion from the city driving at short distance!
And i don't see whre the coolant gets darker and darker... It's orange, but this is the color of the coolant. Many different brands have different types and colors. Like blue,green, pink, yellow, orange etc.
Post #63 shows the cooland clean and pretty as a picture.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My friend's E55, got the same coolant color when it's starting mixing with oil, but he ignore that till coming more dark, for that i don't want jason to ignore it till his Engine goes away,,

Jason stated in post 47, that oil get milky, he pictured that to see the oil around the cap & how's looks like inside either..!

hope i'm not misunderstanding on this..

ZAYED,,
Old 02-02-2015, 04:06 AM

C32AMG
My friend's E55, got the same coolant color when it's starting mixing with oil, but he ignore that till coming more dark, for that i don't want jason to ignore it till his Engine goes away,,

Jason stated in post 47, that oil get milky, he pictured that to see the oil around the cap & how's looks like inside either..!

hope i'm not misunderstanding on this..

ZAYED,,
Now it's more understandable what you wanted to say!

But as i understand post #47, Jason mixed manually oil with coolant to make it milky...?

However he can monitor the coolant the next days just for security. But i doub't there will be any more problems!!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm just want to secure that oil not sneaks to the water, if does, long long time to chasing the issue,,

my friend replaced his assembly Engine just cause he ignoring little oil in the cooling system for about 3 weeks,

when Jason sorted his cooler & flushing Radiator with new oil, he discovered the issue soo easily,,

that's the bottom line for a proper & better inspection..

ZAYED,,
Old 02-02-2015, 04:48 AM

C32AMG
I'm just want to secure that oil not sneaks to the water, if does, long long time to chasing the issue,,

my friend replaced his assembly Engine just cause he ignoring little oil in the cooling system for about 3 weeks,

when Jason sorted his cooler & flushing Radiator with new oil, he discovered the issue soo easily,,

that's the bottom line for a proper & better inspection..

ZAYED,,
Hi ZEYED, i understand your explanation about your friends E55 and the outcome.

But you seems to miss the nature of Jason's problem!

Jason did flush of the radiator because was not aware what is the real problem! And he was striking in the dark!
He did not change the oil cooler i think, but only the O rings (common point of leaking oil, but not mixing it with coolant!!!)

You still thinks that the problem disapears when he flush the fluids... No!

The cause of the problem was described by me few posts above. After the flushes, he let the engine run little bit more, and everything of the exhaust was burnt, and the smoke starts to go away. For that reason you may consider the fresh fluids helped heal the smoke. But trust me, the same happy end will be if he only changed the oil and let the car run till the exhaust cleens itself!
Let's not trow any worries for Jason

Last edited by husqvarna; 02-02-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi,

Yeah, It could be..!, but better to save $$$ without nightmares, isn't..?

Ahh, forget to mention that i had dark orange coolant with my previous R129 SL55, i replaced the Engine and hate the car after that..

ZAYED,,
Old 02-02-2015, 11:12 AM

2003 W211 E500
Hey guys!

It was both of your diagnosis's that I put together to get the final product. The main point is that the car is fixed and the problem is solved. It was the collaborated effort of both of you (and everybody else that helped) that helped me solve this issue so nobody is wrong. The smoke was white so it was both water or wateresk fluid of some sort hitting something ignited or burning (like when there is a fire and the smoke turns white from the water hitting the flames). Thank you both (and everybody else that helped) very much for your input! I am also positive that this thread will be looked at frequently by forum members to save them money on not having to replace their head gasket if its not necessary.

Jason
Old 02-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,039 Likes on 1,421 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Jason

It's people like you and your contributions to this forum and all the awesome people that chimed in that make this forum awesome

I'm so happy for you!!

Regards
Old 02-02-2015, 12:12 PM

2003 W211 E500
Thanks for the compliment Peter! I own a C55 with over 100K and with all of the little upgrades and tech questions that I will have, you and I both know I am just getting started, but its worth it!

Last edited by sidewayzgt; 02-02-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,039 Likes on 1,421 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by sidewayzgt
Thanks for the compliment Peter! I own a C55 with over 100K and with all of the little upgrades and tech questions that I will have, you and I both know I am just getting started, but its worth it!
Jason, I'm always amazed an appreciative of the type of automotive knowledge u and your fellow enthusiasts here have and the savvy to get a job done... You would make the amg engineers proud!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:36 PM

C32AMG
Jason, you said it right! The main point is that the car is now sorted and on the road again!
Sorry to put mess on your thread with the last few posts in which i and ZAYED discussed the events!
But i wanted to give accurate pattern to others who may develop simillar problem!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
I'm glad to hear this issue has been worked out, well done
Old 02-02-2015, 01:40 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
What sealant are you using ?
I used "the right stuff" as it's actually called lol

http://www.permatex.com/products/our...he-right-stuff
Old 02-02-2015, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Jason

It's people like you and your contributions to this forum and all the awesome people that chimed in that make this forum awesome

I'm so happy for you!!

Regards
Well Said Peter..

ZAYED,,
Old 02-02-2015, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jason, you said it right! The main point is that the car is now sorted and on the road again!
Sorry to put mess on your thread with the last few posts in which i and ZAYED discussed the events!
But i wanted to give accurate pattern to others who may develop simillar problem!
+1..

ZAYED,,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Replaced Intake Manifold On C55 Ran Into Major Issues! Please Help