Coated vs. Uncoated Headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
C 32 AMG & FG2 Civic Si
Coated vs. Uncoated Headers

Hi all,

Ordered a pair of Eurocharged headers for the C32. Won't be installing them for a while because I'm really busy with school and work.

Can anyone speak from experience about either coated or uncoated headers? Any issues? I'm thinking about getting them ceramic coated from a highly regarded company who claims their coating will be good up to ~2500 degrees F, but it isn't cheap!

Anyone with suggestions or experience, please let me know your thoughts!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Its a good idea but i would want to test fit them first before spending the money on that. Make sure they are perfect as most headers are low volume hand made and not all are created equal.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by tw2
test fit them first before spending the money on that.

Probably not a bad idea. I was fortunate enough to catch a defect on my Kleemann headers before sending them off to Swaintech for ceramic coating. Would have sucked to catch it after the fact. Here's a link to a pic of the crooked pipe. Kleemann did replace the headers with no hassles.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post2431837
Old 02-12-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 amg
A correctly applied ceramic coating will never harm headers. Now there are a ton of different coatings out there for different applications. So make sure that you are getting the correct coating. Now there are four main things that can affect how long headers last; how well its made, how much vibration they take, corrosion, and heat. Since you can't control the first two that much, heat and corrosion are the only things we can deal with. Ceramics are great insulators and do not corrode. They allow the headers them self to stay cooler and in the end last longer. Make sure they are coated inside and out. The inside allows more of the heat to stay in the exhaust and helps the exhaust flow faster. The outside keeps the headers looking nice.

That is all from material classes I have taken. And if I'm wrong on anything someone else can chime in and correct me.